Young dogs 1st!!!! an my first solo dig

If it is the dog's first dig then i would killing everyone of his game for the first couple of seasons, might of read it wrong though as it took 3 hours to get through ?

why?

If it is the dog's first dig then i would killing everyone of his game for the first couple of seasons, might of read it wrong though as it took 3 hours to get through ?

why?

Because if the terrier's getting knocked up & not getting his ''Game/trophy'' afterwards he might end up walking. as much work as you can [easy earth's] & reward him with the game when finished, good luck with your terrier.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As the above says, went for a stroll with the collar on on the young black dog this morning in a wooded area a stones throw away from were i live which has a healthy urban fox population, the young do

well done hg, sure its no bother to ya. your mentor carl fell terrier/,or should i say yoda, tought you well , jokeing aside. fair play to ya and the young dog. good times ahead id say. ps that mi

That mirror is in transit my man!!! I contacted the currier company an they said it'll be late due to bad weather . Eye up rosette hunter if you play your cards right i might pass some of the knowledg

Posted Images

well done hg, sure its no bother to ya. your mentor carl fell terrier/,or should i say yoda, :laugh: tought you well , jokeing aside. fair play to ya and the young dog. good times ahead id say. :victory: ps that mirror hasint arrived in the post yet, you would want to get on to the sorting office and c what the hold up is

Edited by buster red
  • Like 3

why?

why?

Because if the terrier's getting knocked up & not getting his ''Game/trophy'' afterwards he might end up walking. as much work as you can [easy earth's] & reward him with the game when finished, good luck with your terrier.

aye alreet.....

As the above says, went for a stroll with the collar on on the young black dog this morning in a wooded area a stones throw away from were i live which has a healthy urban fox population, the young dog seemed in the mood today he was buzzing around checking burrows but he wasn't interested in any of the ones we'd first checked, then we came across another set of holes, he disappeared down one an after a quick look around found him on the box an he could be heard baying away steady, so twas a 10 minute up an back journey to retrieve the graft an spade from the house,i got back to the spot an the dog had moved a little further from were i first got the mark, anyway after clearing the area from the thick bramble covering i started making me way down to the young dog after a 3 hr dig in which i had to so on my knees til i could stand up in the dig i eventually broke thru to him sounding away an then he took hold of his quarry it was a task to break him off an his quarry was allowed run on for another day, all in all i was happy enough with the young dogs performance.

• Like 1

why?

why?

I have been digging now for a good many years and I have never heard such bull in all my life !!! I never kill any game unless directed by the farmer or land owner and as for your so called reward is it not reward enough to dig to your dog if the dog is right he/she will not come away after any digs. Sorry for the rant Hard grafter well do to you and your young dog that was a fair dig for you and fair play for letting the game run its nit all about killing !!!!!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I have been digging now for a good many years and I have never heard such bull in all my life !!! I never kill any game unless directed by the farmer or land owner and as for your so called reward is it not reward enough to dig to your dog if the dog is right he/she will not come away after any digs. Sorry for the rant Hard grafter well do to you and your young dog that was a fair dig for you and fair play for letting the game run its nit all about killing !!!!!

When he says reward he means Rewarding the dog, young dogs need to feel like they're winning each time they see a bit of action. I know plenty of people who kill quarry for a young terrier on his first season to help encourage the dog.

But then I suppose we all have our own way of doing things.

why?

why?

Correct. In fact the opposite can happen when I was a professional terrier man the guy I worked with never let his dogs rag a dead fox, he said if they know they bite they always keep their distance. Dead foxes dont bite, His dogs worked for years and didn't haveva scar to their name which is the sign of a good dog.

• Like 1