What's The Most Intelligent Breed Of Terrier?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Plummers borders jacks, ill make it s full house & say fells or lakeys :-) lol Bit of a daft question, it's like asking what county has the cleverest people, there's clever & thick everywhere

It was a joke mate. I need a dog to go to ground and be bold but be clever enough not to smash itself up too much. A Plummer may be able to ride a bicycle and be the world champion at Angry Birds but

Plummers are the most intelligent.....       .........they're clever enough to keep themselves out of any bother by refusing to go to ground!!

Posted Images

Plummers borders jacks, ill make it s full house & say fells or lakeys :-) lol

Bit of a daft question, it's like asking what county has the cleverest people, there's clever & thick everywhere you look, be it man or animal.

• Like 5

Bit of a daft question, it's like asking what county has the cleverest people, there's clever & thick everywhere you look, be it man or animal.

what about the westie's ailmac,

• Like 1

Off the back of the thread about terriers being stupid or not got me wondering which terrier breed is the most intelligent. Never owned one myself and torn between a terrier and a cocker for bushing.

For bushing,hunting above or in the ground you will need drive coupled with intelligence and nose. Without good drive and the nose to keep up with that drive you wont get far hunting anything from rabbits to foxes. When you see a dog with the scent of a rabbit not far away and all it does is plod up and down and clings to the scent not quite sure what to do with it and often going back on the heel and pondering some more,then your chances of a catch or flush are low.A good busher would do like a good hound and drive forward on the scent with confidence and hopefully panic the rabbit into indecision. Often the best are the maddest and hardest to control because of there drive.They may not appear to be clever next to the thoughtful plodder but time and plenty of outings will settle them. These attributes can be found in lots of breeds of terrier. I would avoid mute ones unless working singly.

• Like 3

Plummers are the most intelligent.....

.........they're clever enough to keep themselves out of any bother by refusing to go to ground!!

I wouldn't say that......its just there nature. I'd say an intelligent terrier is one that uses it head in all situations. A terrier that is to ground and can find its quarry when its given him the run a round and keep safe is intelligent, most terriers can bush just like a plummer.

It was a joke mate. I need a dog to go to ground and be bold but be clever enough not to smash itself up too much. A Plummer may be able to ride a bicycle and be the world champion at Angry Birds but it still wouldn't do it for me. A terrier, by definition, needs to go to ground.

• Like 5

Its not a dart question mate its an honest question but it is a pedantic response on your part :feck:

It all depends on what you call intelligence ,if you mean does it have the ability to sit and retrieve or work a earth efficiently ? There's many breeds terriers and all are different and many different men expect them to different jobs. If you find one that does the job you want it to do then I would say that dog is the most intelligent .

• Like 2

Plummers borders jacks, ill make it s full house & say fells or lakeys :-) lolBit of a daft question, it's like asking what county has the cleverest people, there's clever & thick everywhere you look, be it man or animal.

Its not a dart question mate its an honest question but it is a pedantic response on your part :feck:

Pedantic, I like it!!!!

Your right it wasn't a dart question it was a daft question, case rested ;-)

• Like 1

Off the back of the thread about terriers being stupid or not got me wondering which terrier breed is the most intelligent. Never owned one myself and torn between a terrier and a cocker for bushing.

For bushing,hunting above or in the ground you will need drive coupled with intelligence and nose. Without good drive and the nose to keep up with that drive you wont get far hunting anything from rabbits to foxes. When you see a dog with the scent of a rabbit not far away and all it does is plod up and down and clings to the scent not quite sure what to do with it and often going back on the heel and pondering some more,then your chances of a catch or flush are low.A good busher would do like a good hound and drive forward on the scent with confidence and hopefully panic the rabbit into indecision. Often the best are the maddest and hardest to control because of there drive.They may not appear to be clever next to the thoughtful plodder but time and plenty of outings will settle them. These attributes can be found in lots of breeds of terrier. I would avoid mute ones unless working singly.

That makes a lot of sense :thumbs:

• Like 1