Wcs Tube Trap

Not doubting you at all Heritage but how could a Duke trap fail to meet the required standard and yet the little Sawyer Vermin Trap, for example, still holds its place on the STAO, that even when new back in the 60's in its own trials failed to kill as expected and yet passed ... ??

OTC

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A dead section? You wish... No, unfortunately this section is not dead, unlike a certain facebook page that springs to mind, Anyhow, there is constructive debate and opinion here, there is also driv

Fenns are an exellent trap, i am not saying they are not. I do have some issues with bodygripper sytle traps (this is a personal preference i suppose), but certainly would not suggest they are taken a

Don't get me wrong, great trap, but for big squirrels they could be better. This is also why I don't tend to use mk4 fenns for squizzers - had one too many perfect catch with the animal very much aliv

I think it depends partly on what system of testing was used.

From memory, the Duke was going to be the first to go through the new testing protocols, so if it has failed, there is no hope for anything except the Kania and the tube trap.

The Duke I handled was very similar to the BMI. I can't see why it would fail.

This is all part of the same problem. We need a level playing field for testing, and if they really want to do something to improve the humaneness of spring traps then they need to remove that 'clone' clause from the orders. How anyone could consider some of the crud I've seen to be on a par with the real thing is beyond me.

Theres several makes of bodygrips, why didn't they test a selection of them? I hear Duke do have a bad reputation in the USA in the larger sizes, but we're talking small traps for small mammals, I can't see how they would fail. I've handled Duke's as well as other makes, including Bellisle, and they all seem the same to me in the smaller sizes....can anyone shed some light??

Theres stopping junk getting into the market, and wanting a good humane trap...... Then theres preventing near identical traps with equal killing power to already passed trap's from being passed at all...

These supposed new approval requirements are getting silly and someone somewhere is pushing them, not for the good of trapping, for the good of themselves..sad state of affairs.

From what I've been told the 116 originally failed to meet all the required standards but with a huge amount of effort from robin, Phil & others the trap was eventually passed .The 116 as we now know it is not in its original guise and is tailored specifically for the uk market . I'm sure there will be someone on here who could clarify this ......

Several months ago I was informed that two boxes of dukes were submitted for testing, they were submitted by someone who uses this forum with the intention of becoming the sole uk distributor.The traps were tested using the new protocols and failed., there were several points of concern including build quality & spring strength....with a bit of digging this could also be clarified....

Build quality and consistency I can understand, the Duke is a cheaper trap, but its killing capability should match that of allready passed BG's I would have thought - afterall, they are killing traps that target the brain and spine, rather than heart and lungs, and therefore death is quick

Can anyone shed any more light on the testing process?

OTC

I do have a question.......if a trap can legally be reproduced using the "clone" clause what's stopping the original inventor or manufacturer putting a stop to it, surely they would be a patent which would prevent anyone copying there product......?

I do have a question.......if a trap can legally be reproduced using the "clone" clause what's stopping the original inventor or manufacturer putting a stop to it, surely they would be a patent which would prevent anyone copying there product......?

Patents only last for a finite time, and then, if they are not renewed, then they can be copied freely

OTC

A lot use dukes ordered directly from the states as they work out much cheaper but my own interpretation of the stao leads me to believe there use would be illegal ...., they may well,look & perform the same but there not a named trap...., I may be proven to be wrong on this one though......

have the trap got to be a named approved trap heritage,if so would a clone also need to share the same name as the approved one ??? the dukes are fantastic traps ,,some say they ain't as good as the bmi and maybe so,,but in spring strength i would say more power than the bmi....its a clone.. the spring ,frame are a clone ,,only difference is the trip wires dog etc,but under the trap approval bollocks they don't apply... 110 bmi here cost as much as £14.. a 110 duke as little as £3... even when you take the tax added post costs from the us the trap still 50%or less than here... there cries then from some saying the duke ain't approved but i myself think that they way to safeguard they own interests in the sales of bmi traps......; the clone debate we talked about on here many times and there always be retailers of the bmi referring to the approved trap code in they favour ,,but like it or not ,the duke is a clone and a clone at a fraction of the cost of the bmi.

The BMI 110 is legal upto rat/stoat/squirrel size

The 116 is a modified 110 with a larger spring, I think its off the 160 trap, I might be wrong off the top of my head, I can remember Robin telling me it was needed for approval, for rabbit and mink after testing as the inital 110 failed requirements also for these..