Tight Beam Or Wider Beam?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Very long way 200 yard ,,, even on the flattest of fields,,,I'm not saying it's not impossible,,, but it's right at the edge of the working distance....   Anybody that doesn't believe me,,,, go pac

With the beam its up to the man who is lamping and what the dog is used to runing as to long slips there is nothing wrong in testing your dog now and again in my eyes its no good giving them on a plat

long slips with a dog that kniws the game is idealy what i like best, gets and keeps dogs fit, young dogs are best taken as close as possible, moon aint too bad if wind an rain is out but on clear cal

I've always preferred a tight beam on the basis that it's more confusing for the quarry and easier for the dog to follow the quarry. But |i was out with some lads recently who prefer a really wide beam. They reckon it makes no difference and if anything it's easier and safer for the dog.

Also I tend not to slip the dog unless the quarry is really close to the dog say fifteen to thirty yards. To me it's all about percentages. I don't want to knacker the dog on long slips where it's chances are poor. The lads I were with slip on hundred yards if need be with doubled up dogs.

These lads also think nowt of lamping on a full moon. Again I would never have dreamed of doing that but it works for them.

Surprising what you can learn.

seems lyk a couple of lads in my town people lyk that will never do big nums they don't seem to have a clue

I've always preferred a tight beam on the basis that it's more confusing for the quarry and easier for the dog to follow the quarry. But |i was out with some lads recently who prefer a really wide beam. They reckon it makes no difference and if anything it's easier and safer for the dog.

Also I tend not to slip the dog unless the quarry is really close to the dog say fifteen to thirty yards. To me it's all about percentages. I don't want to knacker the dog on long slips where it's chances are poor. The lads I were with slip on hundred yards if need be with doubled up dogs.

These lads also think nowt of lamping on a full moon. Again I would never have dreamed of doing that but it works for them.

Surprising what you can learn.

seems lyk a couple of lads in my town people lyk that will never do big nums they don't seem to have a clue

no everybody wanting big numbers some people havent a choice with c--ts out lamping all summer thats the only slips they can get 150 yrds because the bunnys are off no my cup of tea but some have no choice :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...

if its already 400yrds away when slip how far is it by the time the dog gets with it if it runs the opposite way?

What??? I never said I slipped at 400 yards, read it properly.

But, historically, when we used to be able to lamp foxes, you'd often find that your quarry would hold position until the dogs were near. Usually only running as the dogs became silhouetted in the beam.

It's a shame you never got to experience running the big stuff as you'd have known that. Damn this bloody ban!!!

it is a shame its a shame ive done enough lamping to no 400yrd slips dnt happen to often, as for big stuff Ive never caught nothing bigger than a rabbit lol

I don't post much now lol but the tighter the better and who's out tnight lol as if you'd stay in on a black week my dog runs to 400 yard squatters lol the plot thickens atb better to run 3 dogs at a time thankfuck I've no friends lol atb and have you had one of these bring back whin for fucks sake lol

if its already 400yrds away when slip how far is it by the time the dog gets with it if it runs the opposite way?

What??? I never said I slipped at 400 yards, read it properly.

But, historically, when we used to be able to lamp foxes, you'd often find that your quarry would hold position until the dogs were near. Usually only running as the dogs became silhouetted in the beam.

It's a shame you never got to experience running the big stuff as you'd have known that. Damn this bloody ban!!!

it is a shame its a shame ive done enough lamping to no 400yrd slips dnt happen to often, as for big stuff Ive never caught nothing bigger than a rabbit lol

Who said 400 yard slips were normal? I never even said I slipped at 400 yards. Put up where I said it and we can all have a good giggle.

Put a w instead of a k infront of yr name and stay in for sake its dark out there do as you please ladsird a free country just enjoy yourself lol

If you had half a brain then people might be able to understand what you're trying to say.

Try, very slowly, to say what you want and I'll answer you. What is your issue?

200 yards is a very long way. suppose on very big land with a good lamp it could and probably is being done...but who'd want to realistically slip at 200 yards for a rabbit?.Now if the rabbit was up and running away from the lamp by the time the dog got there you'd be talking 300+ yards away..That's nearly quarter of a mile..an awful long way..I'd say at that distance all you'd see is eyes if you were lucky..Ten slips at that distance would mean the dog has done 2 mile flat out. 20 slips 4 miles...some running is that lol :whistling:

20 times 200 yards isn't even 4km let alone 4 mile lol

You think a dog runs only one way? The dog has to jog back. Also at a 200 yard slip the dog is gunna be running at least 300 yard..So 10 x 300 yard = 2 mile or thereabouts...20 x 300 = 4mile or thereabouts...then factor in like i said..coming back....thats some distance. :thumbs:

20 times 200 yards isn't even 4km let alone 4 mile lol

You think a dog runs only one way? The dog has to jog back. Also at a 200 yard slip the dog is gunna be running at least 300 yard..So 10 x 300 yard = 2 mile or thereabouts...20 x 300 = 4mile or thereabouts...then factor in like i said..coming back....thats some distance. :thumbs:

You're right, it is some distance and it's a lot of work for a dog. There's plenty of dogs that can do it, there's plenty of dogs who's owners never give them the chance to try and there's plenty of dogs that get chucked out of a motor after the quarry's been chased down for 20 minutes.

I've got a running dog, so that's what he does.