Coursing Whippets

Always wondered how much work these Coursing Whippets would have in a Season, say compared to a Lad who would go Ferreting with his Whippet twice a week.

Who says they cant do both mate ?

I do realize they can do both, having had a Whippet which I worked, I just wondered how much work the owners of Club members, would see in a Season.

There's a great pic of some coursing whippets on the lurchers and sighthounds facebook page....just wondered if anyone had any vids of whippets coursing? or links to youtube clips? Can't seem to find any on there.

Nice image there.. :yes:

Watched plenty of ped whippets,.coursing the hares,...super days out, and generally held on fabulous ground,..often far better stocked with hares, than the land that the Greyhound coursing clubs used to run over...The Whippet clubs were always fairly well contained,. and it was always an enjoyable fun day...The best of the whippets ( and as a type,.they varied)...could stick to the tail of a hare, in the manner of a heat seeking missile,.real tight turns,.. and definitely exciting....

Never actually pulled many :laugh: ..but, good craic all the same.

My good old pal, the late Ted Walsh,.used to take some cracking photos at these events,...he loved the whippets... :thumbs:

My two Laguna and Madishan pups...Circa 1970s

File0282bmp.jpg

Edited by Phil Lloyd
  • Like 6

i really like the whippets amazing little dogs.but the ones ive seen over the years have made good little ferreting dogs and have been hand wile out bushing but on the lamp seem to burn out quickly. would love to see the courseing ones do there job :thumbs:

Would of loved to have seen the coursing with whippets love to see either a whippet our a small lurcher behind a hare ans turning tight with the hare and jaws snapping what a exciting sight preban of course Great we dogs whippets prefer the small lurchers all the same :thumbs:

• Like 1

Saw a few Greyhound coursing meets here, The Scottish national was held here,

but no Whips.

Would have loved to have seen them. was told, when the subject of muzzling the greyhounds came up, The Coursing Association would not have it,

Would it have made any difference to the ban, I don't think so.