1/2 Cross Bred V 5/8 Bred Bred

Hi all

Been looking on the site and doing searches to find any information but with no joy.

My question is what does the 5/8 bred lurcher have over the 1/2 bred mainly collie type lurchers. As regards clamping and ferreting. Obviously the 3/4 bred offers more speed.

Any information would be much appreciated thanks.

well as its only 1/8, not alot.You get some from both litters very simlar in size and speed, just comes down to each pup really.Had both and not alot of diffence really, you seem to get more of differnce in line bred 1xs, as some can be quite racey, and others throw to the collie, as said it comes down to each pup i think, more than %'s with these xs. unless like you say 1/4 collie 3/4 grey, but 1x and 3/8 can be very simlar :yes:

• Like 2

1/8 difference like you said isn't a lot that's what I have been trying to find out why it's used. Didn't think it would make much difference.

Out of the ones you have had were there any obvious differences in the 2 crosses working wise?

Thanks atb

well , both had good stamina, good feet,coat, and plenty of brain. But my 1x i have now is very fast for this x, prob had the edge over my 3/8 for speed.But like say on paper the 3/8 had more running dog in him, but was bit slower.So when the % are not far from each other, thers not lot in it, only the 1/4 collie shows big differnce i think .!

i suppose the theory is you get a pup somewhere between 1/2 and 3/4 hopefully getting the best of both, whilst agreeing in principal with wales1234 worker to worker, litters are very rare producing this cross and tend to be one off's with no previous history with the breeder being an owner looking for a replacement for his older dog, commercially bred pups of this type are bred from a greyhound dam ( by a reverse 3/4) often repeat matings and the sires ability to throw certain traits will be well known and my experience and logic reckon that this tends to throw racier faster types but as has been said buying any pup is a bit of a lottery, my own current 3/8 beardie border x 5/8 greyhound is fairly robust at 24 and 1/2 " and around 50lb, she's nearly 6yr old, high drive, fast enough for most game, versatile and obedient

bunnies006.jpg

nikon1047.jpg

• Like 8

i suppose the theory is you get a pup somewhere between 1/2 and 3/4 hopefully getting the best of both, whilst agreeing in principal with wales1234 worker to worker, litters are very rare producing this cross and tend to be one off's with no previous history with the breeder being an owner looking for a replacement for his older dog, commercially bred pups of this type are bred from a greyhound dam ( by a reverse 3/4) often repeat matings and the sires ability to throw certain traits will be well known and my experience and logic reckon that this tends to throw racier faster types but as has been said buying any pup is a bit of a lottery, my own current 3/8 beardie border x 5/8 greyhound is fairly robust at 24 and 1/2 " and around 50lb, she's nearly 6yr old, high drive, fast enough for most game, versatile and obedient

bunnies006.jpg

nikon1047.jpg

nice looking dog birddog :thumbs:

Thanks for the replys guys they have answered my question perfectly. Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Great to hear from people who have had experience with both types so I know am getting a honest answer and not just some second hand theorys on the type.

Great looking dog birddog and well built for job credit to you.

Atb and happy hunting

bunnies006.jpg

nikon1047.jpg

Birddog if i werent into the deerhound cross then with out doubt this would be my type of dog/cross to me as well as good feet etc she has a nice depth of chest, credit to you thanks for showing us,atb.Just to add 27tts though.

looking through some pics to exemplify it and this shows it best i think.....but breadth of chest is as important as depth, plenty of engine room as they say.......this hare was shot and retrieved in daylight in compliance with the current legislation

DSCN0512.jpg

• Like 3

Is go for 5/8 3/8 over first x half x or 3/4 bred out of a first x over a grey. In theory the litter should be more even, with less chance of throw backs. Should be in between the two in terms of speed and strength. But as said its as much down to individual pups and choice of sire and dam as anything else.