Anyone Run/ran Reverse 3/4 Collie X Greyhound

I really like that bitch Trenchfoot...just a good owld 'mooching' type of cur...looks real hardy and sure to have fire in her belly with the terrier mix...cracking jukel..Atb Andy

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My mutt is all over this forum lol..not quite a reverse 3/4 but his dam was a full Collie and his sire was just a Lurcher who's father itself was a Lurcher x Collie...this dog has its purposes,very go

Cheers fella...aye he's put a few odds and sods to bed these past few seasons...he will always keep you well fed lol...not everyone's cup of tea for sure but he's my second one of this type and the ot

Not a bother Chalkie...he's done and dusted for the season just now so touch wood he will be grand,it's always a relief to make it to the end of a season with your mutt still in one piece lol..I alway

I really like that bitch Trenchfoot...just a good owld 'mooching' type of cur...looks real hardy and sure to have fire in her belly with the terrier mix...cracking jukel..Atb Andy

Cheers Andy,

Bit on the small size for beasties, but you try telling her that!

• Like 1

Cheers Andy,

Bit on the small size for beasties, but you try telling her that!

God loves a trier mate :-)

When I had mine (about 20 odd years ago) I had a letter from Hancock telling me that one from a later litter was used as a sheepdog and had won a trial.

Not certain but it think it was based in Exmoor and was Rufus x Linnet as opposed to Richard x Linnet so was more border than beardie.

Another great thread on the collie cross (cur) lads

Question for u when putting a full collie to your lurchers what sort of collie do u look for what qualitys do u want the collies to have

Cheers

The one my dog Don is out of Ryan is based in Ireland,my mate who lives over there "loaned" the bitch to breed off,but he had to hand over €2000 which was returned if the bitch went back all fit and well as she was when he got her,the farmer wanted her to have a litter for some reason or other which I'm not in the know of? She was used mainly for driving cattle and was a "biter" of them if they wouldn't or didn't obey her,infact she was a bit of a fecker all round as my mate had another Collie at the same time also loaned awaiting either to come in season and the dam of Don killed the other in a kennel disagreement so my mate had to build the farmer a new barn at no cost for the bitch! My mate travelled from Ireland with the bitch and had her mated by my Lurcher here in Cumbria..when the pups were just seven weeks old the bitch entered and won a sheepdog trial even though it wasn't her thing,it was where my mate met up with the farmer to give him the bitch back and get his dollar back lol and he had entered her just for a day out really,she went back the following year and won it again in County Wicklow...sheep weren't her thing,she was and still is working cattle in the Wicklow Mountains..only Don and his sister came this side of the water via a Greyhound Courier...the remainder are in Ireland all with my mate and his family,NO ONE else has one although I have heard of people selling pups saying that they are out of Dons brother lol in the Manchester area and a guy at a show in Ireland said that he had Dons litter brother...not a fecking chance lol..Atb Andy

• Like 2

Personally I'd choose one that was a good steady alround farm collie. Not flighty, oversensitive. If it's a first cross then my preference is for a good chunky type, whereas if it's to add to a line bred collie/greyhound line dog then something a little racier/ leggier. There are some folk who work collies as alround dogs that can do much of the work of a mooching lurcher. Find a good one of them and you are onto a good start. The one I have is too sensitive for me to want to breed from again. Pups from his only litter turned out reasonably good dogs but still have his oversensitive nature. That's why his nuts went in the bin. Stops me getting mithered for him covering other bitches

Not everyone shares my opinion though

• Like 2

tis a hard question that as as collies esthetically throw such a variation build &

height wise even litter mates differ & this is also the case in lurchers with a good

dose of collie. temperament wise i think you want a type that shows determination

to see a job through, andy's description a dog that works cattle would seem apt

as i would imagine they would be a handful especially when they have calves in tow

i know everyone says you want a leggy well boned type & ideally yes you would

but unless it's parents & litter mates have all thrown similar your probably not going

to get a even litter

• Like 1

Aye Fuji - your pics are phenomenal and that collie potlicker looks like a loyal and hardworking companion.Read your other blog on the old farmer who gave you grief about the dogs but yes they are understandably a bit on edge wi lambs all over the shop just now.I remember one tweed clad git telling me to heel my dog in as it would scare his grouse and might "attack some sheep" into the bargain,Anyway I gave one whistle from about 300 yds away and my 2 "wild lurchers" just about broke their necks turning to command in full flight and coming back to heel.Oh yes and his black lab rampaged for ages totally ignoring his increasiing shouts and screams....... joy.

All the best,

Gairdner

• Like 1

It's pleasing to read that by and large, when discussing the merits of a suitable pastoral dog, the temperament and working style are rated more highly than the build. Usually, whenever you read an article about which collie to use, you'd think it was only the height that was important.

• Like 2

It's pleasing to read that by and large, when discussing the merits of a suitable pastoral dog, the temperament and working style are rated more highly than the build. Usually, whenever you read an article about which collie to use, you'd think it was only the height that was important.

As a partner for work, I would always choose a level headed plain Jane over a pycho leggy blonde any day

But them leggy blondes do impress on one off dark nights

• Like 1