Larson Trap Advice

This time of years you may find it quite difficult to keep a call bird alive for more than a few day's, in some case's less, depending on the weather.

They need to be kept dry, if they get wet hypothermia will kill them in just a few hours and even quicker during the cold night's.

I managed to keep a call bird for the whole duration of last summer and when I was happy with the job he had done, I let him go. He still visitst my garden even this morning but he wont go in the trap. Magpies like crows are very intelligent and can sence danger as well as work it out.!!

In the bird world magpies are very fierce and will attack all birds apart from large Hawkes. The reason they enter the trap is to attack a rival bird that has seemingley enterd their territory.

Marty

Don't have many magpies in this area but plenty crows. Caught many in the Larsen but I never kept the call bird more than a week. Oh and I never let the egg/ chick eating swine go either... Lol
:laugh::laugh: :laugh: Id kind of got attached to him after haveing him so long. He was an excellent call bird, and if i put another magpie in with it, it was dead in hour's.

I just want him back in my trap and il be happy :laugh:

Marty.

Do you have multiple birds in the same section mate.... If so, why?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fair comment, I get a tad edgey when folk ask me some question's, like i hope these birds where dipatched according to the General Licence. I mean..come on what kind of a question is that.?  Im a 43

I have been bitten of far worse than a maggie Marty .. ..i was just messing about i have been had of bird's of prey dog's and ferret's..but the worst i can remember was a cockatiel....

Somebody says a mirror works

What food you using.? I use cheap dry cat food, they love it. Dont do the egg thing you'll get nowhere, or the dead rabbit on top.

Feed them on the top of the trap till there use to landing and feeding with confidence. Then tie a food bowl leavel with the pirch inside the trap, no need to put food on top once you put it in the trap as you want them to go inside to feed. Look at it this way.. Your trap is basiclly a feeding station for magpies just be patiant and it will all come together.

If I knew how Id put a film clip on here to show you just how easy it is.

.108.jpg

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

ATB

Marty :thumbs:

I hope these birds were dispatched according to the general licence!

What food you using.? I use cheap dry cat food, they love it. Dont do the egg thing you'll get nowhere, or the dead rabbit on top.

Feed them on the top of the trap till there use to landing and feeding with confidence. Then tie a food bowl leavel with the pirch inside the trap, no need to put food on top once you put it in the trap as you want them to go inside to feed. Look at it this way.. Your trap is basiclly a feeding station for magpies just be patiant and it will all come together.

If I knew how Id put a film clip on here to show you just how easy it is.

.108.jpg

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

ATB

Marty :thumbs:

I hope these birds were dispatched according to the general licence!

My prefered method in built up areas is my remmy 700 22.250 pushing a 50 g vmax.......find this dispatch is by far the most humane lol

My preferred method is enter hand into trap, catch bird in quick time as not to prolong any pain or needless suffering, take bird in right hand clasping wings securely to body and WHALLOP right aff the side of the cage.

Fook grabbing them Lab they bite like feck.. :laugh: ..your much better standing back about 6yard with the 12 gauge equiped with 40grm mini mag 4's..don't stand any further away though as the spread could kill the call bird..

The answer to your question is yes.

A Brief Guide to Larsen Trap Legislation

In 1996 following concerns that Larsen traps where being used to catch protected birds the General Licence for Larsen traps was tightened. As a result the license allows the trap to be used for the control of: Crows, Magpies, Rooks, Jackdaws and Jays. Wood pigeons and Sparrows were removed from the legal decoy list. Further amendments were added on the 1st January 2000. There follows a general outline of the main points affecting operation in the field of corvid control.

All Larsen trapping operations must be carried out for a purpose. Simply hating Crows for example is not a valid reason.

The welfare requirements of the decoy must be taken into account (see report: BASC member guilty). Decoy birds must be provided with food, water, shelter and a perch. As with all traps the Larsen must be checked at least once a day. The check time is generally carried out between the hours of one hour before sunrise and one hour after sunset.

The Larsen trap is governed by a general licence under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981.

Captured birds provided they fall within the legal quarry list may be dispatched by an approved method.

Unbelievably there is no set size to decoy cages. Some manufacturers, in an effort to increase profit by saving on materials, are supplying Larsen traps with decoy compartments less than 18 inches cubed! Please keep an look out for any this small and notify us of their exact location.

When not in use Larsen traps MUST be rendered incapable of catching, i.e. no bird can push the trap door open and become caught as a result. Top opening traps can be turned upside down or have the door springs unhooked.

From the 1st January 2008 Natural England general licences replaced those previously issued by Defra (All in pdf format).

WML-GL04: Licence to kill or take certain birds to prevent serious damage or disease

WML-GL05: Licence to kill or take certain birds to preserve public health or public safety

WML-GL06: To kill or take certain birds to conserve flora and fauna (including wild birds)

Edited by Probuk

This time of years you may find it quite difficult to keep a call bird alive for more than a few day's, in some case's less, depending on the weather.

They need to be kept dry, if they get wet hypothermia will kill them in just a few hours and even quicker during the cold night's.

