Saluki Temperament.

How did you get the dog going again Whitefeet ??

Good result..

Would of been sick if your pal got him on fire and kept telling you how good it was :victory:[/quote

Just went right back to basics, taking him out with another dog an keeping him on lead and loads of fuss. Now he is getting a bit too head strong but I will be very carefull how I rein him back in a bit coz I wouldn't want to go through that again

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

start training them around stock at an early age and you shouldn't need to give them a bollocking

buy taking them when young round stock,same as any dog,returning to you same as any dog rewards and praise, no dont get on your knees especialy in a sheep field,people might think your welsh,lol most

I am amazed that people think the only way to train is dog is by giving it a "bollocking"

Or try geting a big ball of wool with barbwire wraped in it then drag it let them chase it and grab it then give it a good pull watch next time thay dont do it agen

Glue Sniffer.
No mate coke sniffer but keep geting the ringpulls stuck lol
  • Like 2

So what do you do in the following situations.

You are walking with your three month old Saluki pup amongst sheep. They suddenly decide to leg it. Your pup looks interested and strains on the lead. He gets beside himself with excitement when his eye is drawn towards a straggler with foot rot. All his instincts are screaming at him to hunt down the weakest in the flock. By this time he is jumping up and down on the lead like a kangaroo. If it were my dog I would give several sharp tugs on the lead and shout 'no'! I would do this every opportunity I had until he wouldn't even look at sheep.

What would you Saluki lads do?

Secondly, your nine month old pup is off the lead and is inspecting some rabbit holes. You whistle him up. He knows that the whistle means to return to you because you've been rewarding him with treats and praise every time he has returned on command for the last few months. He ignores you.

I would run back to him and bollock him. For the rest of the walk I would let him go ten or twenty yards in front of me, whistle him, get down on my haunches and give him lots of praise when he returned. In other words, the carrot and stick principle. What would you saluki lads do if your pup failed to return when told?

I'm not looking for an argument, I want to learn how you saluki lads rub along with your dogs.

Edited by jukel123

I've found that by 'wedding' the pup to a dried rabbit skin through play at home, is a very good distraction technique when you need to get the pup's attention when out. Timing is everything: take the sheep for example .... the pup seeing the sheep legging it, wants to chase. You shout NO. LEAVE IT in a very loud and nasty voice, jerking on lead at same time, then straight away show him the rabbit skin, let him have a tug on it, praise him too, turn around and walk in opposite direction to sheep, letting pup hang on to rabbit skin.

When pup is sniffing rabbit holes, call him with a command which you have previously taught him at home: it may just be using his name in a certain tone of voice. I use their names in different ways according to the situation. I have a very excitable and driven Saluki lurcher: he wants to chase everything that moves, but I've also played tug with him at home with a rabbit skin dummy, which is a much bigger reward than just calling him to me for a fuss. As he is a very 'grabby' dog, one which always wants to get his mouth round things, the reward of grabbing the dummy is a big one.

Different things work for different dogs. If I wanted to distract him from something I say his name very sharply, but in an excited way, then run off dragging the rabbit skin behind me for him to run and grab. The important thing is to make yourself more exciting than other distractions. There may come a time when this is not enough, and chasing other dogs, animals will need more negative response from you: a good shake by the scruff, but you should always reward as a first choice. Get the dog on your side by making yourself more fun than anything else and go from there.

Having said that, I couldn't stop him chasing a rabbit, unlike the Collie based lurchers I've had in the past.

• Like 2

So what do you do in the following situations.

You are walking with your three month old Saluki pup amongst sheep. They suddenly decide to leg it. Your pup looks interested and strains on the lead. He gets beside himself with excitement when his eye is drawn towards a straggler with foot rot. All his instincts are screaming at him to hunt down the weakest in the flock. By this time he is jumping up and down on the lead like a kangaroo. If it were my dog I would give several sharp tugs on the lead and shout 'no'! I would do this every opportunity I had until he wouldn't even look at sheep.

What would you Saluki lads do?

Secondly, your nine month old pup is off the lead and is inspecting some rabbit holes. You whistle him up. He knows that the whistle means to return to you because you've been rewarding him with treats and praise every time he has returned on command for the last few months. He ignores you.

I would run back to him and bollock him. For the rest of the walk I would let him go ten or twenty yards in front of me, whistle him, get down on my haunches and give him lots of praise when he returned. In other words, the carrot and stick principle. What would you saluki lads do if your pup failed to return when told?

I'm not looking for an argument, I want to learn how you saluki lads rub along with your dogs.

Three month old saluki pups instinct screaming at him to hunt?? I have never seen such a young pups instinct kick in to hunt. But I do live in learn.

I am also not so power hungry that when i say jump my dog asks how hi. I let him/her have a sniff