Weasel In Aviary , Trap Advice Please

I am sorry Paul but that is simply not true, when I had my tunnel traps set as a keeper I used catch weasels daily - bitches as well as dogs - and wood mice

OTC

Aye at one permission i was picking up more weasels and stoats with mk6 fenns than rabbits

Mate, I just had a thought.

If you’ve still got one of the dead birds have a look at the back of its head/neck.

Stoats and weasels have got teeth like a little tiny dog’s bite. Rat’s teeth are more like a rabbit and they sort of nip chunks out of things.

That might tell you if it’s only rats (which I’d but poison down for incidentally).

• 2 weeks later...

I can't add much that hasn't already been said, but a few tunnel traps around the outside of the aviary would pick up any passing rats before they have time to establish themselves.

If you keep livestock of any sort, especially cage birds or poultry, you will at some stage get rats.

And as for a Fenn not being capable of catching weasels; I've caught plenty in unbaited tunnel traps, but if I was targeting them I'd be temped to peel off some breast skin and feathers and stick that onto the plate of the Fenn.

Keeping rodenticide bait down long term is no longer legal in the UK, so I'd go down the tunnel trap route to prevent further problems.

If the aviary is moderately vermin proof the vermin is usually spotted or detected long before any damage is done...and once spotted the trap's or poison can be used..a load of stress and heart ache can be saved from just a couple of hour's work..

• Like 1