What Exscuse?

I've had 11 running dogs in the past 35 years and more often than not have had two at a time at varying ages...once they are here, (barring fatalities which I have had) they are here for good - never had something I couldn't work with...some were f*****g fantastic dogs, some were good honest curs and one or two made serviceable lurchers - all have put food on the table and all have provided me with hours of dodgy and honest adventure, mischief, fun, highs and lows, heartache and lifelong memories... :thumbs: And apart from a wee yapping beddy x whipp x collie x grey bitch I had when I was young I have never had to rehome anything - ever... :yes:

I've learned to live with their faults and foibles and have embraced their strengths and weaknesses as they have with me...I've tried to instill the same ethos into my lad...hopefully he'll make a serviceable dogman one day... :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Too easy an option to 'get shot' at the first hurdle...get another, then another...and so on...I know some who'll go through 3-4 in a season declaring that they are all shit - personally, I'm not buying that...not saying there are no useless/shit dogs out there but if you consistently have shit dogs in your yard and go through 4,5,6,7,8 every season...the fault is clearly with the human...

Just my opinion as I see it...

Up to now it's been fun...long may it all continue... :thumbs: atb Colin.

good post,but the last line sticks out to me as that is why

i do it for fun i enjoy it. it ain't a contest i may or may not

have good dogs but if i'm out enjoyin myself it's all good

& while like anyone else i like to get a few it ain't a

necessity & it's a good job round here lol but that don't

make the dogs any better or worse than anyone else's

& as you say long may it continue

I'm 49 in July Pritch and if the next 20 years goes past as quick as the last 20 I'll be knocking 70 before I know it...scary thought...so I'm just going to enjoy it all for what it is and my dogs for what they are...anything else is a bonus - I get huge amounts of pleasure from watching my lad - he's 15 - with the dogs and to be honest I can get emotional at times when I see him setting off with the dogs, ferreting, snaring, making nets, mooching about...I watched him walking up the road towards the house one day a wee while back just at the darkening with three rabbits and the collie x and it was like watching myself half a lifetime ago - lump in the throat stuff - so ahm just gonna enjoy it all when I still can...and hope he can enjoy it for a lot longer when I'm gone... :thumbs:

Just as we are born knowing only life,it is only our knowledge and wisdom that separate us,with a loyal dog and a lazy gamekeeper we'll keep the pot boiling,keep at it young grasshopper,and that 6th sense will soon come to you :thumbs::laugh:

And if you can remember all of the aaaahhhh grasshopper stuff you're as old as I am... :laugh::laugh::laugh:

We bit of david carradine in the two of you lol

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've had 11 running dogs in the past 35 years and more often than not have had two at a time at varying ages...once they are here, (barring fatalities which I have had) they are here for good - never

I'm 48 in July Pritch and if the next 20 years goes past as quick as the last 20 I'll be knocking 70 before I know it...scary thought...so I'm just going to enjoy it all for what it is and my dogs for

Im afraid just because the mother and father work it doesn't guarantee the failure of the offspring is automatically down to poor entering.   Why come on here slagging 20 year old "kids" who have ha

I've had 11 running dogs in the past 35 years and more often than not have had two at a time at varying ages...once they are here, (barring fatalities which I have had) they are here for good - never had something I couldn't work with...some were f*****g fantastic dogs, some were good honest curs and one or two made serviceable lurchers - all have put food on the table and all have provided me with hours of dodgy and honest adventure, mischief, fun, highs and lows, heartache and lifelong memories... :thumbs: And apart from a wee yapping beddy x whipp x collie x grey bitch I had when I was young I have never had to rehome anything - ever... :yes:

I've learned to live with their faults and foibles and have embraced their strengths and weaknesses as they have with me...I've tried to instill the same ethos into my lad...hopefully he'll make a serviceable dogman one day... :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Too easy an option to 'get shot' at the first hurdle...get another, then another...and so on...I know some who'll go through 3-4 in a season declaring that they are all shit - personally, I'm not buying that...not saying there are no useless/shit dogs out there but if you consistently have shit dogs in your yard and go through 4,5,6,7,8 every season...the fault is clearly with the human...

I'm 49 in July Pritch and if the next 20 years goes past as quick as the last 20 I'll be knocking 70 before I know it...scary thought...so I'm just going to enjoy it all for what it is and my dogs for what they are...anything else is a bonus - I get huge amounts of pleasure from watching my lad - he's 15 - with the dogs and to be honest I can get emotional at times when I see him setting off with the dogs, ferreting, snaring, making nets, mooching about...I watched him walking up the road towards the house one day a wee while back just at the darkening with three rabbits and the collie x and it was like watching myself half a lifetime ago - lump in the throat stuff - so ahm just gonna enjoy it all when I still can...and hope he can enjoy it for a lot longer when I'm gone... :thumbs:

And there's people who'd love nothing more than young lads to never have the chance to follow in there fathers foot steps.

Banning our way of life there morally no better than the white settler killing 70,000000 buffalo in 1873-74 because the red Indians way of life wasn't civilised so they ended it.

Well some of us don't want our children growing up civilised in that case!

