Future Busher

bullx100%

Looking for bit info lads...I'm after a busher but don't no what breed to go with I'm after something that can do bit of multi tasking..on my permission it's mainly woodland and hedgerows and reed beds I'm after something that's not to head strong and doesn't hunt to far away as it will be pushing quarry to lurches but also want it for working under the gun.now I don't need it to be trained to a gun dog standard with all the hand commands and all that...just after something trainable and steady.i also do shooting at night with lamp wich I shoot rabbits and also Ferrara so would like to take it with me for that as we'll.........any suggestions on what breeds I should be looking at......i have had a full spaniel but the running round in circles like a headless chicken isn't really my kind of thing to whatch....was thinking along the lines of terrier cross spaniel or 3/4 spaniel 1/4 terrier only thing what is concerning me with spaniel terrier is that a couple I have herd of has gone to ground when very close up to its quarry wich for me Is a big no no............so any advice lads ?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was in same position, cant get on with spaniels they make me dizzy. Can handle terriers but much prefer bolters if they are gonna drop in. Don't need hound blood so that wasn't an option. In end I b

We've got a few little Russells in our bushing team and they are cracking little dogs I swear by them for bushing very obedient and never drop in they will mark for a earth dog to be dropped in I can'

they make life easy

1/2 spaniel should give you something that wont go miles, plus a trainable type in my opinion.

Half spaniel half terrier?

Wouldn't this type be able get to ground tho? I no a lad who's mate bred a litter of spaniel Russell's and the majority of the litter will go to ground....ever if they come out after an hour or so I couldn't cope with that.lol

the 3/4 cocker 1/4 russels iv seen didnt have good coat and would be sore as hell after a morning out,bit head strong for my liking,yes they faced any type cover but would miss stuff due to being shall we say a bit eratic,only what iv witnessed cheers

If you start with a terrier as a pup you can usually train them not to go to ground, I have had a couple just for rabbits over the years and they would not go to ground, my mate has 2 russell types from earth dog lines that he just uses for ferreting, they wont go to ground. Should be easy enough to train a half bred terrier not to go to ground, Hope you get what you are after mate.

ATB.

How are they round heavy cover is there size a disadvantage for brambles.

Hopeless would be the answer to that, I go out regular with lots of HPR's when flying hawks and they are not in the same league as my terriers, they are just physically too large, they will bounce on top forcing the odd bolt but are in no way efficient at it, horses for courses,I would suggest going out with some decent bushers that are good at it and make your own mind up, WM

Cheers for the input wcm ..........I like the idea of an Airedale as a jack of all trades but the very thick brambles would be a bit of a problem with them due to there size and bulk...I think terrier spaniel will probably be the end choice due to size....

I was in same position, cant get on with spaniels they make me dizzy. Can handle terriers but much prefer bolters if they are gonna drop in. Don't need hound blood so that wasn't an option. In end I bred me own out the dogs I use, made sense they do what I want an I know them and know how they work.might not suit everybody but my collie x terriers are doing well. Don't underestimate collie blood lol

Edited by Hot Meat
  • Like 5

have you not considered beagle x spaniel bullx100% a mate bred a litter a few years ago and by all accounts there doing really well. high prey drive, good nose and very biddable look at some of foxpacks post on here. might be something worth looking into. atb in your search mate :thumbs:

• Like 1

Life long Cumbrian , how do you train them not to go to ground ??

Instinct can and will just kick in surely ??

I have had rabbiting terriers and I don't know if it was more luck than anything but I never had problem..

There were bits where I knew earths and sets where I would avoid them or lead up..

I had a little black un for rabbits, it flushed a few foxes from seed beds and would scream on scent ..

My mate always wanted to try it in a earth but I did not want to start with digging its not my thing. I started worrying about that dog and collared it up..

I was in same position, cant get on with spaniels they make me dizzy. Can handle terriers but much prefer bolters if they are gonna drop in. Don't need hound blood so that wasn't an option. In end I bred me own out the dogs I use, made sense they do what I want an I know them and know how they work.might not suit everybody but my collie x terriers are doing well. Don't underestimate collie blood lol

I liked the idea of of yours and like the size they made not to big and not to small and enough brains to be easy enough to train.only problem is I don't have aether a terrier or collie or spaniel or anything in the way of a busher to breed my own lol........a full spaniel would do the job/s I need but like u the round and round and round starts to do my head in...how ever I think a collie x terrier will suit my needs pretty we'll.............you got a spare one lol