Dog Has The Shits

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

​blood could be where dog has been straining to go. I would starve for 24 hrs then give bit of burnt toast or charcoal biscuits.I used to feed butchers waste so never had problems with dog having dia

When mine was on dried and they seem to go off it,I would put little bit of gravy over it,just enough to coat the biscuit.

They can get a little excited when out for walk and the stools can become a lil loose. When you say the shits do you mean like water or runny poo? Only feed him the rice and chicken once a day and don

Had a look on Lawson's website looks decent. Is that gain food good?

What's the difference between the gain 20 and 28? I do work the dog on a weekend with the ferrets and the odd night out on the lamp. Gets walked twice a day think that food will do?

Yeah it's spot on, difference is protein content 28 being higher. I used to use the 28 but found it a little too high for my 2 so I swapped to 20 and I add abit of fish or meat couple times a week. I think to be using 28 you need to be working them 4+ nights a week hard.

Cheers Sweeney I will call in tomorrow after work and grab a bag of the 20. Cheaper than the postage fee.

I have bought a whole cooked chicken from the supermarket and given him some of that with rice and a few biscuits. Tucked into the chicken straight away so will see how he gets on.

Thanks for the advice appreciate it and I will keep clear from tinned meat :)

Cheers Sweeney I will call in tomorrow after work and grab a bag of the 20. Cheaper than the postage fee.

I have bought a whole cooked chicken from the supermarket and given him some of that with rice and a few biscuits. Tucked into the chicken straight away so will see how he gets on.

Thanks for the advice appreciate it and I will keep clear from tinned meat :)

:thumbs:

Always done as Forest of Dean said, If they have sloppy shit, then first thing I do is starve for 24hrs. let the body have a chance at getting the bad stuff out rather than just keep feeding it....

If it persists after the 24hrs, then it's not just an 'upset stomach' from something it's eaten. So you need to start looking at adding extra fibre, carbon or bones to it's food to help firm the poop again, and if it still persists then Antibiotics or the vet.

Blood in the poo is never good, but if it's only a small amount then just keep an eye on it. If it increases then straight to the vet.

By the way if your feeding Complete food and the dog turns it's nose up then try adding some flavour to it! meat, fish, even a bit of Gravy will help. You try eating the same dinner every day of your life!!!

• Like 1

Yea i have given him some rice and chicken last night and he has eaten the lot when i checked on him this morning. Will have to see in a couple of days if its hardened up.

As for going off his food somebody said the same and i guess it makes sense. That's why i started mixing tinned meat with it as i thought it was something new and different flavors so he wasn't having the same thing every night. But i now know to stay well clear of it :)

Went out with him yesterday and looked a lot better in the kennel. He had one crap and it was just about solid but when we were on a walk he had the shits again.

This is only his second day with the rice and chicken so hopefully it should improve. There was no blood in it at all so hopefully that is a better sign. He is still drinking and running around like normal. Hes loving his food too so will give it another day or so and if no better then i will go to the vets

Went out with him yesterday and looked a lot better in the kennel. He had one crap and it was just about solid but when we were on a walk he had the shits again.

This is only his second day with the rice and chicken so hopefully it should improve. There was no blood in it at all so hopefully that is a better sign. He is still drinking and running around like normal. Hes loving his food too so will give it another day or so and if no better then i will go to the vets

They can get a little excited when out for walk and the stools can become a lil loose. When you say the shits do you mean like water or runny poo? Only feed him the rice and chicken once a day and don't give him loads either a little less than normally feed him. :thumbs:

• Like 2