" Eric "

milo

Know what you are talking about..i just want to do it NOW ha ha...

i go to sleep thinking of it all and wake up the same just want to get him free because when he is he will have the work 100% i just cant wait to get out with him properly

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nice bird mate I've got a female I'm training took 10 days to eat off the fist I may start a little diary thing. Good luck mate but most of all take your time no rush to get out hunting ASAP

Milo I'm far from a expert is it worth changing the day old chick for a bit of liver or sum nice red meat just tiny bits my hh is a lot keener with it only suggesting fella atb

If it was me I would use the Martin Hollinshead method, exactly as you have described, KEEP THE BOND WITH HER, its not everyones cup of tea, but it has always` worked for me, a slight drop in weight a

Posted Images

It all depends what if the weight is coming up or down. My birds response is better when it's on the way up. As for the lure I don't use one at all fist all the way and only in a emergency do I tie a creance to a whole quail but only in a emergency! Response should be instant!

Well I'm flying a fresh female my first owned flew a few for friends, I think the fist should be the only reward myself and yes I expect her to be as quick as a Harris if not in training I'd go home and try again in the morning she took 11 days to eat of the fist and went down to 1lb 13 very low but you got to be stubborn! She's killing now at 2.2 ish

Ive always just warrented the fist as they only perch to come to in the field,but i always have a go with he lure on all my harris hawks just to keep them fit and breaks the boardum for them when we are out genral flying..

Im scared to drop any lower than 1lb 5 anymore incase he goes over again ! i think il stick to my plan for the next fw days and see what the score is..thaks for the advice CH

That is the thing with falconry, different answers from different people, and none the right or wrong way, I have to say that my mate who has years of gos experience, does not use the lure, only the fist, but he does not say that using the lure is wrong, only that he does not use it, me personally I like it and think it is a very useful tool, as an emergency card, or as a fitness tool, any hawk including a stubborn redtail will be instant if their weight is correct, and that is what you and only you can find out mate, but as for your current plan, irrespective of if you choose to incorporate the lure or not, is a sound one and will pay off big time, keep us updated mate,

Today

Thurs 26th

weighed him at 8,10 am he was 1lb 5,3 with a full cast.i put hi out on weathering with the dog peged down near him again not bad nice and calm,it started ton pour down so had to put him back in mews and waited for a clear spell,

10am tried him the creance with a doc no response at all ! got the crow lure out attached the doc and flicked that about he was more keen on that than my fist but didnt strike it with any conviction but just jumped onto it,oi let him feed off it..

Tried him again on the fist and still no response again done the same with the lure and he fed again,i decided to lift him and feed him the 3rd doc on the glove..ive now put him back in the mews has the weather is looking rubbish again,i will feed him another 3 doc as soon has the defrost later today..

I think definatley need to get him back to 1lb 6 at least to get him responding i just think hes still on the weak side at the moment yeh he can jump to the fist and happy to sit there all day but to actully come any distance he just aint ot th energy Arrr hard work this is ..but i cant give up...

Thanks for the replies Crow/charlie.. :thumbs:

Hes sharp set...100% he needs more weight on him,il not give him the doc for a few days il put some good food back into him starting with a whole quail today,il feed him up for the next 2 days and see what hes like sat/sun afternoon..

Weighed him up late today due to being away with work, Eric was 1lb 6.8 !

Took him up the local fields to see what response i get.

Now for the past few days ive introduced the lure,and he has been basically jumping on it but he has been a higher weight ;) ,however today when i got the lure out he flew at it and binded to the lure like he wanted to kill it ! 3 times BANG ON :yes: .. i fed him off it today so pleased about that,i did try him to the glove at 10ft he still has the same poor response he did come but wasnt instant !

I think im slowly getting somewhere again now,i think a slight weight drop to around 1lb 6.4-5 may see him respond to the glove differently ( I HOPE ) :D

I was going to but it was getting on tbh crow..

Weighed hi m at 8,15 am and he was 1lb.8.2 took him out with the dog realy bad he didnt stoop baiting off at all,he realy did my head in thismorning spent half hour with him walking around the local fields and i just constantley lifted him back on the glove ( guess this weight is too heavy for him to be settled)...

I shall try him again this afternoon if his weight is down a bit ! i dont understand all the time and effort ive been putting in and im still getting knowhere some guys i know have just picked up new goss hawks(2nd hand) and they got they hawks going in the first few days ! and these guys have not a clue..its getting to me today if im honest and especially now the season is here and everybody is out in the fields :cray: how much longer do i actully give without admitting failure how many more days/weeks or would it be months ?

Stick at it fella there's no rush to get out yet with all this cover about ! I got my hh ready coming great on the creance in the garden but the cover is just to much at the moment and I will Never see the bird never mind a kill ! This is the joy of falconry once you crack ur bird u won't look back [BANNED TEXT] u put in now you will back ! Stick with it fella ! Atb lee

• Like 1