How Much Collie In My Dog??

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Naa its 2/8 collie

FFS mate get a grip - the lad had his answer in a few different permutations...and that makes them twats.....????? You've had a sense of humour failure I reckon...

does it bite .if so there to much collie in it lol

Posted Images

obviously more than you, what do you want me to do write a scientific paper on it ffs

as neoleavers post says after generations you can get throw backs which would be

impossible if the genes weren't there

No! obviously not!

well i don't know what your saying,i said the collie gene is still there but dormant, you where saying

it could virtually disappear in one generation.now i don't know what your saying

I'll explain in simple terms. All genes are in pairs, each pair made up of one from each parent. there is a pair of genes to control just about every aspect , eye colour , coat type , coat colour etc. some genes are dominant to others . If you take the genes for eye colour in humans for example, the brown gene is dominant to blue, therefore with a blue gene from one parent and brown gene from the other parent, all offspring will have brown eyes. Now these offspring will have one blue gene and one brown. Two parents of this type will produce offspring that can have two brown genes, two blue genes or one of each. Now the ones with the two brown genes have lost the blue gene in one generation. Back to the dogs in question having 75% greyhound genes on both sides, it's easy to see that these genes passed at random to make up pairs can throw pups with very few collie genes. Add to that, that some of the collie genes past may well be recessive genes . Hence some of the pups could be virtually greyhounds.

• Like 2

yeh hence we say it's thrown to the greyhound but recessive genes are still there,just not active

& if the pup was later mated to another dog carrying the same recessive gene it could become

active or am i wrong

looks good on paper but its still bullshit if that were the case it would be very easyy to elimate an unwated gene

It is easy to eliminate an unwanted gene if you know what it is dominant to. All you need to do is test mate each animal to something that is recessive to the gene you want to eliminate, to see if it is carrying the unwanted gene . Not very practical with dogs I must admit and only works for visible traits. ..

yeh hence we say it's thrown to the greyhound but recessive genes are still there,just not active

& if the pup was later mated to another dog carrying the same recessive gene it could become

active or am i wrong

Your half right, there is no way of telling in any generation after a first cross , whether a gene is recessive or absent, unless it shows up in later generations.

looks good on paper but its still bullshit if that were the case it would be very easyy to elimate an unwated gene

It is easy to eliminate an unwanted gene if you know what it is dominant to. All you need to do is test mate each animal to something that is recessive to the gene you want to eliminate, to see if it is carrying the unwanted gene . Not very practical with dogs I must admit and only works for visible traits. ..

lol a man of your talents is wasted on the huntinglife you should be in a laboratory dealing with human malfunctions lol

lol a man of your talents is wasted on the huntinglife you should be in a laboratory dealing with human malfunctions lol
I don't know about that, this place would be the ideal place to start a research paper on human malfunctions! :laugh: