Terrier Wont Loose Weight !

i feed my 3/4 lakeland 1/4 russel on half buiscuits half winalot and mix it in, i give her the odd few bones to chew on from the butchers now and again, i exercise her all the time but she just wont loose the weight, shes 11kgs and is ment to be 7-8 kgs iv tried giving her less food ect more exercise with no loss ? does anyone have any idea's or some good info that would be helpfull to me to get this weight off of her ? i know the seasons in now and she'l be working soon but i want to get some off her before i start properly ? ATB FTS

just give her a handful of biscuit/meat .......plenty exercise.....

when shes working properly the weight difference should be noticeable........

I got same problem ...........too slim one of mine she is fed one handful of meat / biscuit a day.......and bones , I can see a difference and she got good coat so don't be fooled by the coat as you would physically need to judge them.....gets more after work and a bit before we go ...

• Like 1

as been said plenty of exercise and when feeding only a little bit of lean meat no fat until they weight drops off say half a chicken breast. when i feed my dogs i don't give them a set amount i look at each dog individually and feel them to see what their condition is like, then you'll now how much to feed.

• 3 weeks later...

if your dog is heavy or putting wieght on. you can take away most of there meal and it may stop them gaining. but they will need very little food to maintain there size/wieght.

cut down its food by half and increase the exersize. with some running and walking it will drop of. :thumbs:

i always go by 2 percent of body weight on terriers 2.5 percent on your average size lurchers and 3.3 percent on greyhound size,

on 7 kilo dog id give 140 gram of biscuit or 280 gram of meat, each dog is different id start with 140 gram and if he stays the same id take the 40 off

or if he looses to much id add 40 on,some biscuit like skinners suggest 150 biscuit per 10 kilo

Lose the carbs completely. Plenty of minced veg: greens, celery, carrots: all raw and minced for fibre and vits. NO biscuit at all. Chicken carcases, tripe, meat. And just as a matter of interest: my terriers get what I can fit in my hand every day. In other words, a good handful of grub. No more than that. Maybe you are just feeding too much for the amount of exercise the dog is doing. And some dogs are just what is termed 'good doers', which mean that they make use of everything you feed them.

Also, how old is she? Dogs need less food as they get older. Once they've finished growing they need less too.

• Like 2

i have the same problems mate i have a bull x bitch that i had spayed and is like a solid tank lol not fat but holding too much for my liking i used to feed 200g a day complete she wont touch raw,i know just give her a hand full like guys on here do and get her out as much as i can i find sprints and free running work best for my dog walking miles with her does hardly anything.if you have to feed complete take no notice of the feeding instructions on the back load of shit.

Vets and the like will always tell you that spaying doesn't change a bitch, but it does, unless you are prepared to give the dog a real hard time by feeding it less than you think a flea could live on. Some are worse than others, but it catches up with them in the end, and the type of fat laid down by a neutered animal is a lot harder to shift.

• Like 3

my AB looked fantastic before i had him done hes been like a pig ever since i would have to starve him to get him to lose weight.i only had my bitch done as i cant stand the mess in the house,not sure if id do it again made no difference to my male and cost £160 plus made him fat.

The dog will lose weight if you cut it's feed... it'll go faster with work in the beginning. It's simple math... and you determine the outcome. No disrespect intended but the only variable in this equation is you.

• Like 1