I managed to keep a call bird for the whole duration of last summer and when I was happy with the job he had done, I let him go. He still visitst my garden even this morning but he wont go in the trap. Magpies like crows are very intelligent and can sence danger as well as work it out.!!

In the bird world magpies are very fierce and will attack all birds apart from large Hawkes. The reason they enter the trap is to attack a rival bird that has seemingley enterd their territory.

Marty

Don't have many magpies in this area but plenty crows. Caught many in the Larsen but I never kept the call bird more than a week. Oh and I never let the egg/ chick eating swine go either... Lol

:laugh::laugh: :laugh: Id kind of got attached to him after haveing him so long. He was an excellent call bird, and if i put another magpie in with it, it was dead in hour's.

Marty.

Why ask such a question.?

The law states..you can only have one call bird at a time in any one trap. My traps come in two sections as they split. I dont cull the birds where anyone may see me, so i put them in one of my sections and take them somewhere private to dispatch them.

Edited by Probuk

Marty

Marty.

The law states..you can only have one call bird at a time in any one trap. My traps come in two sections as they split. I dont cull the birds where anyone may see me, so i put them in one of my sections and take them somewhere private to dispatch them.

I asked because i couldn't work out what you were on about. I never asked to be an arse, i actually didnt know about the laws....or more so i couldn't give a toot about them to be honest. Some daft twat who dons a pair of wellies twice a year making up rules/laws about the countryside and how we should live in it boils my piss when they live in a 5 bedroom house in the town!!

All i need to know is how to take care of a call bird and despatch any other birds caught, i dont need a suit of armour or stun gun and i certainly couldn't give a f**k if someone seen me knocking a crow/magpie on the head. What is the world coming too.

Probably the reason i dont bother setting the Larsen anymore, to many rules and regulations.......and why so some bunny hugging fud can come along and grass me up cause ive not got my 25 digit code for using the trap.........i know what i'd like to chap on the head sometimes...!!! Rant over!!

• Like 1

Marty

Marty.

I asked because i couldn't work out what you were on about. I never asked to be an arse, i actually didnt know about the laws....or more so i couldn't give a toot about them to be honest. Some daft twat who dons a pair of wellies twice a year making up rules/laws about the countryside and how we should live in it boils my piss when they live in a 5 bedroom house in the town!!

All i need to know is how to take care of a call bird and despatch any other birds caught, i dont need a suit of armour or stun gun and i certainly couldn't give a f**k if someone seen me knocking a crow/magpie on the head. What is the world coming too.

Probably the reason i dont bother setting the Larsen anymore, to many rules and regulations.......and why so some bunny hugging fud can come along and grass me up cause ive not got my 25 digit code for using the trap.........i know what i'd like to chap on the head sometimes...!!! Rant over!!

Fair comment, I get a tad edgey when folk ask me some question's, like i hope these birds where dipatched according to the General Licence. I mean..come on what kind of a question is that.?

Im a 43 year old man that's been doing this kind of stuff before i was bearly old enough to wipe my own arse.!

It almost sounds incriminating. I thought the whole hunting life aspect was stick together these days. Lets just say i wouldnt want to get on the wrong side of some on here, its a flipping joke...According to the general licence.??

I dont give a flying monkeys sh*t what guns or nv or dogs or what jobs they do, its not what you have that makes you who you are...its get with the program time.

No offence aimed towards yourself, just some nosey dim witted know it alls get on my nerves...General Licence.

Marty.

Marty.

Edited by Probuk
  • Like 2

Marty

Marty.

Fair comment, I get a tad edgey when folk ask me some question's, like i hope these birds where dipatched according to the General Licence. I mean..come on what kind of a question is that.?

Im a 43 year old man that's been doing this kind of stuff before i was bearly old enough to wipe my own arse.!

It almost sounds incriminating. I thought the whole hunting life aspect was stick together these days. Lets just say i wouldnt want to get on the wrong side of some on here, its a flipping joke...According to the general licence.??

I dont give a flying monkeys sh*t what guns or nv or dogs or what jobs they do, its not what you have that makes you who you are...its get with the program time.

No offence aimed towards yourself, just some nosey dim witted know it alls get on my nerves...General Licence.

Marty.

Marty.

:thumbs:

Fook grabbing them Lab they bite like feck.. :laugh: ..your much better standing back about 6yard with the 12 gauge equiped with 40grm mini mag 4's..don't stand any further away though as the spread could kill the call bird..

A glove and bird dispatcher will save on cartiges, pick one up off ebay for £20... :thumbs:

Marty

I have been bitten of far worse than a maggie Marty .. :thumbs: ..i was just messing about i have been had of bird's of prey dog's and ferret's..but the worst i can remember was a cockatiel.... :D

• Like 2

the worst i can remember was a cockatiel.... :D

:icon_eek: I'll f**kin bet!!! Mate of mine used to have a full blown f**kin' Macaw! Thing scared me to f**kin death! You seen what those b@stards can do to a nut? F**k That getting hold of my finger!

• Like 1