Irish Game Fair Shanes Castle

It has saddened me greatly to see the angry disputes start up again over terrier, whippet and lurcher racing and showing again in Ireland. If its not the workers v the 'show ponies' , it is allegations of unregistered greyhounds racing as lurchers. We have worked hard within the Great Game Fairs of Ireland team to give terrier, lurcher and whippet owners parity with all the other country sports which are represented at our fairs i.e the best prizes in Ireland; innovative events to give them the chance of international competition within Ireland ; the best judges we can bring in from the Uk and/or the choice of good Irish judges ( NO ONE IS EXCLUDED) ; a good central location within the fairs including ringside parking ( better treatment here than the gundogs!) and an involvement in our press and PR activities.

Last year we decided to try to split the Lurchers running at Shanes and Birr into Open and Novice groupings and whippets into KC registered and others . It worked fairly well but there were still some allegations of unreg greyhounds running so when an initiative was launched to bring show organisers together to set common standards we supported the formation of the NILRC. Unfortunately I was unable to attend the early meetings but out of them came a classifications system that I felt could work GIVEN TIME.

THIS YEAR we are running the racing under the classifications suggested by the NILRC - I see this as offering lurcher owners more opportunities to win prizes against dogs graded similarly to their dog. Whatever people think of members of the NILRC I see that this can only be an improvement on previous years. I suggest they discuss the classification logically rather than criticise people for drawing it up and HELPING to implement it. I am very happy to discuss how the classification can be improved in future years but for this year we have agreed to use it.

Obviously within any classification system being introduced there will be teething problems about gradings and I could see that initially dogs could be placed in categories which gave them an advantage but over time such dogs would be moved out of that category. But the odd result like this does not justify throwing the baby out with the bath water.

As well as the grading system evolving so must any club and I understand that there have been ongoing discussions within the NILRC about broadening the base of the club and making it more representative. But the way forward is through suggesting ways of improving the current rules of the NILRC and how the club operates rather than getting involved in slanging matches.

I would ask you to suspend judgement until the club has a full year over it and its performance can be judged fairly. NILRC members who will act as line judges at Shanes will have my full support as I consider they will be a useful addition to line judges from the organising club and that is how I feel it should be.

Albertj

Edited by AlbertJ

Albert I for one as you know support the great gamefairs of Ireland But all we hear is referance to NILRC and the rules You are running the racing by these rules surely you have been given a copy of the rules A few of us would like to know what the rules are state on a few subjects such as who determines what is to run as a whippet ? If a someone has problem with a lurcher being too closly bred to a Greyhound etc etc.I have in the fourm asked the NILRC to discuss the rules.Not wanting to get anyone just asking the NILRC to be open and transprant.

Sammy

• Like 1

albert as you know i have come round to your side sort of, any club is only as good as its events and unfortunatly this one has had a bad run,ive looked on from the start and thought it was a great idea and even looked forward to future events but what started and what is now here are very different, i went out and bought a pedigree racing whippet so i could race at next years shows and do it right now they let anything run so what a fool i was when i could of spent a lot less and got a non ped, their rules are at the start of their facebook page for all to see and they clearly stated kc reg and under 21. fact

ive been at all the shows so far this year and without naming anyone there has been alot of favoured desisions on the clubs part. i really hope they sort it out as we are no further forward now than we were last year.the chair and vice chair are on here but never give answers to anyone when they should. ive been to a few events that they werent involved in and sorry to say they were great. stop blaming everyone else and sort it out nilrc

albert as you know i have come round to your side sort of, any club is only as good as its events and unfortunatly this one has had a bad run,ive looked on from the start and thought it was a great idea and even looked forward to future events but what started and what is now here are very different, i went out and bought a pedigree racing whippet so i could race at next years shows and do it right now they let anything run so what a fool i was when i could of spent a lot less and got a non ped, their rules are at the start of their facebook page for all to see and they clearly stated kc reg and under 21. fact

ive been at all the shows so far this year and without naming anyone there has been alot of favoured desisions on the clubs part. i really hope they sort it out as we are no further forward now than we were last year.the chair and vice chair are on here but never give answers to anyone when they should. ive been to a few events that they werent involved in and sorry to say they were great. stop blaming everyone else and sort it out nilrc

Kegs,

I know we have had a few robust discussions on the forum and I smiled a bit when I read that you had sort of come round to my side. I genuinely don't mind criticism good or bad and I do try to react positively to it. I do respect that the members of the NILRC are well intentioned and have spent a great deal of their time trying to put an agreed system in place - as I said there are inevitably teething prblems with any system being implemented and I really do suggest everyone gives the system and club time to evolve.

