Yet More Advice Needed!!

Im after abit more advice if any of you can help. The same bitch that was talked about in the thread 'Nasty cut' is one i took off a good mate as he moved to the north of england where there is very little work in his area for a lurcher. in her first season she hurt herself running a rabbit and he took her to the vets and was told she either had a hair line fracture in her back right leg or chipped some bone of the leg. he spent alot of time letting her heal and building her up on the lead on the road and she was walking with only the slightest of noticable limps and she runs as well and as fast as she ever did. only thing is after a run or two or after a hard night she holds the leg up more than usual. i was wondering if there is anything out there that i could give the bitch to help this. i have been giving her abit of metacam after hard nights but i feel as though it is a short term solution. any advice very much appreciated cheers

Im after abit more advice if any of you can help. The same bitch that was talked about in the thread 'Nasty cut' is one i took off a good mate as he moved to the north of england where there is very little work in his area for a lurcher. in her first season she hurt herself running a rabbit and he took her to the vets and was told she either had a hair line fracture in her back right leg or chipped some bone of the leg. he spent alot of time letting her heal and building her up on the lead on the road and she was walking with only the slightest of noticable limps and she runs as well and as fast as she ever did. only thing is after a run or two or after a hard night she holds the leg up more than usual. i was wondering if there is anything out there that i could give the bitch to help this. i have been giving her abit of metacam after hard nights but i feel as though it is a short term solution. any advice very much appreciated cheers

short answer is "the best pet home you can find" failing that, maybe biting the bullet is for the best. any medication will just be masking the problem

Take her to a decent vet mate and take there advise. Some dogs just never come back from real bad injuries. I had a young bitch cut through her tendons had all the right rest and all of that but after a night/day out she'd be sore for 3 or 4 days after so I give her too a family friend who doesn't work them it was real hard but sometimes it needs to be done it's not fair on the dog to be lame after every few runs imo atb mate might just need moretime off

if there is an underlying problem you need to get it x rayed. if not put up with her limps and give her time to heal. good diet and rest might come good but your first point of call is the x ray. I have a whippet cross that got her front leg smashed to pieces when she was 4 months old. 99% said put her down. I insure my dogs and gave her the chance - she is now 3 - last winter caught me masses of rabbits and isn't scared to run the fast stuff. Her gait is a bit odd but she fixed up and will now go from strength to strength. if she ain't insured its a different question - my bitches vet bill was £3.5k!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

make the right choice and best of luck

• Like 1

My dog received a major hairline fracture which messed his tendons up and he know has a lump of metal fused to his bone for support, he will never really work again but the dog will always stay with me no matter what, he was a hard worker when he was working, maybe some light ferreting with him in the future. If you have the right money and its do able a good vet will sort it from what i got told about this kind of injury or semi retiring if you cant sort it and give the bitch the odd few runs here and there, good luck ;)

we try to manage injuries as best we can if we know what the problem is, but in your case i think you need to get a proper diagnosis first. let us know what part of the country you are in, i'm sure somebody will know of a decent running dog vet near you

Take her to a good vet mate I'd pay for an X-ray then there's no guess work, when you know the result of that see what the vet says then contacts a bone man see what he says, was going to say could be tendons etc aswell, should never let a vet guess their mostly wrong