Deerhound Xs And Their Maturing

Read a lot on here about how slow deerhound Xs are to mature etc etc and I know every individual dogs different but, I feel my dh x gh 2nd cross bitch who is 7.5month is much more mature and switched on at this age than any other pup I've had which have been saluki Xs, I'm just wondering on folks past expeiriance with deerhound Xs maturin. Cheers apoligies for spelling!

I've never found any of mine slow to mature. I don't run my dogs until they're 9 months plus and then it's only easy stuff for them. My dogs are out with me everyday and everywhere I go, fishing shooting, mooching from the moment they can get out, they see loads of stuff before they ever get to chase it.

A lot of people who tell you that they are slow to mature haven't actually owned one or don't put the work in. My dogs have been doing everything I need them to by 18 months.

• Like 1

foud mine slow to mature around the house and with other dogs etc. all he ever wants to do is play and piss about when not out in the field. but however when you set out with a lamp in your hand its as if a switch has gone of in his head and he just goes into "hunting mode".

• Like 1

My dog is slow to mature. I really think it depends how much deerhound is in the dog. Deerhounds and first crosses, from what I can gather, mature faster than second crosses, or mixes with a good dose of deerhound in them.

My dog has deerhound (pronounced occipital bump/shaggy coat - top part anyway/twenty seven and a half" tts/GH, and something else (probably terrier) in him. His still very puppyish, still growing - his snout is anyway. He's settling, but still very excitable, and an adolescent rather than full-grown. Still growing is a fairly good sign (to me anyway) that the dog is not mature.

He's two and a half.

We met a ten-month old untrained rescue lurcher (not DH X) last night - been with his new owner less than a week - good as gold.

I know the new owner well and have no reason to believe he was lying when he told me the dog had been kept in a small kennel, unexercised and unworked.

DazAllison1, my dog was evidently good and well-behaved up to 6 months old, according to the old owner. This may have been right. Taz went through increasingly bad behaviour as he grew and is only coming out of it now. Watch for that and good luck with your dog.

Edited by Taz-n-Lily

I've never found any of mine slow to mature. I don't run my dogs until they're 9 months plus and then it's only easy stuff for them. My dogs are out with me everyday and everywhere I go, fishing shooting, mooching from the moment they can get out, they see loads of stuff before they ever get to chase it.

A lot of people who tell you that they are slow to mature haven't actually owned one or don't put the work in. My dogs have been doing everything I need them to by 18 months.

this x was very common in the 60s and early 70s due to there size dogs were average 27" to 28" and sometimes 30"

bitches from 25" to 27" and more often than not, they were slow to mature, ie, had difficulty picking there quarry up, turning, well, some were way out, then you had one in a few that was a masterpiece, catching, retrieving, I had a couple in the past, that was very good, especially for Hare, and deer, they were made for that job, 3/4 grey 1/4/deerhound most rough coated, great temperament, easy to do and they were mad for work, would I have one again?? I dont think so, they are large and Muckle, every one to his own choice, cross them into a 3/4 grey collie and believe it or not, they made good workers for edible,

My dog is slow to mature. I really think it depends how much deerhound is in the dog. Deerhounds and first crosses, from what I can gather, mature faster than second crosses, or mixes with a good dose of deerhound in them.

My dog has deerhound (pronounced occipital bump/shaggy coat - top part anyway/twenty seven and a half" tts/GH, and something else (probably terrier) in him. His still very puppyish, still growing - his snout is anyway. He's settling, but still very excitable, and an adolescent rather than full-grown. Still growing is a fairly good sign (to me anyway) that the dog is not mature.

He's two and a half.

We met a ten-month old untrained rescue lurcher (not DH X) last night - been with his new owner less than a week - good as gold.

I know the new owner well and have no reason to believe he was lying when he told me the dog had been kept in a small kennel, unexercised and unworked.

DazAllison1, my dog was evidently good and well-behaved up to 6 months old, according to the old owner. This may have been right. Taz went through increasingly bad behaviour as he grew and is only coming out of it now. Watch for that and good luck with your dog.

2 and half and still growing, did Jackie Drayford say that in a book aswell?

You chat some shit you do mind !!

• Like 1

this x was very common in the 60s and early 70s due to there size dogs were average 27" to 28" and sometimes 30"

bitches from 25" to 27" and more often than not, they were slow to mature, ie, had difficulty picking there quarry up, turning, well, some were way out, then you had one in a few that was a masterpiece, catching, retrieving, I had a couple in the past, that was very good, especially for Hare, and deer, they were made for that job, 3/4 grey 1/4/deerhound most rough coated, great temperament, easy to do and they were mad for work, would I have one again?? I dont think so, they are large and Muckle, every one to his own choice, cross them into a 3/4 grey collie and believe it or not, they made good workers for edible,

lol...mate you'll probably need to explain to our non scottish friends what 'muckle' is ..........jings crivens we dinna want to scunner them lol

He's two and a half.

2 and half and still growing, did Jackie Drayford say that in a book aswell?

You chat some shit you do mind !!

Well Johnny, after carefully considering your above assertion for 5 seconds, I feel I have to agree..... :laugh::laugh::laugh:

So your saying that the more deerhound in the mix the quicker they mature? So maybe it's not deerhounds that are slow to mature it's the other breeds.

So your saying that the more deerhound in the mix the quicker they mature? So maybe it's not deerhounds that are slow to mature it's the other breeds.

What I'm saying is that I believe that it is the mix, but that the mix requires a predominence of DH, if that makes sense.

From what I've read a second X can live to 16 at least, so maybe that has something to do with it as well - who knows.

And the individual dog has some bearing on this too of course. If every dog was the same this forum would be a very boring place.

A lurcher with no deerhound will mature fairly quickly, in my experience. I'm thinking of the one I saw Thursday night (young, but more mature than my dog), and various dogs I've been out ferreting with, beddy X's, and saluki X's.

All of my previous dogs, from pure-bred staffies to collie X's, have matured way more quickly than my current dog. They've all been smaller too of course.

I also know of one other big breed which don't mature for ages - Airdales. This is according to a gundog trainer I fish with who trained his airdale up to a high standard.

My first X was 32 TTS, lived until he was 13 and was killing foxes in big numbers by the time he was 15 months. My current dog, 3/8 x 5/8 has never really been overly puppyish, but hasn't say in a kennel until he was 7 or 8 months old, maybe getting the dog out from a young age is the secret.