Got Bit 4 Times While Ferreting

Dan25

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some ferrets are just biters, some will moan an I don't care. But cull it a replace it

At 5 months,the ferret is,nt ready for work yet,before a ferret gets that age it should be safe to handle,if it is,nt then its not the ferret thats at fault.

It's like a potato gun but a bit worse

Lol that's it, ain't my problem but I did deal with 1 a few years ago and after a year I gave up. I won't waste a year again on 1 lol

:laugh: she came close mate believe me the little f****r... :laugh:

And mine, had the last laugh when I had him snipped :laugh:

• Like 1

I ain't got the heart to kill him yet will try him again people say he ain't old enough but he's definitely big enough and he works the warrens a treat just can't pick him up and when he sees you he runs to you and jumps up to bight your trousers and anything he can get hold of he's brother is much smaller and hes perfect il give him a bit more time and see how he goes

I ain't got the heart to kill him yet will try him again people say he ain't old enough but he's definitely big enough and he works the warrens a treat just can't pick him up and when he sees you he runs to you and jumps up to bight your trousers and anything he can get hold of he's brother is much smaller and hes perfect il give him a bit more time and see how he goes

Lay him off the hunting for a bit mate, that sounds like play to me... mine do that in the garden ( but with out the biting) the kids call it "the mad ferret dance", if his brothers steadier just use him for the minute and work on handling the other, it may take a month or 2 but you'll end up with a better ferret after....

They're very young ferrets mate, they need a bit more time to mature IMO

• Like 1

5 months old its still young, id say handle it ALOT more, feed it then play with it, spit on your hand, just keep at it mate, its not right culling a ferret at 5 months, if you havent the time or patients dont keep them, 5 months is still early thats all im saying !

• Like 1

Well I honestly think that the OP is to blame, the ferts he's using are 14 weeks old(3 1/2 months) and he's had them a fortnight. And just because a hob looks big enough dosen't mean he's mentally ready for work yet.

Personally I wouldn't even think of working them yet even if I'd owned them from 6 weeks, at the age they are they're still full of play and I think he's confusing this play with aggression.

• Like 3

Had the same issue with mine but I put it down to the fact that his mother was a ratter hes one tough gringo small but feisty lacks nothing...

Had him since 7 weeks and has been handled one hour everyday sometimes out in the 4ft shed and sometimes in enclosed pen with hammock or left to play loose in the house [was going to be for daughter aswel] still the little phecker would bite.

A mind of his own partially down to teething tho - really bad around 12-14 weeks teething.

Now im his best buddy so descided to take some contact away from him leaving him outside and seemed to do the trick just cant wait to see anyone now still nips a bit but this just tells me hes a tough one "alfer male".

Don't know if worth segregating him from other ferrets and just handling him yourself on occasion??

maybe hes protecting his buddies when you come along...

Well I honestly think that the OP is to blame, the ferts he's using are 14 weeks old(3 1/2 months) and he's had them a fortnight. And just because a hob looks big enough dosen't mean he's mentally ready for work yet.

Personally I wouldn't even think of working them yet even if I'd owned them from 6 weeks, at the age they are they're still full of play and I think he's confusing this play with aggression.

I've been politely trying to say that lol...

• Like 1

I would never kill it could not do that as people have said and when I work them it's for an hour or two not much I'm new to keeping kits of this age always had older ferrets I anode them all day but he's just nasty honestly guys if you saw it you would agree I will be patient with it and give it a couple of weeks just. Compared to his brother it's rediculous I can't do what I want with the other one. It even bites the cage when I get close

i have been reading this thread, i got 2 hob kits of a guy on here they were great to handle only had them a couple of days everything great then i let them have a bit run around the garden just letting explore about 20/30 mins .picked the albino up great then the polecat but he bit my hand thought i just playing but no it was like he had never been handled, strange how he just changed.

Those ferrets are young, you've only had them for two weeks and your working them. I think you may have done too much too soon. Before working your ferrets you need to spend plenty of time just handling them, they get to associate you as a good place to be and a place were good things happen. You are building up a relationship with the ferret, he will associate your voice and smell with pleasant times and chilled out handling. Look at it from his point of view, he got a new owner he didn't know, was put in a box and sent working. Ferrets need to trust you and regular handling does just that. Also has anything gone wrong whilst out ferreting, has a dog scared him, was he accidentally hurt, was he lost? Any negative experience at 5 months old, which is young, combined with him not really knowing you yet is gonna do negative things to his bond with you. Go back to basics, as you would a dog, build the bond, get him to like you, even give him treats while you are handling him. Do not take him working again until the biting stops. Also remember that just as dogs of the same breed can have different personalities so can ferrets. The biting one may be a bit twitchy and has not coped that well with all the quick changes he has had. But who knows, some times the most temperamental animal, if you put the time in can become an outstanding worker. Normally ferrets reflect life..........................you get out what you put in............................anyway good luck :thumbs:

• Like 1