" Eric "

milo

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nice bird mate I've got a female I'm training took 10 days to eat off the fist I may start a little diary thing. Good luck mate but most of all take your time no rush to get out hunting ASAP

Milo I'm far from a expert is it worth changing the day old chick for a bit of liver or sum nice red meat just tiny bits my hh is a lot keener with it only suggesting fella atb

If it was me I would use the Martin Hollinshead method, exactly as you have described, KEEP THE BOND WITH HER, its not everyones cup of tea, but it has always` worked for me, a slight drop in weight a

Posted Images

Took eric up to a nice little place that holds rabbit/phessie he was 1lb 6 on the nose so pretty confident.

When we arrived at the farm i walked around for a few mins just so he got settled,i then gave him a tiny bit on the glove and cast him onto a post then re called him back and he came on the 2nd call so not bad.

We walked down a steep back and i could see a cock phessie at the bottom,when we got closer the cock bird ducked into some gorse so that was the end of that,we walked around the phessie pens and on the way back to the truck he spotted a squirel and he was off up the tree after it,after a fast pace chase he lost it in the canopy(has it still very tight and green)..but after he lost it he decided to sit up the tree for 20 or so mins,i tried to recall to the fist to the dummy bunny and the crow wings and nothing :blink: ...

Heart pounding and a lot of sweat words later he decides to fly to another tree about 100 yds away where he sat there for another 10 mins,just glad i am not working this week because if my work phone had gone id be in a right mess !...after aprrox 10-15mins he did come to the fist ;) ....

I leashed him up and decided to call it a day... first day out in the field and im not impressed but i have another good few days off so im sure that should change..roll on tomorrw morning :thumbs:

• Like 2

Out again today,weighed 1lb 6 bang on..upto a good hill farm on the bunnies or what ever else we come across..

Got there at 11am and kept him tight on the glove for 30 mins just so he would settle again,we bolted a few but the other side of the hedge,one came out myside and he was on it,but the rabbit went back thro the fence and he went over it...lost it then back up a tree FOR OVER AN HOUR :censored: ...we tried everything to get him down apart from a shotgun ! great flight but im thinking all this hassle just isnt worth it ! i never had this with my harris hawks over the past 10 or so years ! its just frustrating all the hard work and stress that i have been thro for the past 5 or so weeks and it amounts to this ... il be back out tomorrw and try again but im now getting very cheesed off .

When you say we mate, is the other person someone he is used to? As I know my mates gos can be a funny bugger, when she is out with somebody new, I believe he drops the weight slightly if he is going out with somebody fresh to the bird, if this is the case, it might be better working him on your own for a bit and get a few kills under your/his belt, keep at it pal, that first kill is hours away only.

When you say we mate, is the other person someone he is used to? As I know my mates gos can be a funny bugger, when she is out with somebody new, I believe he drops the weight slightly if he is going out with somebody fresh to the bird, if this is the case, it might be better working him on your own for a bit and get a few kills under your/his belt, keep at it pal, that first kill is hours away only.

i refer to me and the hawk,i only took one person with me over the past few days to help out i havent even taken the Ess,i shall keep trying but loosing the will to live at the moment !

Went out yestarday on my own just hawk,he was bang on weight..

Had a good slip on a cock bird but beat us to the cover,and again he was playing up ! dont get it..1lb 5.9 good response..1lb 6 crap..1lb 5.7 crap..talk about no room for error !

Some days hes great other days a total knightmare,if this is goss hawking " it aint for me" i like flying every day and not just every other day,i regulate is food but due to the cold weather its just not happening ! really cheesed off now going into my 6th week..i know it wont be my 7th week thats for sure.

So id better start getting the young harris manned up and fitt because i can see me doing my hunting with a harris again this year if it carries on.