" Eric "

milo

I've read your posts you've had a red the thread stopped a male Harris a female Harris that scared you! and now this goss you've no glue about?WTF are you on I think your a waster falconry wise your asking questions my 10yr nephew who'd ask and hes been flying a spar for 2 seasons!

Edited by CrowHawker

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nice bird mate I've got a female I'm training took 10 days to eat off the fist I may start a little diary thing. Good luck mate but most of all take your time no rush to get out hunting ASAP

Milo I'm far from a expert is it worth changing the day old chick for a bit of liver or sum nice red meat just tiny bits my hh is a lot keener with it only suggesting fella atb

If it was me I would use the Martin Hollinshead method, exactly as you have described, KEEP THE BOND WITH HER, its not everyones cup of tea, but it has always` worked for me, a slight drop in weight a

Posted Images

Come on Crow, that's a bit strong mate,lets get the lad sorted with this gos, I think his dilemma is a classic one, he has had a harris and he is a bit perplexed by the gos because it is taking a bit longer, and he is making a classic mistake of trying to get it to respond quicker by dropping it,some advice would not go amiss mate,once he gets his head round it I think he will be fine.

The red i parted with after asking advice off a person that has had hawks for a very long time and the advice i was given was crap ! All the harris hawks that ive owned over the last 10-12 years all worked out well for me,my male died xmas day in a freak accident in the mews in my opinion this hawk was the best i had owned and still is... Has for being scared of him dont think so,The female was good but anybody with a brain and consideration for other people would not take the risk of flying this hawk,she binded to 2 people and even if you think you could turn her around in 2 weeks i was still not going to take the chance on her...but thanks for looking into my past its appericated and thanks for all you replies possitive and negative..this will be my last post :thumbs: Good hawking to you all

Edited by milo

Guys i am trying my best,i dont want to start any arguments or cyber nonsense " i get that every day in work"...

I have kept a diary on eric from the first day i picked him up sept 3rd at 15,30 hrs and have updated it every single day and everything eric has done since then,and ive also recorded the mistakes I have also made one was critical !

Yes im finding it very hard with him but i am learning alongside him,they say a red is difficult i think this hawk "eric" is more so..

I have also taken not just accounts of what we are doing in a diary but also pictures and videos of us going thro the manning process,countrey to what you say crow hawker i am not a waste to falconry ! obviosly thats you opinion and if you ever meet me at the icbp or falconry fair please introduce youself and you will see im no idiot or a waste to falconry.. if you think i am bad see what the idiots are doing around my area with harris hawks/gos hawks spars,then you would see who the "waste to falconry is".these idiots dont even own a telem set up and fly them around the local parks and streets ! "but thats a diff issure"

I am trying my best honestly i am,i have already been told to "fu..it get rid of the hawk" but im going to make a sucess of this hawk if it blo..y kills me...im going into my 4th week,i have had a knock back but slowly getting somewhere again thismorning "Thank God"

Thanks crow Hawker like i stated i dont want to cause any arguments,and i only want a top notch hunting hawk like any other guy on here,i have a diary and i shall write it up on here there will be mistakes it it ! And some of the things you will not agree with but i will write it without no lies at all... that way i will "hope "to get the best honest advice off you guys..and please remember this is my first goss hawk and they are definatley not like the harris hawks i have owned in the last few years.. Diary to follow

Tues sept 3rd

3,30pm picked up eric weighed in 1lb 9,2

manned 3 hours on glove just settling down nice and steady,fed on glove 2 doc

Wed 4th

12,30pm picked up and weighed 1lb9,7 manned for 1hour 30 mins

Thurs 5th

7 am picked up and introduced my Ess not too bad weight 1lb 8,2 manned around dog untill 8,15am put out on bow in weathering,picked back up at 4,30pm took upto farm walked around cattle sheep,he jumped from post to glove approx 2ft fed 3 doc.

Fri 6th

Weighed 7am he was 1lb 10 manned for an hour with dog up farm,bowed back down in weathering ,picked back up at 4,30pm and weighed again 1lb8,9 manned untill 6,pm fed 2 doc

Sat 7th

weighed 11am 1lb9,2 picked up and manned up at resavoiur with dog,came back "rained heavy" manned in house untill 3.30pm fed 2 doc

Sun 8th

Weighed at 3 oclock 1lb 9 dead on manned for 30 mins bad weather mid afternoon manned on weathering fed 3 doc

NEW WEEK SO GOT A SYSTEM GOING WITH FEEDING PLAN(AND A QUIET WEEK OF WORK)

mon 9th

8am weighed at 1lb9,7

no baiting at all in mews or on bow good manners,manned up lake with dog for 1 hour fed 3 doc,changed his furniture back out on weathering

Tues 10th

8am weighed 1lb9,3

baity thismorning ok on the bow but on my approch baity ! left on weathering untill 10,30 am,picked up and he seemed fine and settled,took him around the local avenues and did some meet&greets returned at 11,30am back on bow fed 3 doc

Wed 11th

8am weighed at 1lb9,5 very baity,hated me,hated the dog hated traffic bas..bird pissed off after 30min back in mews on bow ( didnt write what i fed him )

Thur 12th

picked up at 8am weighed1lb 9,3 manned with my mate around farm,brilliant session jumped to fist again full length of leash..fed 3 doc ( ring came from i.b.r)

Fri 13th

8 am weighed in at 1lb 8,6 up to farm just eric jumped to fist off fence post,good session but got slow to respond near the end,back out on weathering..3 doc