I have taken Sammy and your point about the NILRC rules published on FB stating KC registered whippets and under 21 - indeed I took this up with the NILRC when we were putting together our classifications and was told it had been changed. However since people like you may have been misled into purchasing KC whippets and had this door closed and we seek to be the best and most exclusive event for terrier, whippet and lurcher owners I am happy to invoke the part of my agreement with the NILRC that while the main events would be run under their rules and classifications we reserved the right to run some 'special races' under the 'Directors challenges'. I am happy to put in a whippet race for KC registered whippets. In fact I remember having a much regetted 'spat' with the late Eddie McKinstry on this matter and was very glad that we had the opportunity to shake hands at Birr after it and before he died. So on reflection I am pleased to be able to offer this. But as with all things I honestly feel with a bit of calm discussion these matters can all be ironed out. I will make the necessary change to our list of events - now can I genuinely state that this is the FINAL classification and can I ask that everyone give it and the NIRLC's involvement in our fair a chance?

Edited by AlbertJ

its your event your call albert but on one point this system does work as it went without a hitch at the event you were present the mourne to which none of the nilrc were even there,i pointed this out to tango but he dosnt want involved with the arguements which i agree with but cant say nothing forever as i travel along way up to these shows and just want a fair do. good luck with shanes i genuinely hope it goes well for everyone

• Like 1

its your event your call albert but on one point this system does work as it went without a hitch at the event you were present the mourne to which none of the nilrc were even there,i pointed this out to tango but he dosnt want involved with the arguements which i agree with but cant say nothing forever as i travel along way up to these shows and just want a fair do. good luck with shanes i genuinely hope it goes well for everyone

Unfortunately I didn't get to see the racing at Mourne as I had to get home to feed my pup. However I understand Tango was involved in drawing up the NILRC classifications - including the published ones which included the KC registered whippet race. We do want to be as inclusive as possible so there are now two races at Shanes in which you can run your whippet.

• Like 1

Albert, empty your inbox.

Janet, And anyone else who wants to contact me privately you can do so on irishgamefair@btinternet.com or on Facebook or give me a call. I find the PM on this forum a little restrictive in terms of space.

Also I get a lot of people agreeing with me privately ( and of course disagreeing with me too!). But I do wish they would put their heads above the parapet and post publicly if they have something positive to say or even if they disagree but have constructive criticism as to how things can be done better. I think this could lead to positive debate that will actually get things done rather than potentially divisive arguments that schieves little other than relieving frustration.

Edited by AlbertJ

PM is a good idea.

Can I remind everyone that this area of the forum is to advertise shows and meet ups; NOT to discuss internal politics.

Any sign of trouble and the thread will go.

PM is a good idea.

Can I remind everyone that this area of the forum is to advertise shows and meet ups; NOT to discuss internal politics.

Any sign of trouble and the thread will go.

Matt,

I am trying to encourage people to make positive suggestion about how our fair and other events can encompass differing opinions. I agree that this should not involve personalised abuse. My wife had a rule in our house that my boys could debate or argue about anything so long as it was not personal!

Albert, empty your inbox.

Janet, And anyone else who wants to contact me privately you can do so on irishgamefair@btinternet.com or on Facebook or give me a call. I find the PM on this forum a little restrictive in terms of space.

Also I get a lot of people agreeing with me privately ( and of course disagreeing with me too!). But I do wish they would put their heads above the parapet and post publicly if they have something positive to say or even if they disagree but have constructive criticism as to how things can be done better. I think this could lead to positive debate that will actually get things done rather than potentially divisive arguments that schieves little other than relieving frustration.

OK AJ I'll put my head above the parapet and repeat what would do away with 99% of the problems encountered at your shows

The organisers run the show and racing thats what they get paid for, the entrants pay to enter your fair and any classes or races they pay for BUT then have to compete against the organisers(or their mates) dogs

Why do you need 3 judges on the line alongside photo finish? majority decision to win? Open to abuse 2 mates rule their mates dog won and the other judge is overriden

KC whippet classes showing and racing?Do you get KC approval to hold these classes?

There posted publicly

Y.I.S Leeview