as long as food there it wont go, so leave the feeder down till dusk, then put the feeders away.With chicks locked up ,put a fenn trap down, put some raw mince chicken in middle of trap,spread on fine.Because if left in lump form these buggers can pull bait off. Got mine in couple days with fenn trap, but before tried like you, nothing for 4 months :censored: .Just dont forget to pick it up when you loose chicks out in morning.

This was big bugger ,look how big it is to the trap, and trap was bigger my hand, and hands aint that small .

P1010066-3_zps662c3110.jpg

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s137/bird052_2007/P1010065-3_zpsaec4c93e.jpg

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Great fun Snaring Rats.  

a rat would quite easily sit on top of feeder and eat the food, a tree branch and chain and going to stop it

Would a trap be better ?   If ratty has a well established run "outside" your chuck pen then yes, sink a fenn with a bit of mesh over or you may find a simple breakback set on the run will work just

Posted Images

I'm struggling to get rid of a rat in the garden. I have tried traps, and a bait box, but it is still here. I have read through the FAQ's and tried a variety of different traps, and have removed all bar the one food source from anywhere near. I keep chickens, and the rat is taking food from the feeders. I have moved them, but he is following. There are a couple of out buildings, but no evidence of anything in them, so I assume he is coming in from the woods that surround the garden.

If the rat keeps taking food out of the poultry feeder could you put rat posion into the feeder instead of chicken food? (Obviously you would need to confine your animals in such a way they could not get to the posioned feeder, clean the feeder throughly before refilling with chicken food and so on)

I am also curious to know how you sure there is only one rat.

I have sorted a fenn trap that I put out each night, once the chooks are shut up and the feeder is in the garage out of the way. Hopefully it will do the trick.

Plank - although this is a little embarrassing to admit, I have only seen the one rat in the garden for the last 3 weeks - before that, never seen one, and I have been here 2 years ( with chickens ). Coming back in from sorting the horses one morning, I saw the rat run from the feeder into a small hedge. I happened to have a can of purple terramycin spray in my pocket, as I was coming back from the horses, and one had an over-reach wound I was treating. I managed to spray the rat with the spray, so it has a large blue splodge of fur on it's back.

I have sorted a fenn trap that I put out each night, once the chooks are shut up and the feeder is in the garage out of the way. Hopefully it will do the trick.

Plank - although this is a little embarrassing to admit, I have only seen the one rat in the garden for the last 3 weeks - before that, never seen one, and I have been here 2 years ( with chickens ). Coming back in from sorting the horses one morning, I saw the rat run from the feeder into a small hedge. I happened to have a can of purple terramycin spray in my pocket, as I was coming back from the horses, and one had an over-reach wound I was treating. I managed to spray the rat with the spray, so it has a large blue splodge of fur on it's back.

Blue was ....soooo last year.

Blue was ....soooo last year.

I wasn't so worried about his fashion sense !

In fact the air was more blue than the rat, when I saw it. I have no idea what I thought spraying it was going to achieve - but it made me feel a little better about the whole situation.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, just been reading the posts and I hope you've solved your rat problem but if you haven't put lots of bait boxes around your garden in places where your birds can't get at them and check them once a week for 3 weeks or untill the problem has gone and then reduce the bait boxes but leave some near the food source and check once every 6/8 weeks.

This is what I've done in my garden because I keep chickens and I have a naubour feeds hand fulls of lose seed and nuts to the birds and squirrels and I had a bad problem but its kept under control now. Hope this helps

Keeping bait down permanently is no longer a legal option.

All bait labels are now stating that 35 days should be the limit, and at the end of the treatment all bait must be removed.

The reason for this is that if you leave the bait down all the time, you will be killing lots of woodmice etc, which are then eaten by raptors. There is an increasing level of anti-coagulant residues being found in certain species of raptor, and this it thought to be the cause.

Treat the symptoms of the infestation, and if necessary, keep some traps permanently set to deal with any passing rats before they become established.