Whippets Not Keen Help

My 1 year old whippets not coursing or keen to chase rabbits, she was when she was smaller but all of a sudden is not interested what so ever!! :huh: Any ideas on whats happened or how i can get her a bit more interested. She has been shown rabbits and had her retrieving different game but just wont course? Thanks

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would also let the pup get to some ferreted rabbits in the net first. Not all dogs are world beaters from day one with prey drive through the roof. build her confidence with netted rabbits and progr

When did you start running her, if you have pushed her too hard (which is easy to do) you might have put her off, as 12 month is still young.

Where abouts are you mate? I've a young whippet that just had his 1st season and done well. If you're near me then you're more than welcome to bring her out and she can see another dog run. She's stil

Keep at it mate. Are you lamping her or moochin about?

Had her on the lamp once and she had a few runs but wasn't full out just a bit wary but its her first time so can understand! but moochin abut and she wont course? she sees them and just stands? Its my first pup and really need some help! thanks

Just be patient and the penny will drop.. Has she seen another dog chasing rabbits ?? From what ive read you say she was chasing when she was younger but not now.

Maybe she was overmatched too young ? Hope the penny drops for you pal. Atb. Keith

Just be patient and the penny will drop.. Has she seen another dog chasing rabbits ?? From what ive read you say she was chasing when she was younger but not now.

Maybe she was overmatched too young ? Hope the penny drops for you pal. Atb. Keith

When did you start running her, if you have pushed her too hard (which is easy to do) you might have put her off, as 12 month is still young.

I started taking her walks along the riverside near my house when she was about 6 months and was just letting her mooch her self. ive not done nothing serous with her. She has seen my dads lab and pointer catch and retrieve rabbits with mixy? first time on the lamp was about 9 months but not had her out since

Where abouts are you mate? I've a young whippet that just had his 1st season and done well. If you're near me then you're more than welcome to bring her out and she can see another dog run. She's still young...the penny will drop and she'll go ;-)

• Like 2

Where abouts are you mate? I've a young whippet that just had his 1st season and done well. If you're near me then you're more than welcome to bring her out and she can see another dog run. She's still young...the penny will drop and she'll go ;-)

scottish borders mate! i hope so! will just give her time and get her with the ferrets come september and let her mooch about a bit more!

scottish borders mate! i hope so! will just give her time and get her with the ferrets come september and let her mooch about a bit more!

A bit far but I'm down that way fishin on the Tweed now and again. Try her again Sept when she will be the right age to start. If you're lampin get as close to the rabbit as possible before you slip her and try giving her easier slips where she's got plenty space to chase and gives her a better chance of catching. Once she gets her 1st kill she will hopefully click.

Keep us posted on how she does and best of luck with her ;-)

A bit far but I'm down that way fishin on the Tweed now and again. Try her again Sept when she will be the right age to start. If you're lampin get as close to the rabbit as possible before you slip her and try giving her easier slips where she's got plenty space to chase and gives her a better chance of catching. Once she gets her 1st kill she will hopefully click.

Keep us posted on how she does and best of luck with her ;-)

i will let you's know! thanks for the help! i will just keep her retreiving in check and hopefuly it all goes good in sept and she gets her first! cant wait!!! thanks again guys!