What To Do With Eels ?

Hi looking for info as ive cought s few now and was told by one angler to put them back as they clean the river not sure if true but could be as ive only been fishing since march but another angler told me to kill them as they eat the fish spawn killing future catches anyone shed light on the subject many thanks in advance lurcher2020

Growing up the rivers around me used to be teaming with them now there empty. As said pop them back there's not many about now . :thumbs:

An old boy I used to fish with hated them he used to just pop the bail arm over and cast the forkers back out . I wouldn't try that one at home folks .

:snack: Agreed with the above, the only thing I would add if you fancy one for the table, skin it chop into sections and fry in dripping, or with a bit of smokey bacon

yup rolled in flower and fried slow in butter we used to have them.

you can still buy farmed imported ones ......

Im guessing it was an old boy telling you this.....it used to be the same with pike ....of any size :censored: chuck em up the bank they eat all the fish :blink: pike /eels/perch/zander all play a vital part in balance of a fishery,yes they do eat some spawning fish ,eggs and fry,they also clear up dead/dying/diseased fish that would otherwise be left to rot....cant see taking one for the pot doing any damage,but I would put the rest back :yes: ATB

• Like 4