It's Not Going To Get Any Better. . . . .

Too many 'hunters' (used in the broadest sense at times), not enough land.

Every year there are a lot more folk getting into it than there are folk getting out.

The numbers of game seem to be falling.

And they are not going to make any more land any time soon.

So what is the future of it all . . . . is there one?

Or eventually are the just going to be 1000's of people all trying to hit the same few spots . . . until they are gone as well?

Every year there are a lot more folk getting into it than there are folk getting out.

Or eventually are the just going to be 1000's of people all trying to hit the same few spots . . . until they are gone as well?

alot of northern irelands like that now :laugh:

I think the job of the guys who've been hunting for a while is to take newbies ( like me) and show them how to manage permissions and not just destroy populations of shootable quarry.

That way there should always be enough to go around. I'm door knocking now to get my own permissions and when I get one I'll be looking for an old hand to show me how to best manage it.

Where is the stats to say more folk are getting into it than leaving? I'm not sure that's right!!

I'd have said that lack of game could be down to increase in BOP, different farming methods and weather to be honest.

• Like 2

id be more worried of losing the land to developers and ;; those trust organisations like the scottish heritage we all have them,and we lose vast sways of land to them.Have to say in some cases im for it.They will build houses anywhere these days.In fact just down the road from there a nice green park lined with oak trees.they got approval for 70 houses,this fanny today was looking at the oak trees.i said how old are they.over 100years pity some will need to go he said and walked off.should have set the dug on the c**t lol

• Like 1

I think the job of the guys who've been hunting for a while is to take newbies ( like me) and show them how to manage permissions and not just destroy populations of shootable quarry.

That way there should always be enough to go around. I'm door knocking now to get my own permissions and when I get one I'll be looking for an old hand to show me how to best manage it.

It's a tough one mate. And this is just me 'thinking out loud'. But you need quite a lot of land and quite a lot of game to really test yourself and your charges, and to be able to hunt properly over a season. With young lads coming into the game. Where do they find permission? Most of it is already sown up, and unless the folk do something really daft, die or retire from the game. . . . that land isnt coming up for grabs any time soon. The numbers of 'hunters' way way way exceed the number of farms and estates around. SO its just not physically possible for everyone who wants it, to have enough permission. So then a lot of folk must / do poach . . . . and they obviously poach the places that hold game. . . . . and so slowely these places come under so much pressure that they no longer hold the levels of game needed to support the numbers of folk hunting them . . . . . . .

It's a tough one mate. And this is just me 'thinking out loud'. But you need quite a lot of land and quite a lot of game to really test yourself and your charges, and to be able to hunt properly over a season. With young lads coming into the game. Where do they find permission? Most of it is already sown up, and unless the folk do something really daft, die or retire from the game. . . . that land isnt coming up for grabs any time soon. The numbers of 'hunters' way way way exceed the number of farms and estates around. SO its just not physically possible for everyone who wants it, to have enough permission. So then a lot of folk must / do poach . . . . and they obviously poach the places that hold game. . . . . and so slowely these places come under so much pressure that they no longer hold the levels of game needed to support the numbers of folk hunting them . . . . . . .

There's large pockets of hunters in certain areas and small amounts of land available. However in other areas the opposite is true