American badger ?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lets not be judgemental about other people's hunting ways,at least they can still hunt badger(we f****d ourself up without any outside help).Back in the day if one dog could not stop a badger digging

European badgers dig on as well,if the dog is inexperienced or not game enough for badger digging the badger gets away.A dog that knows his game will not let him dig on but will keep harassing him unt

Please excuse me if this comes off a bit deffensive but the dogs in the clip are mine and I think I owe it to them to respond to the couple negative remarks. Below are some photos of my dogs just to s

Posted Images

The American badger is indeed dug to here, but, has different habits than the UK version......They are difficult to get a dog to because they will dig away at any sign of an intruder, and in seconds they are tunneled out of contact range......The American badger usually doesn't live in a deep permanent den ,and, moves around an area a mile square or more.....Easy to find an area they hunt in with many short holes that normally are where they dug out mice, rabbits, voles, or other quarry, but best to locate one by spotting them from a distance away and in stealth mode get a dog in a hole to confront the badger.........They are indeed a tough character and will give any single terrier a hard time.

European badgers dig on as well,if the dog is inexperienced or not game enough for badger digging the badger gets away.A dog that knows his game will not let him dig on but will keep harassing him until you get to him.This is what separates a good dog from the rest.
  • Like 9

Please excuse me if this comes off a bit deffensive but the dogs in the clip are mine and I think I owe it to them to respond to the couple negative remarks. Below are some photos of my dogs just to show you they have plenty of game. People need to know the american badger is a completly different animal than the U.K. badger, they can apply as much pressure as possable as soon as you start digging the badger will turn and start digging away with the dog still holding on, until the backfill is three foot deep (I can guarantee there is no dog that can hold on). I look at this web site alot and never say anything, but thought I better respond to this because of all the lads that have to talk, and talk and talk but have nothing to show for it . For everyone else who loves the hobby, and working good dogs in the ground enjoy.

post-61842-0-75522200-1357526434.jpgpost-61842-0-37862300-1357526445.jpgpost-61842-0-95415800-1357526456.jpgpost-61842-0-57443900-1357526466.jpg

• Like 9

Please excuse me if this comes off a bit deffensive but the dogs in the clip are mine and I think I owe it to them to respond to the couple negative remarks. Below are some photos of my dogs just to show you they have plenty of game. People need to know the american badger is a completly different animal than the U.K. badger, they can apply as much pressure as possable as soon as you start digging the badger will turn and start digging away with the dog still holding on, until the backfill is three foot deep (I can guarantee there is no dog that can hold on). I look at this web site alot and never say anything, but thought I better respond to this because of all the lads that have to talk, and talk and talk but have nothing to show for it . For everyone else who loves the hobby, and working good dogs in the ground enjoy.

Thanks nebot1400, i'm very pleased to read you.

The European badger is able to dig quickly too (when the soil isn't too hard). In french we say "contre-terrage" (soil counteract ?).

The black dog on the video had done a great work, according to me, Biting the ass and barking the face.

By this way, badger keep face to face with the dog and he can't dig further. And when the dog is barking you can locate him.

If the dog is barking the ass, badger can dig easily.

If the dog is biting the face, you can't heard anything and the vet is the real winner (in the better case) !

Your dog could be in my team, no problem.

• Like 5

i know it in the usa but by heck them dog are nt fit for purpose them men are a joke with no respect for the animal their hunting the way i see it the black dog done its job ny to my cup of tea but there was no need to let the b@t dog in aswell animal shud av been dispatched cleanly what a commosion them men caused for themselves a right pair of idiots imo

The American badger is indeed dug to here, but, has different habits than the UK version......They are difficult to get a dog to because they will dig away at any sign of an intruder, and in seconds they are tunneled out of contact range......The American badger usually doesn't live in a deep permanent den ,and, moves around an area a mile square or more.....Easy to find an area they hunt in with many short holes that normally are where they dug out mice, rabbits, voles, or other quarry, but best to locate one by spotting them from a distance away and in stealth mode get a dog in a hole to confront the badger.........They are indeed a tough character and will give any single terrier a hard time.

European badgers dig on as well,if the dog is inexperienced or not game enough for badger digging the badger gets away.A dog that knows his game will not let him dig on but will keep harassing him until you get to him.This is what separates a good dog from the rest.

Agree.

I like a dog that after digging one, the dog'll will go back and dig on to the ones that have dug thereselves in.

• Like 3

20 yrs ago a kentucky guest came to one of our meetings after spending a couple of weeks over here digging and told us theres were not as formidable as ours and he said he had to fly to different states to work them as it was legal in some but not in others lol

Edited by shep123

2 terriers in a hole torturing quarry is NOT ACCEPTABLE.... in ANY country nebo no matter how much you want to defend yourself..... as said that animal should have been dispatched not tortured by 2 terriers.... :thumbs:

For your info the badger was dispatched humanly, the second dog was entered to try and stop the badger so we could stop him from digging away again.
  • Like 1

Lets not be judgemental about other people's hunting ways,at least they can still hunt badger(we f****d ourself up without any outside help).Back in the day if one dog could not stop a badger digging on,or find one dug in,he was considered no good and did not come home.Badger digging was not rocket science,either the dog was good or not.

• Like 11

I agree two dogs working quarry is no good all he done was get his dogs a few more wounds for nothing his quarry should of been dispatched at the first safe sighting, dispatched humanely and then let your dog, I say dog not dogs have a rag of its prize and move onto the next, alls u done is get to dogs a couple of marks for nothing silly if you ask me but every man works differently not having a go just giving my opinion, atb,

• Like 2