Nervous Pup?

Spend as much time with it as you can mate, do anything you can to show the pup there's nothing to be shy about I had the same problem last year first thing to combat is getting the pup to come to you then start basic training it took me a long time last year to build the pups confidence and be careful with basic training not to give it into trouble too much and the way you do it you could set yourself back weeks if you come down too hard on it.

you need to spend loads and loads of time with the pup. get into its run with it and just sit there talking calmly to it, you need to get the pup coming to you freely before you do anything else. patience is the main thing if you haven't got patience get rid because you will only do it harm.

• Like 1

you need to spend loads and loads of time with the pup. get into its run with it and just sit there talking calmly to it, you need to get the pup coming to you freely before you do anything else. patience is the main thing if you haven't got patience get rid because you will only do it harm.

spot on (patience) is the key, i dont like nervy pups, it just makes the job harder.But suppose if there well bred from good working parents, you got to put that extra effort in with a pup like on the post :yes:

Just wondering how you guys work with nervous pups, training and the like. Pup doesnt show any interest in playin or learning. Any ideas?

As you say the "pup doesnt show any interest in play/learning" could there be an underlying health problem?,just a thought.

I've never had a nervous lurcher/terrier buy have seen nervous young collies and one or two lurchers in the past....it's often an uphill struggle to be honest..if it's an inherent nervousness it's maybe something that'll never be overcome...and that won't be a reflection on you or your abilities...

Just build confidence whenever you can...make it fun...and offer rewards at any opportunity...

Good luck...

• Like 1

Its 5months iv had it for 3, its in good health been checked by vet. Its always been like this very nervous shy but as I say it will follow me anywhere but trying to get it to come to me when I want it is impossible always has been. Iv been hand feeding her aswel for a good while.