Small Lurchers On Deer Pre Ban !!!!

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I personally don't consider a 24/25 inch dog a small dog, I think the frame of the dog matters more in these sizes and most of them are very adequate indeed   I consider a small dog 18/22 with a sma

Whats everyones opinion on a small lurcher to me 25tts is a big dog just curious

its ok for these dogs to catch deer preban but ,.........too define a good small dog they needed to be finished quick aswell............ no point catching them to suffer from clinging to the back leg

Posted Images

On another note.. it always gets said that a good dog should dispatch its quarry before human intervention.

Well what about thos times when it doesnt.... how did you go about dispatching a deer.....

Obviously I have never done it but if I had to then personally I think I would find it easiest to put the knife in behind the wind pipe and cut out wards.......if I had ever seen a friend of mine dispatch then they may have said they didnt like the method just described and they always put the knife in at the base of the skull a sever what I would guess would be the cerebral cortex.........but never having seen it, its all just speculation matey

or could just do the artery :yes:

Edited by mushroom
  • Like 1

On another note.. it always gets said that a good dog should dispatch its quarry before human intervention.

Well what about thos times when it doesnt.... how did you go about dispatching a deer.....

A knife.

I liked the story about the rugby tackle fail. I had a deer come straight at me the other day, but it was a red, i started screaming and waving like a nutter, it glided off the track 20 feet in front, (that was close enough.).. over the roughest shit imaginable for any animal to run over, brash matt - yards wide and yards deep.

• Like 1

If the deer is easily held, then I point its head face down, chin towards the body, insert knife between skull and last vertebrae, sounds time consuming but easy and quick if the deer is not strongly thrashing. Otherwise Im in at the front of the chest, straight into heart/arteries, as you have to bleed from there anyway.

Is anybody capable of breaking their necks? Anything upto fallow doe's ?

i once had a pup grab a chinese by the arse, didn't know how to finish the job as she was only about 10 months and put the deer up by accident. by the time i got there the poor critter was pretty shredded and i didnt even have a pocket knife on me. by straddling the body with my whole weight on it and twisting its neck (using the end of the muzzle to get leverage) i managed to dislocate it, just by twisting an inch at a time then resetting my grip and another inch and so on. took several minutes and had to twist virtually a complete revolution and it was really difficult and all in all a very unpleasant experience. i would never want to do it again, and i dont believe there are many men strong enough to do that with bigger deer, especially if they still had some fight left in them.

i once had a pup grab a chinese by the arse, didn't know how to finish the job as she was only about 10 months and put the deer up by accident. by the time i got there the poor critter was pretty shredded and i didnt even have a pocket knife on me. by straddling the body with my whole weight on it and twisting its neck (using the end of the muzzle to get leverage) i managed to dislocate it, just by twisting an inch at a time then resetting my grip and another inch and so on. took several minutes and had to twist virtually a complete revolution and it was really difficult and all in all a very unpleasant experience. i would never want to do it again, and i dont believe there are many men strong enough to do that with bigger deer, especially if they still had some fight left in them.

not a good way to do it at all! Grad the chin pull back and push where the head meets the neck and pop it will go not always easy but never failed.

I personally don't consider a 24/25 inch dog a small dog, I think the frame of the dog matters more in these sizes and most of them are very adequate indeed

I consider a small dog 18/22 with a small frame........if people were to run roe and fallow on a regular basis with these type of animals the first question in my head would be "why?"

i like all dogs of all flavours but my favourite is the bigger dog 27+ I just like watching a big dog work, speed turning just the pure effort of them, but I've also seen a 19" beddy wip take fallow and regular as you like. Reason is because it can. But still rather the bigger type Lurcher, once has hold it's in the bag. If only we could still do this.
I hope you don't take this the wrong way but I would be very interested to know what you mean by " regular" matey?..........a full grown Fallow doe is some machine in full flight never mind a buck especially in the daytime.........on a 50+ acre field in the daytime you will soon see how capable a fallow is of running..........so I am told.
the dog is still alive and a certain member of here has seen it go many time so maybe he will tell us what he knows? Like the time the Weddy wip has killed when his bull x has failed.
  • Like 1

not a good way to do it at all! Grad the chin pull back and push where the head meets the neck and pop it will go not always easy but never failed.

youre right, it wasnt a good way to do it!!!! never walked out without a pocket knife since that day ;)

:thumbs:

youre right, it wasnt a good way to do it!!!! never walked out without a pocket knife since that day ;)

i was trying to be funny but it must have been hard work and slow for the deer, ATB.
  • Like 1