Turning Ability

All joking aside, it'll be interesting to see how jdogs dog he rescued turns, bends and slows down with his tail docked. They use their tail a lot in running.

it will have to learn to ballance without its rudder :thumbs:
You ever seen one run without a tail mate? Can see it kicking out a lot. Never seen one but I'd imagine it would.

no i haven`t mate, but im sure it will find a way to compansate given time, but at what cost only time will tell.
Aye, should be interesting :thumbs:
:thumbs: it should be :D I think she will adapt but obviously she won't catch as well as she would with a tail but she will get every opitunity to try :) once she's properly fit I'm going to stick her in my lure machine and put plenty bends in it ill video it for you all to see just to get an idea of how she will cope :thumbs:

Thanks mate. Hope you don't take offense at my query, it was playing on my mind and didn't want to mention it on your rescue thread :thumbs:

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think intelligence has a lot to do with turning ability, well , intelligence and experience. A dog with good turning ability anticipates the turn, or in some circumstances actually deliberately caus

your right speedie that wee capt lad has reared a few goodun,s the last couple season,s. he seames a great lad and know,s how the look after his pups.

FFs............

Posted Images

All joking aside, it'll be interesting to see how jdogs dog he rescued turns, bends and slows down with his tail docked. They use their tail a lot in running.

it will have to learn to ballance without its rudder :thumbs:
You ever seen one run without a tail mate? Can see it kicking out a lot. Never seen one but I'd imagine it would.

no i haven`t mate, but im sure it will find a way to compansate given time, but at what cost only time will tell.
Aye, should be interesting :thumbs:
:thumbs: it should be :D I think she will adapt but obviously she won't catch as well as she would with a tail but she will get every opitunity to try :) once she's properly fit I'm going to stick her in my lure machine and put plenty bends in it ill video it for you all to see just to get an idea of how she will cope :thumbs:
Thanks mate. Hope you don't take offense at my query, it was playing on my mind and didn't want to mention it on your rescue thread :thumbs:

No not at all mate I started a thread asking the same thing as you regards her turning ect as I'm thinking the same thing , Afew lads came forward with dogs they have had docked and said they work ok but time will tell :) I diddnt think she would run catch ect but I won't know until she tries :) ill defo get some vids of her on the lure or behind a rabbit so you can see how she copes :) looking forward to just getting her out :thumbs:

Not necessarily: had a couple of really long backed curs who could turn on their own length at top speed: I'd say great flexibility is the key to tight turning, and having a wide enough chest to allow the front legs to stabilize the front end correctly when turning: never saw a very narrow chested dog able to turn well.

most beddy x and saluki x are narrow chested an have front legs very close together and they have great turning ability yet the wide chested bull x turns like a boat
  • Like 2

little anchors thats the answer one on the left and one on the right drop the anchor which ever way you want to turn no navy lads on here , one other points hares only have small tails and they can turn maybe the big ears

little anchors thats the answer one on the left and one on the right drop the anchor which ever way you want to turn no navy lads on here , one other points hares only have small tails and they can turn maybe the big ears

It's easier to turn when your dictating the turn, harder to react than act :)

IMHO a lot of the dogs abilitys has to do with the rearing of a dog turning jumping getting over or under gates ect.Some breads may turn better than others but none of them will be any good for anything in the wrong hands .Like I always say the same men always seem to come up with a good enough dog .

• Like 1

IMHO a lot of the dogs abilitys has to do with the rearing of a dog turning jumping getting over or under gates ect.Some breads may turn better than others but none of them will be any good for anything in the wrong hands .Like I always say the same men always seem to come up with a good enough dog .

your right speedie that wee capt lad has reared a few goodun,s the last couple season,s. he seames a great lad and know,s how the look after his pups.

• Like 3

Not necessarily: had a couple of really long backed curs who could turn on their own length at top speed: I'd say great flexibility is the key to tight turning, and having a wide enough chest to allow the front legs to stabilize the front end correctly when turning: never saw a very narrow chested dog able to turn well.

most beddy x and saluki x are narrow chested an have front legs very close together and they have great turning ability yet the wide chested bull x turns like a boat

But are they really narrow in the chest compared to the rest of their body? Maybe I'm wrong, or maybe its a lot more complicated than that: something to do with the angle of the shoulders as well and their placing with relation to their rib cage. I have a very detailed and in depth book called Dog Gait and Analysis, or something like that: I'll have to try and dig it out some time: can't remember who it is by, but a lot of what the author says goes straight over my head :icon_redface: But I do remember that it is never one single thing that makes or breaks the physical ability of a dog, more a combination of umpteen different factors: which makes sense of course.

Re the low centre of gravity: Salukis put paid to that notion straight off with their long legs and relatively short backs ... or is it that some people would say they're not going fast enough to have to turn wide? :tongue2:

• Like 2

My old bitches dam ended up with 3 good legs, the back right was still attached but completely wasted away, no muscle, shrivelled up with the pads pointing up the way, she still caught plenty rabbits, turned better than I had imagined. Only thing that it really hindered was she couldn't jump. My point is they adapt very well.

I think intelligence has a lot to do with turning ability, well , intelligence and experience. A dog with good turning ability anticipates the turn, or in some circumstances actually deliberately causes the turn. I've seen dogs that appear to have all the necessary physical requirements that over run to excess, even look surprised that the quarry has turned at all. I've watched dogs through binos that just fly through the field of vision periodically , same in the lamp, some never learn. You know the ones, them that go like a bull at a gate or should I say like a bullx at a gate! :whistling:

• Like 3