Like they say with the obesity epidemic kids are going to die before their parents,everything has to be so hidden these days in the so called name of civlisation,cant even have a pig hanging up in a butchers shop window,It has taken such high profile people as jamie oliver,H F Whittingstall,and a good few others to try to get some sense of reality,like the old saying the best things in life are free,fresh air,beautiful scenery,working dogs and wildlife it's free and healthy,Hard to believe the hunting act has been in force for 8 years now,personally I would'nt have minded,much as I love coursing old lepus,I would have gladly made pets of my dogs,and become nothing more than an observer of wildlife if there had been a good reason to do so,But the misconception that they we're getting back at the conservatives is a total joke,as the majority of fieldsport supporters are from towns and cities,and would probably prefer a labour government in general,and just keep politics out of countrysports

I'm 48 in July Pritch and if the next 20 years goes past as quick as the last 20 I'll be knocking 70 before I know it...scary thought...so I'm just going to enjoy it all for what it is and my dogs for what they are...anything else is a bonus - I get huge amounts of pleasure from watching my lad - he's 15 - with the dogs and to be honest I can get emotional at times when I see him setting off with the dogs, ferreting, snaring, making nets, mooching about...I watched him walking up the road towards the house one day a wee while back just at the darkening with three rabbits and the collie x and it was like watching myself half a lifetime ago - lump in the throat stuff - so ahm just gonna enjoy it all when I still can...and hope he can enjoy it for a lot longer when I'm gone... :thumbs:

nowt wrong wi a bit of emotion mate. never had kids or been married

but i think i would of loved to have had a young un to take out with

the dogs & stinkers. it's summet you don't see much of nowadays used

to always bump into kids with air rifles or the ferrets can't remember the

last time it happened must be 10 year or so,sad times for the sport who

will show the generation after them

Me im 23 me im no lier and i aint guna lie im a young lad been round dogs a while but dont go sproutin my mouth off sayin been doin this and that sunce was in nappies only had 2 dogs and thts cos my 1st went blind in his 3rd season so just stuck with lads i go with. helped with ther dogs till i got new pup im no expert aneither i come on hear really to look and like to listen to the older and more wiser and experienced lads hopefully like yourself pick up new ideas and diffrent ways about things with my dog soory dont want to start no massive bitchin argue ment i was been genuine that this is a good thread mate

if i were you i wouldnt of bothered coming on this site. full of tossers whos dogs are always better, and people who know better than you. iv knocked alot of dog groups on the head. im trying to find out how to disable my account on here. had a f**k full with knob heads saying they do this and that, and then tell me to get out in field with my dog etc, how the f**k do they know i dont? lol idiots like i said. good luck with it mate, im off.

You don't need to Rob - just don't log in anymore, Simples :thumbs:

• Like 1

Just as we are born knowing only life,it is only our knowledge and wisdom that separate us,with a loyal dog and a lazy gamekeeper we'll keep the pot boiling,keep at it young grasshopper,and that 6th sense will soon come to you :thumbs::laugh:

And if you can remember all of the aaaahhhh grasshopper stuff you're as old as I am... :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Not quite there yet BS i'm only 35 years young,and have'nt got a young grasshopper of my own just yet but hopefully one day,goodnight master :laugh::laugh::laugh:

We bit of david carradine in the two of you lol

As long as it is'nt the bit that makes us want to hang ourselves in the wardrobe of a thai hotel,R.I.P. D C

It ant about the kill its about the chase as long as the dog has a good run that's good enough for me there's no point in bragging because one day you might bump in to some one that you know and you your self will prove your self wrong and end up with egg on your face

• Like 1

Fantastic post Colin, i've always said that if you work with or hunt with dogs and stop caring, its time to quit and stack baked beans at Tescos. :thumbs:

It ant about the kill its about the chase as long as the dog has a good run that's good enough for me there's no point in bragging because one day you might bump in to some one that you know and you your self will prove your self wrong and end up with egg on your face

Good sportsmanlike point of view Fretwell 59,you're obviously not from the 3/3 school of thought,had a run this afternoon with my 7 year old dog,went out of sight for well over 5 minutes,could tell he'd had a good run when he came back,god knows how many times that one had escaped the lampers,good breeding stock and all the best to it ,and the other one that legged it off the field,they look strong considering the arable crop has totally failed in this area

Every body won't 100%from there dogs but every body's is different I don't expect. To get a rabbit every time I go out but some time we have a good bag other times can go weeks with out even a run it don't bother me as long as the dogs a fit and well and they have had fun that won't counts because unlike us they just carnt go for a walk when they choose its up to us so the time they have out they should enjoy and not live in fear of missing a rabbit because they will get a beating ir been got rid of if they enjoy it they will work more and better than ant other dog going I think and if a rabbits gets away its there for next time

>It ant about the kill its about the chase as long as the dog has a good run that's good enough for me there's no point in bragging because one day you might bump in to some one that you know and you your self will prove your self wrong and end up with egg on your face

Good sportsmanlike point of view Fretwell 59,you're obviously not from the 3/3 school of thought,had a run this afternoon with my 7 year old dog,went out of sight for well over 5 minutes,could tell he'd had a good run when he came back,god knows how many times that one had escaped the lampers,good breeding stock and all the best to it ,and the other one that legged it off the field,they look strong considering the arable crop has totally failed in this area

same here the rape has failed to germinate despite being replanted. yet the hares look very well, they have faired far better than the rabbits that have all but disapeared due to the monsoons.

Keeping a pup back out of a Litter i've just Bred.Both parents Grafters.If the pup doesn't come up to scratch its not the pup who failed but ME.

How can you say that, have you a crystal ball ?

So all you have to do is breed 2 "grafters" and unless your a really bad dog man they'll make the grade?

Sadly it don't work like that every time in life.

Keeping a pup back out of a Litter i've just Bred.Both parents Grafters.If the pup doesn't come up to scratch its not the pup who failed but ME.

How can you say that, have you a crystal ball ?

So all you have to do is breed 2 "grafters" and unless your a really bad dog man they'll make the grade?

Sadly it don't work like that every time in life.

Yes you are correct in what you are saying. My pup should make the Grade as she is out of good working stock.However any failings she may have will be down to me and me alone.I strive to train every pup i have to be better than the last one. Her mother was a Joy to train.Hopefully this young bitch will be just as easy.Famous last words. :yes: