Terrier Skin Problem

I've got a problem with my JRT bitch at the moment where she is chewing her front legs really badly and has sores on them which are bleeding. She's been to the vets on two occasions and is currently on a steroid based cream to heal the wounds and I also have a spray to put on the area which is meant to taste disgusting. However, the little :censored: continues to chew them. She's on a hypo allergic dry mix which she's eaten for over a year, so it can't be that? Have any of you experienced this :hmm:

Go to a mechanic and ask for some old engine oil that has been drained from an engine and apply to the area it's a bit messy but it works for most skin conditions including mange and mites

Go to a mechanic and ask for some old engine oil that has been drained from an engine and apply to the area it's a bit messy but it works for most skin conditions including mange and mites

Burnt oil is a known carcinogen, far better creams availible, post a pic of her legs.....

Please don't put old car oil on her legs :icon_eek:

Most allergy type reactions are either something they eat, or something they are in contact with. If diet hasn't changed, and you aren't adding chews/treats etc, then check out bedding ( biological washing powder is a classic one, if they are on fabric ) and floor washing ( bleach and pine based disinfectants are most likely to cause problems )

I would also stop the spray - if the skin is already sore, then it won't help. If she is chewing anyway, it makes them dribble like mad, and that won't help the legs either ( the saliva leaves the legs wet, which is bad for the skin, and the rubbish about saliva being "good for wounds because it kills bugs" is just not true )

Has the vet suggested a course of tablet steroid ? or maybe antihistamines ? Creams are all well and good, but on hairy legs that are getting chewed, it is unlikely to a) have time to be absorbed into the skin before getting licked off and B) get enough onto the actual skin, not the hair, to make a difference

Fingers crossed :thumbs:

• Like 2

Have you had the dog tested for auto immune disease also mites can cos the symptoms I once had a choc lab with auto immune and he turned out too be allergic too every thing grass mites and grain food bread cheap dog foods and the things about mites they are infested in carpets and bedding as gem has said also different washing powders also even if ur on a hypo allergenic food some can still have things in it my lab could not eat lamb chicken or beef or any other grain prouducts have you tried pig and sulphur oil

hypoallergenic feeds can still set off reactions , check out exclusion diets . expensive but effective IF it is a feed allergy . also a course of antibiotics may lessen the soreness of the legs and give them a chance to heal the open sores . which maybe have a staphylococci infection .?

• Like 1

One of my terriers has this problem and it's especially bad in the summer. He's on a steroid tablet a day and an antihistamine a day. I've found feeding him a BARF diet a great help. also washing him down in diluted hibi scrub after he gets in from the fields. you could try vaseline on the area that's bothering her before she goes out too to protect him form anything that might be causing her to itch

• Like 1