Water Based Paint

I once had a bathroom that was fully tiled from top to bottom....decided to paint it so got some white tile paint, didn't realise you can get this stuff that prepares tiles to take paint properly so ended up having to do the whole room about 6 times. It was like mental torture! Took me days!!! I honestly felt like getting a hammer and smashing every single tile off the wall.

How anyone go paint for a living I don't know, it's a horrible task!!!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

ian --- don't bother with water based --it yellows quicker--marks up quicker and if your painting over oil based it tends to peel ,shows the brush marks, stick to oil based undercoat and gloss or sati

Acrylic undercoat primer undercoat is a god send on a Friday afternoon when you want to get away! Lol

Stig Ive Oil Brushes Ive Had Yrs , And You Will Know What I Mean When I Say There "Worked In" . . Money Can't Buy Them Only Working Them In Over Time Gets Them Perfect For Cutting Woodwork In .

Im afraid im one of "those" people who paints for a living. I find the acrylic eggshell will give you a better finish. As has been stated before, the water based gloss tends to leave visible brush marks. The modern eco paints have come a long way, and are much easier and less fumey for inside the house. Def get yourself a decent acrylic brush, its worth paying a bit more, as they hold their shape better. Also you can wrap a bit of masking tape around the stock of the brush about 1/2 to 1 inch up from the base of the bristles, to stop it chicken footing (spreading out). Best of luck

It's not that bad....... Pretty therapeutic really!

Gives me a comfortable living most of the time.

Although I do prefer slinging paper as it excersises the mind a bit more.

Cheers, Matt

This gear any good then, the reviews seem not too bad..

http://www.screwfix.com/p/leyland-acrylic-gloss-paint-brilliant-white-2-5ltr/25344

Is acrylic based paint the same as the water based ?

It is mate, im a painter and dec and the only acrylic paint i use is undercoat, the gloss and satin finishes are pish, their only good point is its quick drying :thumbs:

good quality acrylic is worth paying a bit more for. I sometimes use the Dulux acrylic undercoat/primer and it is a lot better formulation than it used to be. I tend to stay away from the own brand builders merchant acrylics as the don't cover well, and chip quite easily. Cheaper to buy, but more coats required! Standard oil based gloss is a lot more hard wearing, but will discolour over time, will kick up, and needs a few hours to dry.

Water Based U/Coat , Gloss , Satin Is A Modern Day Quick Fix , Ian Use Oil Based Mate The Job Will Be Better & Last You Longer . . And I Do It For A Living (28yrs) And I Wouldnt Swap It For Any Other Trade !

I'm overhauling the house at the minute and I've decided to use a water based paint rather than the oil based traditional gloss for the skirting's, etc.

I've looked at the leyland acrylic paints, now I'm not sure to go for the water based gloss or the satinwood.

Any suggestions from resident painter/decorators , I hate painting by the way... :laugh:

hang on bud I will give matt cardle a ring............!!!

Guest norseman

im doing one room at the minute with water based paint, and im on the fourth coat :censored: its light colour on top of light colour ffs. im getting painters in for the rest of the house lol

f***ing rollers are shite these days too. cant see the wool rollers anywhere :hmm:

if you buy the right tools its half the battle -- your pound a pack brushes are shite--I`ve got brushes here that cost 30-40 quid each ... search out your local dulux/ crown decorator centre ----sort your self some decent kit and look after it, it will last a life time :thumbs: forget anything from wilkos or wickes ..

Edited by the_stig
  • Like 1

You can pick up wool rollers from your local brewers ltd. Thing is these days, people re-paint their house inside every 2 or 3 years as fashions change, so things don't have to last long. On top of that, companies like Farrow and Ball are switching all their paints to water based, to meet modern eco standards. I still prefer oil for outside, but don't forget the most important, good preparation, and a wash off first!

if you buy the right tools its half the battle -- your pound a pack brushes are shite--I`ve got brushes here that cost 30-40 quid each ... search out your local dulux/ crown decorator centre ----sort your self some decent kit and look after it, it will last a life time :thumbs: forget anything from wilkos or wickes ..

Stig Ive Oil Brushes Ive Had Yrs , And You Will Know What I Mean When I Say There "Worked In" . . Money Can't Buy Them Only Working Them In Over Time Gets Them Perfect For Cutting Woodwork In .
  • Like 2