Sat14th

8am weighed in at 1lb 8,6 bowed in weathring untill 4 pm then weighed again and 1lb8,3 picked up and manned few jumps to glove nothing special 3 doc

Sun 15th

8,45 am weighed in at 1lb7,8 (must be cold last night) bowed on weathering untill 3,30pm re weighed 1lb 7,2 pissing down with rain so manned in th house 3 doc

Mon 16th

Weighed at 9am 1lb 7,5 bowed in weathering,weather turned crap ! manned up in house,then weather turned good so manned up at farm,came 2oft on creance but response poor 3 doc

FROM TUES TO FRI AFTERNOON MY MATE SAID HE WOULD TRY WITH HIM HAS HE HAS EXPERIENCE IN HAWKS SO ERIC WENT TO HIS HOUSE FOR THE NEXT FEW DAYS,THIS IS WHERE MY DIARY AINT THAT CLEAR OR SPOT ON

tues 17th

went up mates weighed him 9am 1lb6,8 flew him on creance 10 times came 13ft very good response the best so far 4 doc

Wed 18th

mate weighed him 8,15 am 1lb 6.3 rubbish response came 50ft on creance but crap recall 3 doc

Thurs 19th

mate weighed him ( no time) 1lb 5,4 feed 3 doc bodies only

Fri 20th

Mate couldnt do anything with him he had to go shopping !!!! i was in work untill 3pm so soon has i got home i just went up to bring him home.

I weighed him at 3,30 pm he was 1lb4,3 tried on creance no response at 20ft response at 5ft only 2 doc

Sat 21st

I was called into london urgent shout out at 2am

I got home at 6,30 pm went straight up to mews and erick was over ! critical...i crop tubed him with gloucose and 40 mins later he started to come around,i then fed him by hand tiny amounts of quail breast for the next 2 hours,kept him in my livinroom all night on my lap untill 3am,then i put him in his box ( not standing)

Sun 22nd

opened box thinking of the worst and eric was sitting up looking at me ! offerd my fist and he jumped on,weighed him at 8 am he was 1lb4 ,4 and sat on glove nice,i then fed him a 2 quail legs,3 doc weighed him in the night(dint write time down) he was 1lb 6,7 and was kept indoors

Mon 23rd

8am weighed at 1lb 5,4 had work in so i took eric with me,manned him up [BANNED TEXT] i got a cahnce for an hour and fed him up on half a quail and 2 doc got him after midnight so didnt weigh him

Tues 24th

weighed at 9am he was 1lb 7,8 manned around farm with dog,little bit touchy with dog but not bad,weatherd and he bathed .

Wed 25th

Weighed at 9am 1lb 5 dead on put on weathring he cast straight away re weighed he was 1lb 4,6,watched him for 30 mins he was very content in the sun,manned him for 30 min,then decided to feed him and see his reaction to the crow lure.. took a bit of twitching about but he eventully fed off it,he also came 10ft to the glove,fed him on 5 doc re weighed he was 1lb,8,7

This is all warts and all like i said i made a grave error that almost cost me my hawk ! this will never happen again,if i go to work eric is comming with me that way i can keep an eye on him and make sure hes good.

I think i had a better response at around the 1lb 6mk ..so im going to get him back to that keep him at that and see how he reacts,if i could upload a video on here i could show is reaction when he was at that weight,he wasnt instant like a male harris would be but he came 50ft on prob the 3rd call,i just wish i had the right advice that night and cast him free...

The first week i had him i was all over the place on his feeding patterns,and the second week seemed i was getting somewhere but when my mate had him it went down hill,i should have just kept hold of him myself..thanks guys im looking foward to you comments good & bad,and remember..this is the truth and it does happen "i suppose"

Fair play Milo, most people would not have the guts to tell the world the hawk nearly died, in your defence pal your MATE as you refer to him sounds like a tw-t and he does not sound like he has much experience with hawks to me brother,but lesson learned, you wont make that mistake again, get him back up to 1lb61/2 and tweek his weight from there, I would imagine once he is fit and muscling up he will prob end up around 1lb8, as I have said before don't be too concerned about the distance to the fist, medium flights for big rewards, and get him on that lure, enslave him to it, that is your safety net when he is 100yards a way and he wont come to the fist, then get him out and killing it will transform him, the very best to you I know now after all your setbacks he is going to make you a very special hawk bud.

Thats definatly my plan,im going to get him back up to the best response i had with him at 1lb 6.8 and take it from there.

I admit i made a very bad mistake ! the sooner people realise falconry/hawking is not all a bed of roses and these things can and do happen to us all " even if some wont admit it" im just glad i knew what to do and was very very lucky indeed..

Back to the weight control and hopefully some sessions with the lure and more distance calling to the glove should do the trick,i suppose i got plenty of time with the cover still being up..

Should i get an instant response like a harris with a goss thats what im not 100% on ! im still wanting.." glove up whistle and expecting him to be half way across the distance"

Probably the best answer to that mate is sometimes, I think they are a bit like redtails in that respect, in that you think you have the weight sorted one day and the next at the same weight you don't get the same response,and that's where people get frustrated, but like a redtail it is about repetition, and good rewards,and that is why the lure is so important, where the fist is looked on with passing interest the lure is viewed as a must have, break my neck thing to have, just like redtails when dropped too low they will switch off and the response be very poor indeed,I think you have found a good response weight @ 1lb61/2 ish so stick at that,once he gets the good reward thing in his head you will find him pretty instant, say you are going to feed him 3 chicks for the day, try 3 twenty yard flights only for a full chick each time, then if he is on weight next day see his response then, he will remember it.