F.a.o Whippet Owners

:hmm:Whippets,..Peds or Non-Peds,.are fabulous wee hunters,...and it is their amazing innate,.prey drive,. that makes them so dynamic and mind blowingly impressive...I've seen whippets catch rabbits,. that few other canine breeds could ever hope to stop,...

Unfortunately,.it is the very quality that we value in them,..their amazing will to win and a primitive determination to do or die,.whilst pursuing their quarry,..that often seals their fate....I've owned whippets and spudo whippets,..that literally got away with murder,. and even made old bones,.but almost always,..due to their action packed lives,.them poor old bones sure gave them some jip,..sooner or later...

Nowadays,..I still want the whippet (and Greyhound) influence,.. in a rabbiting/hedgerow cur,..but, for me,..a long lived canine always lasts longer,. if it can take continuous knocks and bounce a bit,..and that smidgen of sheepdog blood,.. realy does help...

Whippets are grand dogs,....as I say,...I used to keep em.... :thumbs:

Edited by Phil Lloyd
  • Like 4

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Whippets,..Peds or Non-Peds,.are fabulous wee hunters,...and it is their amazing innate,.prey drive,. that makes them so dynamic and mind blowingly impressive...I've seen whippets catch rabbits,. that

I've seen a few run and owned one too. Some of you know that he had to be pts last year due to a brain tumour at 2 1/2. I really like their temperament, prey drive and acceleration. I think they're tr

The land I work would break a whippet ........

Ever tried a whippet on your land?.......or are you just presuming?......

Funnily enough I have been around long enough to see it for myself ..........

:hmm:Whippets,..Peds or Non-Peds,.are fabulous wee hunters,...and it is their amazing innate,.prey drive,. that makes them so dynamic and mind blowingly impressive...I've seen whippets catch rabbits,. that few other canine breeds could ever hope to stop,...

Unfortunately,.it is the very quality that we value in them,..their amazing will to win and a primitive determination to do or die,.whilst pursuing their quarry,..that often seals their fate....I've owned whippets and spudo whippets,..that literally got away with murder,. and even made old bones,.but almost always,..due to their action packed lives,.them poor old bones sure gave them some jip,..sooner or later...

Nowadays,..I still like the whippet (and Greyhound) influence,.. in a rabbiting/hedgerow cur,..but,.for me,..a long lived canine always does better,. if it can take a knock and bounce a bit,..and that smidgen of sheepdog blood,.. rarely does any harm....Whippets are grand dogs,....I used to keep em.... :thumbs:

Nail on the head with that :thumbs:

love the whippet posts boys. ive tried whippet and seen a few run. they break to easy and the cold wind and rain actually hurts them. apart from this i think they are kool little dudes. :yes: and i would like one again one da :yes:

Really don't get the whippets break easily? Ask anyone what rhyl tip is like to run any dog my whippet does fine.

the first whippet i saw run got caught on a single stand after sailing over a rylock fence. was opened like a kipper. this dog was also uncomfortable in rain and wind. the next ran through a hawthorn hedge same result. :icon_eek: . the ground i work isnt suitable . the weather here can be serious even for a dog with a good hyde. i like them as working dogs but need a hardier dog. if that means slower then so be it . my presant lurcher is going into its eight season with no major injury issues. speaks for itself.

:thumbs: like i say i admire whippets they just dont suit me :thumbs:

Nowadays,..I still like the whippet (and Greyhound) influence,.. in a rabbiting/hedgerow cur,..but,.for me,..a long lived canine always does better,. if it can take a knock and bounce a bit,..and that smidgen of sheepdog blood,.. rarely does any harm....Whippets are grand dogs,....I used to keep em.... :thumbs:

The land I work would break a whippet ........

Ever tried a whippet on your land?.......or are you just presuming?......

Funnily enough I have been around long enough to see it for myself ..........

Like wise......Still not answered my question........So you never worked a whippet,I get it now.......

love the whippet posts boys. ive tried whippet and seen a few run. they break to easy and the cold wind and rain actually hurts them. apart from this i think they are kool little dudes. :yes: and i would like one again one da :yes:

Really don't get the whippets break easily? Ask anyone what rhyl tip is like to run any dog my whippet does fine.

the first whippet i saw run got caught on a single stand after sailing over a rylock fence. was opened like a kipper. this dog was also uncomfortable in rain and wind. the next ran through a hawthorn hedge same result. :icon_eek: . the ground i work isnt suitable . the weather here can be serious even for a dog with a good hyde. i like them as working dogs but need a hardier dog. if that means slower then so be it . my presant lurcher is going into its eight season with no major injury issues. speaks for itself.

:thumbs: like i say i admire whippets they just dont suit me :thumbs:

Fair enough good hunting

I've seen a few run and owned one too. Some of you know that he had to be pts last year due to a brain tumour at 2 1/2. I really like their temperament, prey drive and acceleration. I think they're truly great dogs for mooching, ferreting and ratting. their prey drive is unreal and as has already been said, my heart was in my mouth far more with that dog than with my current lurcher. There were a few times where I thought I was going to have to scrape him off the side of a tree.

Having said all this, my dog medicine box may as well not have had shelf space as it was out of the cupboard more than it was in it. Their skin takes very little to tear - I remember mine trotting past the handle of an old fashioned, decorative hand held plough. It barely touched him and yet he had to have stitches and was laid up for a fair few weeks. By the time he was pts, I couldn't take him lamping as he could only manage 5 runs max due to a previous toe injury. He was deadly when he got his quarry turning, you just knew it was a gonner but if it was a straight run he would struggle to gain much on a rabbit. Bad experiences? Maybe but once burnt, twice shy.

All of the above, plus a few others, were reasons why I decided to go for a beddy whippet X whippet grey. Acceleration is not quite that of a whippet but much better top end with better coat and skin. When I started taking him out for walks etc.as a 10-12 month old dog and giving him more freedom I was whincing at crashes and scrapes as if he was a whippet but there were only a few minor scratches. I think they're probably the best type of dog for ferreting but for me, a whippet isn't the right dog. It's one hell of a buzz watching a good one go :thumbs:

ATB

Sam

• Like 3