Ferreting Hedge Rows

Hi everyone I ferret by my self purely because all of my mates cant shut up long enough when ferreting so it's stupid to take them. I've only done quite open warrens so far and I'm just wondering how you can ferret a hedge by yourself? Obviously you cant be on both sides at the same time so how do you do it by yourself? Sorry for a stupid question, thanks in advance Dan

Usually run a long net and watch the top line or the dog but most hedges have a gap you can crawl threw ,but it you can't see both sides your ferret could be out and away

I was thinking about a long net and most of the hedges where I ferret have gaps in but there filled with fencing so I should be able to see all the holes thanks for the reply, safe hunting Dan

Most of my ferretings done along hedgerows and i couldnt do it alone especially with a few ferrets to ground for eg a rabbit bolts into 1 of the longnets placed either side and whilst youre sorting the rabbit out . 1 of the ferrets could be going through the stop net or the longnet youve put against the fenceline further up/down the hedge youd need to be in constant knowing where the ferret/s where with a locator just for peace of mind and will result in more disturbance and noise than your mates talking .If there that bad can you not find anyone at all ,another set of eyes even if they aint a clue is better than none esp if youre dealing with a bolt or digging down to 1 in thick hedgerows :thumbs:

• Like 1

Not so bad if all the holes on one side or you have a dog as said . Did one a couple of seasons ago pain not sealed chilled ferreting diving about like a lune , got 14 rabbits though and wasn't to bad when it slowed a bit , was a good little outing ended on 31 on my own ,

I used to find half the battle was having a dog as people have said. If you know some thing is at home you know the rabbit is likely to leave first and the dog will let you know where if you don't see it your self and the ferret will follow as a rule so. I used to groan some times when I was on my own and the dog marked a difficult place but I couldn't let him down and 9 times out of 10 did it.

A bell on the ferret would be very helpful too

Most of my ferreting is in hedgerows, I check to see if there's at least one spot I can crawl through and if there isn't I make one. I wear lined gortex trousers, gortex coat and leather gloves for protection against thorns and nettles (although most sessions I come home stung and scratched to buggery).

I'll net up the side where I'll be standing and then go to the other side and whereever possible net the holes with the pegs reachable from the other side. I've extended the string on a handful of nets just so I can have the pegs 3 or 4 foot from the actual net...that way when a rabbit hits the net I can drag it to my side of the hedge. It's not ideal as you then leave an unnetted hole but it's pretty unavoidable if you're on your own. I'll also have 2 stop nets at 90 degree angles to the hedge on both ends of the warren on the other side of the hedge.....so unless the rabbit ran straight out into the middle of the field (which they never do!) I'll catch any that miss the purse nets, provided I can dive through the hole in the hedge before it gets out of the long net obviously but that's why a dog is useful cos she gets there a lot quicker.

I do miss some doing it like this, and by the end of the session I'm fookin knackered with all the climbing back and too through the hedges but it's all good fun. My ferrets are pretty good in that if they pop out and I don't pick them up straight away they tend to come and find me, but you do need to keep tabs on where they are a bit more than usual just in case you miss one. I don't think I'd ferret with any more than two ferrets at a time using this method.

• Like 2

Just pick the hedges you can do on your own, ideally small sections with breaks. But it can be stressful going solo, especially with ferrets who will run a scent like a foxhound :huh: ......

To do them effectively you need one fella each side and one or two dogs who know the score in my opinion, and good net placement :thumbs:

Get some double peggers in the runs in the centre of the hedge or run stop nets through.
web2.jpg

Edited by Sirius

Small sets arnt so bad.

I keep the dog my side and go off his actions.

Have a look the other side with the locator if theres a bit of a lull.

Long grass standing corn and big sets needs a man both sides.

Getting to old to be carrying on like a terrier :thumbs:

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies everyone, I want to get a lurcher but I cant at the moment, so I think I'll get some money together and get a long net and some stop nets. I'm also going to try and find someone to go ferreting with me so I can have one either side, thanks again, safe hunting Dan

Guest norseman

im the same as yourself dan, no long nets and no dog lol (but getting long nets soon), it can be a nightmare at times. if theres not too many holes on one side of the hedgerow. I block the holes with big stones sometimes that helps. don't use soil because the rabbits can bust out :whistling: as I found out :icon_redface: