Stocky Bashing!!!!!!

In the reservoirs that i use i fish solely for trout either rainbows or brownies, spinning, fly and the odd time with worms. I mainly fish reservoirs that are maintained by the government. The way it works over here is once a lake has been stocked literally within hours the word is out and it's like bangor promenade on a summers sunday afternoon. As the saying goes the fisheries put them in and the fishermen take them out. For me stocky bashing was great fun when i first started fishing as it gives you a confidence boost but there's nothing like the buzz when you've landed a well conditioned wintered trout that has been in the lake for a long time. It's a conversation that comes up with me and my mates from time to time and even those who are critical of stocky bashing are known to hit the reservoirs when they hear of one that has been stocked.

ATB

Daz

• Like 2

its good to catch fish, but imo you can never beat the satisfaction of stalking and catching decent fish and even better a wild one. Just my take on it, but many a dull day has been saved by going home with a few newly stocked fish in the game bag. :yes:

Tight lines Sirius

• Like 2

I think what ever form of fishing your into as you progress as an angler you make it harder for yourself, we all lovely catching fish but when they commit suicide it gets a boring... This goes for trout, carp, mackerel whatever really...

After 30 years of fishing I've now got a 7 year old lad who wants to catch fish so it's back to square 1 ( nearly), we used to bash the little perch on the canal as kids, it didn't seem to matter what size hook or line just dangle a worm infont of them and they'd give there selves up....great times

Edited by NEWKID
  • Like 5

stocky bashing can be great sport. . on the right day it can be a trout a cast bit like mackeral fishing.. ..

i had 100s of flys but never seemed to use more that 10 . buzzers.. damsels .. montana's you wont got far wrong.

• Like 1

I think what ever form of fishing your into as you progress as an angler you make it harder for yourself, we all lovely catching fish but when they commit suicide it gets a boring... This goes for trout, carp, mackerel whatever really...

After 30 years of fishing I've now got a 7 year old lad who wants to catch fish so it's back to square 1 ( nearly), we used to bash the little perch on the canal as kids, it didn't seem to matter what size hook or line just dangle a worm infont of them and they'd give there selves up....great times

I agree I have taken a few youngsters fishing, and will be taking my oldest son enough too. I just took them to a nice local lake with plenty of small coarse fish, you could catch with no bait on the hook! Its all about building confidence with results hey :thumbs:

• Like 4

I agree I have taken a few youngsters fishing, and will be taking my oldest son enough too. I just took them to a nice local lake with plenty of small coarse fish, you could catch with no bait on the hook! Its all about building confidence with results hey :thumbs:

Wish that was the case up here. Our 2 reservoirs are the only places in town for coarse fishing and as such get hammered. I've caught one Roach in about 10 fishing trips....tried all sorts, given up now and going back to sea fishing :laugh:

Nowt wrong with a bit of stockie bashing,used to go on Pennine quite a lot ,saw Andrew Zordarsie (?) who writes for Trout Fisherman on there one day,must have caught at least 50,catching at 18-20ft under a sight indicator :icon_eek: .......nobody else was catching :blink: very skilful angler....

I dont mind a bit of stockie bashing. You can test out you newly tied home made fly patterns to see if they work.if they do happy days. Then if you go somewhere and everyone is struggling to catch put one of you own fly's on. That something different will give you an advantage when the fish are bored of all the common patterns.

• Like 1