Dogs That Dont Run When See Rabiits

i seen most types of dog do it, an maybe some of them were sickend when young, but no chance were they all, i held a collie/grey back for being a puppyish an having an injury till he was well oer 2 an he still started pickin an choosin...

i honestly beleive if its in ye dog its in ye dog, an it will surface at some point, maybe when its young, maybe when its older, i once had a sal/grey x coll/grey well into her 4th season an she started doing it she never got too much too young, a mate of min ehad a beddy/whip/grey an he only lamps once a week but mooches with the dog everyday, his dog started doing it after 2 seasons, an its biggest bag was 6 bunnys, hardly overtaxed is it???

good dogs are good dogs, an not as coomon as folk may think, thats why it makes me laff when ole pat up teh street wants a litter of his beloved lurcher, breeds her to some other dog an takes a pup, the rest get sold on....... my money says ole pat could have bought in a pup off better dogs...

if ye dog picks its runs, or stalks on the beam, then its your choice as to what route to follow..... but its fookin annoying when ye spent 18 months or more putting ye all into a pup for this to happen, it broke my heart lol :thumbs:

• Like 6

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

thats your collies for you

i seen most types of dog do it, an maybe some of them were sickend when young, but no chance were they all, i held a collie/grey back for being a puppyish an having an injury till he was well oer 2 an

I dont Cant beat a bit of feather  

i seen most types of dog do it, an maybe some of them were sickend when young, but no chance were they all, i held a collie/grey back for being a puppyish an having an injury till he was well oer 2 an he still started pickin an choosin...

i honestly beleive if its in ye dog its in ye dog, an it will surface at some point, maybe when its young, maybe when its older, i once had a sal/grey x coll/grey well into her 4th season an she started doing it she never got too much too young, a mate of min ehad a beddy/whip/grey an he only lamps once a week but mooches with the dog everyday, his dog started doing it after 2 seasons, an its biggest bag was 6 bunnys, hardly overtaxed is it???

good dogs are good dogs, an not as coomon as folk may think, thats why it makes me laff when ole pat up teh street wants a litter of his beloved lurcher, breeds her to some other dog an takes a pup, the rest get sold on....... my money says ole pat could have bought in a pup off better dogs...

if ye dog picks its runs, or stalks on the beam, then its your choice as to what route to follow..... but its fookin annoying when ye spent 18 months or more putting ye all into a pup for this to happen, it broke my heart lol :thumbs:

Do you see stalking the beam as a major fault then Reddawn? And not to be bred from?

like i said gaz_daniel said mine does not not run anything but if she sees it and then it squats she will the take her time to get there not run flat out and i think its a postive ..

less energy used if takes out off seat

she will run anything never matter how far .. as long as she sees it but shes only 16 months and still learning this being her first season

and always gives 110% during course

Edited by keeganrees

Do you see stalking the beam as a major fault then Reddawn? And not to be bred from?

I do. And wouldnt ever breed off a dog that did
  • Like 1

i personaly wouldnt keep a dog that stalked, never mind breed off it pal, but thats just me, i go lamping to enjoy meself an watch me dogs work, i put a lot of effort into me dogs, i expect the same back unless they injured or summat obviously, but each to there own :thumbs:

• Like 2

i personaly wouldnt keep a dog that stalked, never mind breed off it pal, but thats just me, i go lamping to enjoy meself an watch me dogs work, i put a lot of effort into me dogs, i expect the same back unless they injured or summat obviously, but each to there own :thumbs:

I see what you are saying. Never really looked at it like that.

I've seen dogs that run flat out at a squatter, over shoot the rabbit and its gone.

My bitch will stalk, go out of the beam, anticipate its direction and pick it up.

I've never seen it as a fault.

some times that ole collie x is smarter than the fellow who is holding the slip lead, I think some were down the line the dog has been put to many slips and not been able to catch, so therefore, its now thinking, how long have you had the dog???

sometimes the collie x can also think there smarter than there owner some are just scatty

so would you say a dog picking a run as a major fault or would you rather have a yapper of a beddy x that scares everthing for the next three fields

yes i would say a dog picking its run is a major fault at least the beddys will give everything for you .Had beddy crosses for years never had a yapper yet had collie crosses and one of the collie cross was a great lamper until it was 5 years of age and it would make it on mind up in what it wanted to chase also the worse yapper ive had was a bitch with collie in the mix not saying all collie crosses are like this just 95% only messing theres good and bad in every cross
  • Like 1

does any 1 have any problems with this ive noticed my dog wont run a rabbit if its at a certain distance i was out last night and when i got up near enough and it bolted she wasnt running full hearted may b she wasnt in the humor i dont no but i did hear on here about collie traits in some dogs could this b it coming in my dog ?not running cant understand it really some times shes alrite but never if a rabbit is out in the middle of the field she will not run it but when u get a certain distance she will run it she has me baffled and i noticed she runs them hard when shes up close enough to them shes not stupid by the looks of it but what could b the problem her e?

collie x ,............i think need to be entered slow and are a type that if there not entered properly they are very strong minded in habit and once they start getting into a mind set its hard to get them out of it................the mature brain would be better to make decisions than a pup seeing and making decisions and getting into habit............

as you can see im no expert,........but i think you need to hold them back from game as much as you can .............constant one on one training which gets them using there nose with the dummy..........they are amazingly clever and once they know your own mind set they will amaze you to please you...............once you got this and you know what you want from each other it gets easier.........

confidence building is important and before they see anything running,........... mouthing in the net is very important to build on .............i think any way......

slow is key and getting them running early is asking for it ................

excellent working dogs...........but are easy to ruin when young............

• Like 1

if you can take the dog with an other dog thats running the beam well,hold your own back dont give it any runs at all for maybe 5 or 6 nights let it watch just,might do it the world of good seeing an other dog run the beam and with holding it back a few nights could make it a bit keener to run out the beam....worth a try.

I know my dogs not a running dog but terrier but she would not chase a rabbit that she could blaintenley see a few meters or so in front if her but then she surprised me the other day she ran a hare right across to the other end of a field until the ditch line why she done this I don't know as she must know she had know chance but she kept going until the ditch line and it must of lost sight so is it the collie or is your dog knowing what is capable for it to catch

I know my dogs not a running dog but terrier but she would not chase a rabbit that she could blaintenley see a few meters or so in front if her but then she surprised me the other day she ran a hare right across to the other end of a field until the ditch line why she done this I don't know as she must know she had know chance but she kept going until the ditch line and it must of lost sight so is it the collie or is your dog knowing what is capable for it to catch

My bitch doesn't pick her runs. She's never refused. Just stalks sometimes.

I'm quite sure its not her doubting her capabilities, just using her head too much for my liking.

Me mate got half collie grey bitch lump of a bitch for 22tts she Neva stalked or picked a run. Think few ovas on here seen her run, squatters she does me head in if 10 squat she catch 9 of the seat. We took her to a real testin spot ran her on 29-30 rabs she took 26 of em very good bitch just need the [bANNED TEXT] owners for them

• Like 1