What Binoculars?

Well Luke you can go from the 50 quid to literally thousands.A good pair for someone starting I can recommend is the Bushnell "Natureview" Audabon 8x42 ,they will certainly get you started and if the bug bites you can move onto the Swarovski, Leica and Zeiss etc which are not cheap if you so wish! Ebay item :

Edited by roe-buck

Well Luke you can go from the 50 quid to literally thousands.A good pair for someone starting I can recommend is the Bushnell "Natureview" Audabon 8x42 ,they will certainly get you started and if the bug bites you can move onto the Swarovski, Leica and Zeiss etc which are not cheap if you so wish! Ebay item :

thanks alot mate!

I got a pair of barr and stroud 8x42 sahara binoculars payed £60 new from ebay, real good quality for the money, and ideal if your starting out, wide field of view, and clear view through the glass, plus there waterproof, and shock proof, worth a look to get you started,

all the best,

jay. :thumbs:

I got a pair of barr and stroud 8x42 sahara binoculars payed £60 new from ebay, real good quality for the money, and ideal if your starting out, wide field of view, and clear view through the glass, plus there waterproof, and shock proof, worth a look to get you started,

all the best,

jay. :thumbs:

thanks alot pal.

Get the best you can afford ..there is no substitute for quality Luke , if you can run to a second hand pair of Swarovski EL's you will never need to change them ...as you never mentioned your budget you may well be loaded in which case give it the full nine yards and get the new swaro / range finder bino's ...about £2k ...if you are wedged up get me a pair as well ...please ..good luck

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Get the best you can afford ..there is no substitute for quality Luke , if you can run to a second hand pair of Swarovski EL's you will never need to change them ...as you never mentioned your budget you may well be loaded in which case give it the full nine yards and get the new swaro / range finder bino's ...about £2k ...if you are wedged up get me a pair as well ...please ..good luck

Good advice get the absolute best you can afford, not easy I know but its alright spending hundreds on the rifle and scope but if you can't find it in the first place you can't shoot it!

You will spend more time looking through your binoculars than you will through the scope so get quality. I bought a pair of binos for £150.00 they are absolutely superb the quality is as old as anything you will look through......until it gets to dusk, these had packed in at least 20mins before my mates set of German binos. I now have a set of Zeiss conquests and although expensive they will last me a lifetime and probably my son as well.

ATB

ive got a pair of zeiss 10 x 40 t*p* clasics , they set me back around 700 pounds and they are my most prized possesion fantastic optics , ive heard great things about the minox 8 x 42s and i htink they are around 140 a pair so definately worth a look

I've a pair of Opticron, imagic, 7x42 porro-prisms (i.e. "dog-legged" shape bins) that you can buy new for just under £150. I've also got a pair of Leica Ultravid 8x42 roof-prisms (i.e. straight cans)... that you can't buy new for much less than about £1580. To be honest there's almost nothing between them... I depend on them daily, in all light conditions, at all ranges... for stalking and a variety of property management purposes.

If you want the sexiest "best" ones spend your money on Leica, Swarovski, Zeiss or the likes... but if you want good value, good quality, servicable kit... go porro and Opticron. Least ways that's my experienced opinion... and I've been buying optics for professional use for almost 40 years now.

Edited by Tamus

Luke,

As others have said, there's no substitute for quality. I've done the lower end of the market and got by for many years, however now I can afford it, I couldn't go back to anything less than Swaro or Zeiss.

My personal preference is Zeiss, but go the extra mile and try & get a bino rangefinder. I have the Victory RF that I picked up second hand for £1000, and they're simply awwsome, especially in low light. The rangefinder works out to a phenomenal range too.

With optics, you truly get what you pay for....

Hawke Endurance ED 8x43, for the money these are excellent, best thing to do is go too a local optics store and try as many as you can.

I don't think they do the Endurance in ED. Frontier, Prostalk, Sapphire & Panorama all ED. I may be wrong. There's a pair of Prostalk in the sales section :)

I bought a pair of Carl Zeiss jenoptem 8x40 binoculars of ebay. I think I paid £30 or £40 for them. They are old fashioned and a bit heavier than the newer ones (I need to get a harness) but the quality is really excellent. I use mine for stalking and would defiantly recommend them.