Deerhound Greyhound X Collie Greyhound

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

this is my Bitch, shes 24 1/2 BUT shes also got a tad of beddy in her ATB

Putting Bull in the mix with this type of breeding will only make for a lesser finished article,especially on a longer more testing gallop and a pup that throws to the Greyhound may possibly have a sp

They used to be quite popular, especially for lamping, about 20-30 years ago, and seem to be getting so again. @ morton, I agree with what you say, it's just that our bitch has thrown greyhoundy, but

Very nice! Sounds like a good type!

How long does this type take to mature compared to most other types?

I've heard that deerhound crosses take longer to mature but is there a noticeable difference if there is 1/4 deerhound or less?

ATB

Sam

it takes time to mature when out on walks and simmering with other dogs, but when out hunting with hounds and lamping at night the deerhound x knows exacly what to do from a young age (9months+) and i am saying this from experience of owning a deerhound x.

but saying that, i have never reared any other x from a pup so will be interesting to see what other people day.

I've heard that deerhound crosses take longer to mature but is there a noticeable difference if there is 1/4 deerhound or less?

ATB

Sam

it takes time to mature when out on walks and simmering with other dogs, but when out hunting with hounds and lamping at night the deerhound x knows exacly what to do from a young age (9months+) and i am saying this from experience of owning a deerhound x.

but saying that, i have never reared any other x from a pup so will be interesting to see what other people day.

They do normally take a bit longer to mature than most other types in general, but that's to be expected, especially if they turn out the larger deerhoundy or greyhoundy size, but that's a positive anyway, as it gives you more time to work on their training etc, rather than expecting them to be catching well by the time their 9 or 10 months, which is what many youngsters getting into dogs these days expect, and is, in my opinion why there are so many shite young dogs being passed around and sold, they've been tried far too young and immature and been ruined. Whatever type or cross you've got, especially with deerhound in it, you need to let it mature enough, which you should know by observing how they progress on a weekly basis, not just by age, before you can expect it to make a half decent attempt at catching game for you. Our bitch is 29" tts and was very gangly until she was 2, she hasn't been thrown in at the deep end and we didn't have her jumping much other than fallen trees etc when out on walks until she was putting everything together, speed, balance, coordination and timing. Now she's by far the best dog I've had in 37 years of running dogs. Dog of a lifetime :yes:

Edited by shaaark
  • Like 2

ATB

Sam

They do normally take a bit longer to mature than most other types in general, but that's to be expected, especially if they turn out the larger deerhoundy or greyhoundy size, but that's a positive anyway, as it gives you more time to work on their training etc, rather than expecting them to be catching well by the time their 9 or 10 months, which is what many youngsters getting into dogs these days expect, and is, in my opinion why there are so many shite young dogs being passed around and sold, they've been tried far too young and immature and been ruined. Whatever type or cross you've got, especially with deerhound in it, you need to let it mature enough, which you should know by observing how they progress on a weekly basis, not just by age, before you can expect it to make a half decent attempt at catching game for you. Our bitch is 29" tts and was very gangly until she was 2, she hasn't been thrown in at the deep end and we didn't have her jumping much other than fallen trees etc when out on walks until she was putting everything together, speed, balance, coordination and timing. Now she's by far the best dog I've had in 37 years of running dogs. Dog of a lifetime :yes:

As a deerhound X sapling owner that is very heartening, since it's what I'm starting to observe with my pup.

Agree with whats been said about maturing, the dog pictured was, in a work sense was mature at 12 months and was given the work to reflect this! My other dh x has taken longer, much longer and so has been held back on stuff he may have been put off by. At 18 months is now starting to come into his own.

Edited by lapin2008
  • Like 2

A great cross, used to have allot knocking about local when I was a kid, my father and a fair few of his friends had them in fact, it seemed everyone wanted one they were very much 'in Vogue'

Personally If could find a good collie grey with a dash of Deerhound which didn't throw too big I would have one. They do throw a very classic lurcher type.

Good Hunting Sirius

Edited by Sirius
  • Like 2