Looks Like Game Over

Hi lads got some terrible news this week. Doctors told me any hard work is over for me and that includes ferreting. Im totaly devastated about it. Since the first day headind for 40 yrs i made my debut,i still look forward to every ferreting trip as the first. Even family members are pressing me now to quit,i said id take a couple of weeks to decide on it,maybe the decision is made for me. How can i not hunt again and only you lads would understand looking out a window on a frosty cold morning, how hard that would be to bare. Maybe with a bit of sun on me back for the summer might change things fingers crossed.

Ferreting doesn't have to be hard work ... One ferret in a small box no nets and just wander along and bolt for the dog ... A nice leisurely walk with some hunting chucked in .........

• Like 7

Sorry ye having to pack it all in, really sad news' after so many years at the sport .

Why don't you take the time that's been given to you and wright your memories down maybe even a little book? I'm sure you would have some fantastic story's that many of us would love to read about atb mark

• Like 1

Ferreting doesn't have to be hard work ... One ferret in a small box no nets and just wander along and bolt for the dog ... A nice leisurely walk with some hunting chucked in .........

Spot on there socks, just a different approach

• 2 weeks later...

Thats bad news i couldn't do it i would find some way to get out there after all it keeps you fit in mind and body.I would look to take on a younger person to help lighten the load who you could train up. ATB

If you don't mind the mentoring role, I for one would drop everything for a chance to go out and learn somthing with a veteran of hunting. Even if that meant they sat back in a recliner while I ran around like a bugger doing all the work! Plenty of people like me who would only be too happy to take over the hard work for the learning and experience.

Sorry to hear that mate.. :( As has been suggested, you could always maybe find someone to do the dog work for you? I suffer with bad knees, and before I moved my pal used to do all the crawling about setting the nets in awkward places, etc. I really miss it now I haven't got anyone to go with, it'd be a shame for you to pull out completely.. :thumbs: