Anyone Give Their Dog Supplements ??

He is a member on here, search for sandymere and thence his content, or save yourself some time and forget supplements and feed a healthy varied diet, his threads may explain it in more detail tho :thumbs:

Yer I know mate I agree that a good balance diet is the way forward but just wanted to hear other people's opinions on supplement to see if I was mising anything

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

this is my two running dogs, they suit me fine, for what I want, that photo was taken last sunday 4 days back

yes a good electrolyte, replaces, the lost energy, and helps to stop cramping, Glucose= helps promote the rapid uptake of salt and gives energy fast, potassium= vital for replacement due to losses f

Cod liver oil everyday for joints and bones they get all they need if fed right

Posted Images

Mine is not working yet he is just fed a good dry puppy food should I supliment this with other things meat, eggs pasta ? I've herd pasta, cerial and alsorts of other things mentioned should I feed this or wait until he is working / burning it off and needing extra ?

I personally don't as I was told by a very good vet that unless you know what your doing you could be doing more harm than good

Putting too much of something in can cause there to be not enough of something else so to speak

A little recharge on a heavy night is about all and that's not very often as I have not had too many heavy nights for a while !! Lol lol

yes a good electrolyte, replaces, the lost energy, and helps to stop cramping,

Glucose= helps promote the rapid uptake of salt and gives energy fast,

potassium= vital for replacement due to losses from High excitement,

Sodium= helps nerve and muscle funtion,

PHOSPHATE= helps to neutralises acids in the muscles and blood,

magnesium= helps muscle energy function,

citrate= an effective buffering agent,

that all comes from a good electrolyte, for fast running dogs there kidneys take a hammering on a Hard day, Yes of course along with good food

clean drinking water, and a good warm place to sleep, all down to the individual owner how he wants to treat his dog/s, and of course a good cup of sugary tea,

starts the day well,

it has been now proven by top vets that these electrolyte,s

yes a good electrolyte, replaces, the lost energy, and helps to stop cramping,

Glucose= helps promote the rapid uptake of salt and gives energy fast,

potassium= vital for replacement due to losses from High excitement,

Sodium= helps nerve and muscle funtion,

PHOSPHATE= helps to neutralises acids in the muscles and blood,

magnesium= helps muscle energy function,

citrate= an effective buffering agent,

that all comes from a good electrolyte, for fast running dogs there kidneys take a hammering on a Hard day, Yes of course along with good food

clean drinking water, and a good warm place to sleep, all down to the individual owner how he wants to treat his dog/s, and of course a good cup of sugary tea,

starts the day well,

it has been proven by top aussie vets that these electrolyte,s are bad for greyhound,s as there is to much salt in them and dog,s haven't enough sweat gland,s so I give them a miss and stick to good feeding and plenty of exercise and a good rest after a hard days hunting it more about knowing when the dog need,s a few day,s off an not over working them.

This all sounds very American to me

Doesnt everything sound American today.D ya kinda know where im coming from dude? I use electrolites after work. I give Feramo and cod liver oil every other day. My dogs are fed on traditional stews with meat and veg with a sprinkle of good meal like Aussie formula. I think stews help to keep moisture in the dog and they love it. I also give some calci D. to pups plus goats milk and eggs to them aswell as to the workers in winter. I feed terriers exactly the same. I think its important though to always look at each dog individually especially with regards to portions. All dogs need to be observed every day and fed accordingly.

• Like 1

This all sounds very American to me

Doesnt everything sound American today.D ya kinda know where im coming from dude? I use electrolites after work. I give Feramo and cod liver oil every other day. My dogs are fed on traditional stews with meat and veg with a sprinkle of good meal like Aussie formula. I think stews help to keep moisture in the dog and they love it. I also give some calci D. to pups plus goats milk and eggs to them aswell as to the workers in winter. I feed terriers exactly the same. I think its important though to always look at each dog individually especially with regards to portions. All dogs need to be observed every day and fed accordingly.

you have just about got it right the biggest los of condition in a dog is low red blood count if you are not feeding raw beef then you need Iorn supplement for hard running vitmine E this is for muscles but don't give together in same meal one morning other at night

what came first the chicken or the egg, if you feel the need to add something then ask yourself the question how has it lost what you're adding?? unless there is a condition causing the deficiency then again why add anything, a lot is mixed up/crossed over from humans and we don't work quite the same, sweating in a human causes salt loss as dogs don't sweat is adding salt a good idea, when a dogs muscles are used to extremes then potassium is leached from the cells again is adding more a good thing? a little knowledge and all that, fitness.a balanced diet coupled with good stockmanship will never be replaced by a wonder pill or supplement,

some people cannot see the wood for the trees, I wrote feeding and giving supllements is an art, ((((( if you think your dog does not requires electrolytes, after

a hard days running, then simple do not waste your money,,,,,, ((( But when you see your dog cramping up, staggering,,, there is a ??? mark,

• Like 1

some people cannot see the wood for the trees, I wrote feeding and giving supllements is an art, ((((( if you think your dog does not requires electrolytes, after

a hard days running, then simple do not waste your money,,,,,, ((( But when you see your dog cramping up, staggering,,, there is a ??? mark,

Let me guess..... :hmm:

You're an artist..... :thumbs:

• Like 1

to me that ??? mark would be, is/was the dog fit enough in the first place, if yes, then is there an injury condition that i have missed, or did i just push the dog too far by not seeing it had reached that point before that last slip,

I wonder if some you fellows have run dogs or not, the lad asked the question, about supplements, I gave a genuine answer,

my dogs are well and fit, and I am not too bad either, I wonder if some you fellows will be walking and running dogs @68

I dont think so have a look at the number of posts that have been placed by some of you people you, must be at the computer 24/7,

• Like 1