Outside My Window ......

I must admit; Through a lifetime of Birding the south of england, they were indeed a deeply uncommon occurrence. Now? I certainly see them more often than I do Song Thrushes. I's say I must see a pair most months of the year. Ringed a few too.

I'd say the most common bird around me is the Great Tits. Funny. I had them counted to a head. Between five and seven were attending my feeders every day. I kept counting them for ages.

Then, my governor turned up and put the mist net up :icon_eek: I think we ringed something like twenty five f**king GT's that day! What I'd thought to be half a dozen birds, ferrying back and forth was, in fact, a constant stream of birds passing through!

One of a bull finch keepers biggest problem OP is stopping the parent birds from chucking out the chicks when the chicks have been rung,Bullfinches hate rings on a chick and go ontothe bird forums and your read plenty of horror stories of chicks having legs chewed off or dead chicks around a nest pan where they have been chucked out.Just about ALL bullie breeders either use small rubber bands or sticking plasters to try to cover up the ring but even then it's even odds if they rear them or chuck them,i'm saying this as you say you've rung some wild ones before and do you go back to check on the chicks or just leave them to it and did you know about this with them?.

you say you've rung some wild ones before and do you go back to check on the chicks or just leave them to it and did you know about this with them?.

Fireman; We only ring adults, caught in my bosses mist net (I haven't got a mist net permit and I don't want one. I'm not in the least bit comfortable with getting birds out of them so I have nothing to do with them. I use various types of small traps)

Regards Bullie's at the nest though? Yes, they're a recognised (in the context of nest recording) dodgy species. Very dodgy birds. Extremely prone to desertion.

In balance; I extremely strictly watch out for the birds welfare as my paramount concern. Therefore, I simply refuse to have anything to do with a known dodgy species. What good is a string of records when they all end in " Bird Deserted. All Dead. " :no:

• Like 1