Robust Or Speed!

Hello everyone.whats peoples opinions on lurchers with robust n durability n brains.or a lurcher thats just pure speed and cant turn.what do you like in a dog. I like to see a fast dog behind its quarry .but you also need a bit brain when quarry turns. What x will have it all.!

Hello everyone.whats peoples opinions on lurchers with robust n durability n brains.or a lurcher thats just pure speed and cant turn.what do you like in a dog. I like to see a fast dog behind its quarry .but you also need a bit brain when quarry turns. What x will have it all.!

Robustness, durability and brains every time - ha ha ha I would say that 'cause mine all slow as feck...collie xs do it for me and always have done... :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

• Like 1

nothing wrong with a fast dog as long as it knows how to use the gears,drop down a gear once its behind stuff then go again to pick it up,if the aint got that extra gear they struggle in my opinion.speed a must where i run.

Had a saluki, deerhound, greyhound that was a feckin flyer but would run through your house to get to quarry it was his undoing in the end ,,, seen him fly off cliffs,, take out complete brambles and keep on going he would out strip both my racing greyhounds and whippets just always seemed to have that extra gear unfortunately chasing down a roe which hit cover , he hit a tree flat out and it was all over!! I heard the impact from over 500 yds away and he was lying stone dead with a broken neck and two broken front legs when i got there . the farmer was a gem that day and allowed me to bury him on the next field, that was over 15 yrs ago just got my first lurcher since 2 yrs ago how the game has changed still adjusting now.

a fast dog that runs slow i like :yes: if it as not got that last gear to push on its not a catch dog :thumbs:

That's how I would describe my bitch. A fast dog that runs slow. I've always seen it as a fault but since getting my Beddy X I've realised it's not. He hasn't learnt to use his speed yet and is flat out at everything. He will either learn to control it as he sees more game next season or it will eventually kill him. A dog can only run around in the dark at 40mph + for so long before something gets in the way!

I want it all ,robust, brains, strong and enough speed :-) without enough speed they will always be left wanting. And without strength and robustness and brains they won't last.

As with all things Lurcher a good balance is what you want to be lucky enough to achieve. There's a lot of luck involved.

Edited by Sirius
  • Like 4