lurchers " English shepherd dog " anyone tried them?

Just out of interest anyone work a full collie ? ferreting mooching ect

I do, for mooching. Not as fast as a lurcher, obviously. But good nose, works under close control or on his own wide ranging. He also works sheep and pigs.

My favourite way to use him is to send him out to the top of a piece of ground to be worked, then have him bring the ground in towards the lurchers at the bottom end . No big hauls but makes for some good sport.

The way the current climate against hunting with running dogs is going, I think that for those of us that prefer to keep under the radar would be better served with "hunting collies" rather than out and out speedsters. If that makes any sense?

• Like 7

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Prick ears and pig ugly.........but give me purpose over pretty anyday !!!   "Say Cheese !!"

wanted....................     some sucker to buy this dog so i can use it for stud an peddle the new colliex

Posted Images

I don't think you'd get many lurchers with much more Collie in than the one i have Steve without it being called a Collie lol...mine's dam is a pure Collie,a bitch used for working Cattle in Southern Ireland,his sire was a lurcher who's sire was out of 1/2 Collie x Lurcher himself and the same 1/2 Collie lurcher which would be his grandfather is also his great grand sire via the dam to his sire lol..complicated shit but nevertheless thats the way he is bred lol

• Like 2

I do, for mooching. Not as fast as a lurcher, obviously. But good nose, works under close control or on his own wide ranging. He also works sheep and pigs.

My favourite way to use him is to send him out to the top of a piece of ground to be worked, then have him bring the ground in towards the lurchers at the bottom end . No big hauls but makes for some good sport.

The way the current climate against hunting with running dogs is going, I think that for those of us that prefer to keep under the radar would be better served with "hunting collies" rather than out and out speedsters. If that makes any sense?

it can end a bit messy though!

xmas2011052.jpg

• Like 3

Can see where your coming from :thumbs:

Yes I will keep you updated,

I just hope they make a fare size over 19" :hmm:22" would be nice!

you will see 1 of the boys round the shows next summer but I wont say to much on here! :yes:

if I was to use or buy a kelpie x which i cant see, I would go for one with a lot of whippet blood red-fawn 3/4 whippet 1/4 kelpie without the fox like prick ears!more whippet rose ears :thumbs:

Collie type lurchers

Dont get me wrong I think Border Collies are one of the best dogs in the world as a farm dog, :victory:

but Collie crossed with greyhounds they have that short neck, most first crosses have bad feet, plus they dont have a very good turn at speed, there short winded with distinctive strong eye and Crouching when hunting! no good when lamping bloodie creeper up :whistling:

1 of my pups has started doing this to other pup, just like her Pip did when lamping, it only had its good points if we were out having a mooch around and she spotted something she would freeze dead still turn her head and give me the eye! stay here, then of she would go low and slow, great to watch with squirrels but a pain at other times like when lamping!

I cant see what you all like about these foxy looking Dingoes x collies :bad:

Edited by kevin-Day

I think it's time you give up Kevin in this here old dog game or at least with whatever it is your trying to achieve? Maybe stick to pure breds as that way the odds are in your favour as to what the end result when breeding will turn out like....us guys have came to realise there are NO certainties when breeding lurchers..all this long neck,prick ears etc is bollox and that's the truth...it don't and won't make one shite of difference to it's working ability..showing maybe but rosettes mean jack shit to real hunting folk,it's what the dog achieves in the field that proves the worth of a Lurcher,not if it has drop ears,long neck and a red nose..I think with it being Xmas you are maybe getting confused with Rudolph? ..there again this is just my opinion like you have yours..I often get told I talk a heap of shite haha

• Like 2

WTF are prick ears? and whats wrong with prick ears? lol as long as it can hear what difference does it make?

All this wikipedia bollocks on different herding dogs is just trying to create a market for them as the next big thing that just isnt needed!

Do they come in chocolate?

• Like 4

I thought the chap was just having a laugh at 1st but it does seem as though he's serious? Holy feck Chalky knows more about Cur x's than anyone I'd say? f**k knows who writes some of the shite on that Wikipedia..why not take advice off the likes of Chalky rather than Wikipedia and some woman who shows the darn things?

• Like 3

Didn't Plummer right that his Merle had a short neck, which meant that brain impulses got to the dogs feet faster. Hence a short neck= faster dog. Mendelssohn's law of independent segregation and all that?!

Or is that just a load of boll###s too

• Like 1