Update on poorly patterdale.

Ok, so my pup took a turn for the worse after I wormed him, I ended up taking him to the vet as he was doing no better, the vet was not the most helpful person she suggested he had parvo and the best option was euthanasia, well had he been presenting more symptoms then yes I would have accepted defeat but he wasn't, it was only whilst reading online that over counter wormers don't always clear the problem first go and leave stunned worms in pups intestinal track of which they lack the ability to clear, i thought maybe the poor bugger is blocked and backing up. So going against the wormer recommendation I have double dosed him plus a syringe of sugar water, 6 hours later with a yelp and a squirt out pops the blighters.. I have been feeding him by hand today with just lactol and he is up and about this evening yapping,bright eyed and loving his warm puppy wheat bag my wife bought him. Bit of a long story but..... I could have gone with the vets advice losing my little guy and all for a blocked waste pipe. Thank god for google and sites like hunting life for sound advice!

• Like 8

Well done mate. Its very satifying when you can bring one back from the brink. It makes you wonder how many get PTS just because some vets dont have the experience and are too proud to admit it. Once he is back to himself I would be tempted to take him in to show her and see if she recognizes him. Either way time for a new vet i think?

• Like 1

Well done mate. Its very satifying when you can bring one back from the brink. It makes you wonder how many get PTS just because some vets dont have the experience and are too proud to admit it. Once he is back to himself I would be tempted to take him in to show her and see if she recognizes him. Either way time for a new vet i think?

Oh yeah new vet for sure, she was wanting to take my dog on a hunch diagnosis and charge me Boxing Day out of hours fees for the privilege.

first of all i take my hat off to you for sticking with him and well done. secondly , i know the vet wanted to put him to s - - - p, but i would take him back to the vets and show her the dog, and tell her what you did , so she doesn't make the same mistake with someone else's animal. everyday we All learn something new, so i think its best to pass on this knowledge (as it looks like this vet needs all the help she can get) . well done :D

• Like 1

im sick of the vets around by me. soon as they know you work your dogs they do not want to know, all they are concerned about is how did the tail get docked or how did the bites happen on his face, i took my lurcher in once it was a bull x type it had slight fracture on its leg and all they was bothered about was that the dog looked like it had a lot of pit bull in it not the fact that my dog could not walk. and they are farm vets that have been around for ages.

everything is against working dog man and its only going to get worse i think