which brand of scopes to avoid: zero loss.

looking for peoples experences of which brands to avoid when keeping zero is king.

it seems the more expensive the better, but which scopes/brands have people have problems with the most?

and for that matter which brands/scopes have held zero well?

Edited by riflehunter583

looking for peoples experences of which brands to avoid when keeping zero is king.

it seems the more expensive the better, but which scopes/brands have people have problems with the most?

and for that matter which brands/scopes have held zero well?

Depends on how much you want to spend dude,for my money,£400 will get you a mint second hand,8x56 s+b,you really cant go wrong with one of them,that said I am a huge fan of Nikon scopes,my 3-9x50 prostaff is amazing,and zero remains pinpoint all the time,brilliant scopes.

I agree, never had an issue with my Nikon monarch and I do a fair amount of adjusting the drums for elevation and deflection. Earlier this year I slipped on a rock pile and landed on my rifle which clattered against the rocks. The zero was not affected at all.

In theory scopes shouldn't lose their zero especially if the internals are made of metal and not plastic.

It goes without saying that top end scopes with finger adjustable drums are usually very well made, and designed to be adjusted regularly so are more likely to hold their zero.

I've owned Hawke's (Sport HDs - Panorama EV), Nikko Sterling's, Simmons, SMK and what turned out to be a knock off Bushnell. The only scope I had real issues with was an old second hand Simmons which was probably abused and slapped on the rifle it came with.

As always though, be prepared to pay for quality and buy the best you can afford. :thumbs:

Edited by milegajo

Have Swarovski, Schmidt and bender and a simmonds on my 22rf ! never had a problem with any of them. Used to have a couple of chinese scopes don't any more they either have crap lenses poor low light or wandering zero.

Buy a GOOD used euro scope like Charlie Caller said, might seem like alot now but better than missing the deer of a lifetime or the problem fox. I have a S&B with a big dent in the tube and it still holds zero. The old owner was going to bin it . I have used it weekly for the last year

I use Hawke Panarama on my rimfires. Never lost zero and both have had a moderate knock and used weekly.

If on a centrefire i'd go for either a top Hawke scope or an S&B or similar. New or used depending on your budget.....

Have fun!..........

Think calibre, consequential shock & recoil.

If its a .22 or slug gun it wont matter, however if its a .308 etc, cheap crap scopes wont hack it.

Swaro, Zeiss, Docter, S&B - you cant go wrong.

Anything else is compromising.

I agree,however I can assure anyone that Nikon scopes are not compromising,after all they make the best cameras in the world, so know a thing or two about glass :thumbs:

Think calibre, consequential shock & recoil.

If its a .22 or slug gun it wont matter, however if its a .308 etc, cheap crap scopes wont hack it.

Swaro, Zeiss, Docter, S&B - you cant go wrong.

Anything else is compromising.

I would add to this list (Swaro, Zeiss, Docter, S&B): Kaps, Kahles, Leica, Nickel, Premier Reticles, Nightforce

and even in this list I would exclude Zeiss Conquest and Zeiss Duralyt series.