Undershot jaw

Has anyonehad experience of breeding from terriers with an underbite I have a top bitch with an underbite who I would consider breeding from but the underbite has caused her discomfort in the past but hasn't been a problem while working would it pass n to the pups?

Edited by Bigbear1990

Has anyonehad experience of breeding from terriers with an underbite I have a top bitch with an underbite who I would consider breeding from but the underbite has caused her discomfort in the past but hasn't been a problem while working would it pass n to the pups?

it is a genetic fault so there is a risk of it being passed on ;)

i know a bloke who has a lakie dog with an awful shot mouth and its been used for stud loads of time and hasn t thrown a pup yet with an undershot mouth , undershot mouths are usally a result of inbreeding to tight its known to jump generations and will come out in a pup somewhere down the line buit if the dogs a good worker i would let it put you off breeding it but be prepared to cull hard if need be

• Like 3

knowi a bloke who has a lakie dog with an awful shot mouth and its been used for stud loads of time and hasn t thrown a pup yet with an undershot mouth , undershot mouths are usally a result of inbreeding to tight its known to jump generations and will come out in a pup somewhere down the line buit if the dogs a good worker i would let it put you off breeding it but be prepared to cull hard if need be

You honestly believe that?????????? :blink:

knowi a bloke who has a lakie dog with an awful shot mouth and its been used for stud loads of time and hasn t thrown a pup yet with an undershot mouth , undershot mouths are usally a result of inbreeding to tight its known to jump generations and will come out in a pup somewhere down the line buit if the dogs a good worker i would let it put you off breeding it but be prepared to cull hard if need be

Why what has he said that is wrong?,we bred several times from dogs with bad mouths if you know the history of the dogs involved it can be done with success,IE if both dog and bitch have a history of bad mouths on both sides don't do it,KNOW YOUR BREEDING.Better a good pup with a bad mouth than a bad pup with a good one.You were quick to ridicule the man's opinion(at least he gave one)but did not give one of your own.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Like 5

Why what has he said that is wrong?,we bred several times from dogs with bad mouths if you know the history of the dogs involved it can be done with success,IE if both dog and bitch have a history of bad mouths on both sides don't do it,KNOW YOUR BREEDING.Better a good pup with a bad mouth than a bad pup with a good one.You were quick to ridicule the man's opinion(at least he gave one)but did not give one of your own.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WELL SAID :yes:

If you read the thread properly then you will see that Bigbear1990 asked a question......."would a bad mouth pass on to pups"....... i answered the post, then TOPPER answered after me and i asked him a question....................not rocket science duh!!!!!!! 8) i didn't ridicule anyone, some guys on here manage that for themselves!!

If you read the thread properly then you will see that Bigbear1990 asked a question......."would a bad mouth pass on to pups"....... i answered the post, then TOPPER answered after me and i asked him a question....................not rocket science duh!!!!!!! 8) i didn't ridicule anyone, some guys on here manage that for themselves!!

I did read it,he gave his opinion,you just made a statement,and the manner of your question was condescending.Mabye less of the duh!!!!!!not really in to the Simson's

I did read it,he gave his opinion,you just made a statement,and the manner of your question was condescending.Mabye less of the duh!!!!!!not really in to the Simson's

I wouldn't say condescending or patronizing i'd say maybe more facetious...........grinning-smiley-003.gif

• Like 1

I wouldn't say condescending or patronizing i'd say maybe more facetious...........grinning-smiley-003.gif

Condescending sounds better.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Like 1

There is a chance that it will be passed on to the pups but I wouldn't let it bother you granted you will get no rosettes at the shows but as far as working ability I don't think it affects them I have had a number of undershot dogs one was severely and he was the best terrier I have owned to date and prob the hardest Russell I have dug too or seen first hand I think when a pup is born with it the pup learns to eat and bite with it so learns to live with it

Condescending sounds better.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like facetious better and as i'm getting the blame i want facetious :victory: