if greyhounds are the fastest?...

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

as i said on page two the bitch i reared from 8 weeks old and lived to 11 was a good hunting partner and put plenty stuff away but any one who gets a ex track dog and thinks it can do as well as a lur

The use of pastoral dogs to produce lurchers goes back to the times when the common man couldn't own any dog above terrier size unless it was used for herding/droving. Put a rough coat over a longdog

Lurcher owners/breeders are after the "Holy Grail" of the running dog ; a dog with the speed of the Greyhound, the brains of the Collie, the stamina of the Saluki, coat of a Deerhound, the heart of th

Posted Images

what a load a pish. greyhounds better than lurckers . haaaaa only aroud a track.ffs

read the full thread you moron no one as said a greyhound is better than a lurcher ffs and whats a lurckers :laugh: Edited by troter58
  • Like 1

It's still not going to replace a purpose bred lurcher though. I know you get exceptions in everything but seriously? Those long toes for a start.....don't know anyone who wants their pup to take the greyhounds side regarding feet.

they just aint got it for long hard work they are sprint dogs they burn out to quick with lactic acid build up . bottom linr a good lurcher is allways better :thumbs:

Whilst they ain't got the wind of a saluki or deerhound they ain't finished after a short sprint and cramped up.

ffs exactly they are sprint dogs fast twitch muscles if i was you id get a hamster you know fanny f..k about dogs :laugh:

How many times have you been to Clonmel or the Altcar and seen them run? Fanny f..k all? You've seen nothing but are an expert!!!

Your just being silly now kranky. You said you never thought people would talk about ex racers in the field. Errrr hello, what are 99.99999% of greyhounds used for? I don't think you have ever been in a field have you? You say greyhounds have great feet, are you serious? Obviously lurchers hit stuff but here's a wee something for you to digest, the faster the animal the more likely it is to hit something. You take a speed bomb into a boulder strewn hill, it's more likely to hit one compared to a more slower type. I seriously don't know why I'm wasting my time with you, your knowledge regarding field craft comes from books. Ill just bow to your superior knowledge on the matter...... Greyhounds are the dogs bollocks

What are you on about? The majority of greyhounds in this country are used for racing but th

It's still not going to replace a purpose bred lurcher though. I know you get exceptions in everything but seriously? Those long toes for a start.....don't know anyone who wants their pup to take the greyhounds side regarding feet.

they just aint got it for long hard work they are sprint dogs they burn out to quick with lactic acid build up . bottom linr a good lurcher is allways better :thumbs:

Whilst they ain't got the wind of a saluki or deerhound they ain't finished after a short sprint and cramped up.

ffs exactly they are sprint dogs fast twitch muscles if i was you id get a hamster you know fanny f..k about dogs :laugh:

How many times have you been to Clonmel or the Altcar and seen them run? Fanny f..k all? You've seen nothing but are an expert!!!

your oviously mentally chalanged ill leave it with you before you start crying :laugh:

what a load a pish. greyhounds better than lurckers . haaaaa only aroud a track.ffs

read the full thread you moron no one as said a greyhound is better than a lurcher ffs and whats a lurckers :laugh:

here mong. the thred seems to be going along the lines of endurance.feet and injuries. ffs pal .

Why do people ride motorbikes,when a car is warmer safer drier,Because they want to.

If you like to see a fast dog work then you ain't going to getter faster than a greyhound,Like any fast dog your trading speed for other qualities.

Why has one got to be better than another it depends what you want....

• Like 3

Your just being silly now kranky. You said you never thought people would talk about ex racers in the field. Errrr hello, what are 99.99999% of greyhounds used for? I don't think you have ever been in a field have you? You say greyhounds have great feet, are you serious? Obviously lurchers hit stuff but here's a wee something for you to digest, the faster the animal the more likely it is to hit something. You take a speed bomb into a boulder strewn hill, it's more likely to hit one compared to a more slower type. I seriously don't know why I'm wasting my time with you, your knowledge regarding field craft comes from books. Ill just bow to your superior knowledge on the matter...... Greyhounds are the dogs bollocks

What are.you on about? The majority of greyhounds in this country are used for racing but this isn't about racing dogs.

You're such a fan of quoting me, show me where I said greyhounds had great feet. They haven't got feet that get smashed up everytime they're out, anymore than any other dog. Some have good feet some have bad feet. You've not answered my questions with regard to the other breeds I mentioned because you do t know the answers. Long toes don't make a dog slower or more prone to injury.

A faster dog is more likely to hit stuff than a slower dog? Are you seriously offering that up as a fact? Lack of real world experience is showing through here.

read the full thread you moron no one as said a greyhound is better than a lurcher ffs and whats a lurckers :laugh:

here mong. the thred seems to be going along the lines of endurance.feet and injuries. ffs pal .

only one mong on here fella thats you :laugh: :laugh:

What are.you on about? The majority of greyhounds in this country are used for racing but this isn't about racing dogs.

You're such a fan of quoting me, show me where I said greyhounds had great feet. They haven't got feet that get smashed up everytime they're out, anymore than any other dog. Some have good feet some have bad feet. You've not answered my questions with regard to the other breeds I mentioned because you do t know the answers. Long toes don't make a dog slower or more prone to injury.

A faster dog is more likely to hit stuff than a slower dog? Are you seriously offering that up as a fact? Lack of real world experience is showing through here.

are you seriously arguing that fact? a fast dog is always going to be more prone to hitting stuff that a slower dog due to momentum etc., didn't you ever do physics at school pal?

Edited by rob190364

only one mong on here fella thats you :laugh: :laugh:

can anyone name one other occassion apart from a thread on THL where grown men will start calling each other mongs....jesus!!

• Like 4

Why do people ride motorbikes,when a car is warmer safer drier,Because they want to.

If you like to see a fast dog work then you ain't going to getter faster than a greyhound,Like any fast dog your trading speed for other qualities.

I don't think one is better than the other, I see the different qualities in other types of Lurcher too. I may never want to own one but it doesn't mean I can't admire the qualities that make them excel.

I run a Lurcher/longdog myself at the moment and for what I want he's better than a pure grey.

I don't like people slagging off an entire breed and spreading nonsense about the working ability of that breed when they have no experience or knowledge of the breed in question.

• Like 4

I don't think one is better than the other, I see the different qualities in other types of Lurcher too. I may never want to own one but it doesn't mean I can't admire the qualities that make them excel.

I run a Lurcher/longdog myself at the moment and for what I want he's better than a pure grey.

I don't like people slagging off an entire breed and spreading nonsense about the working ability of that breed when they have no experience or knowledge of the breed in question.

I totally agree with you.

• Like 1

At the risk of being cut to pieces......

Is there not a completely seperate strain(?) of greyhound that is/was used for coursing and the suggestion there was that a pure 'coursing' greyhound had better feet and better wind than a pure 'track' greyhound?

I seem to remember watching/reading something Clarissa wrote about 'coursing' greyhounds suggesting that they were bred down through the generations for the abilities required for coursing.......

Gently now lads.....

are you seriously arguing that fact? a fast dog is always going to be more prone to hitting stuff that a slower dog due to momentum etc., didn't you ever do physics at school pal?

I'm gonna be controversial here, I'd say driven dogs are more likely to hit stuff and stupid dogs are more likely to hit stuff, but a fast dog isn't necessarily more likely.

For instance a driven but slow animal like a terrier will be very likely to crash but a much faster dog running sensibly or lacking drive will quite possibly go it's whole career without a bad crash.

Also I would say fast dogs are more likely to cause serious injury in a crash than a slower dog, partly due to the speed and also the build of such dogs. So fast dogs may be considered more injury prone but I wouldn't say more likely to crash, that's a result of drive or brains imo.

And as a 'physicist', I feel qualified to answer that. :D

Edited by Born Hunter
  • Like 2