foxes down rabbit holes????

i was out ferreting a few weeks ago and the dog marked a rabbit set i netted up and entered the ferret after a minute or two she came running out and didnt stop for about 20-30 yrds,and wouldnt go back in ,i entered my other jill but she came back to the entrance of the rabbit hole hissing and let off her stink,iv never seen this happen before,,then last week i was in the same area about half a mile from where that happened and my terrier was chasing a rabbit down an hedge row the rabbit dissapeared down in the corner of the hedge row,i had a look and again the dog was marking a rabbit set of about 5 holes quite small three of the holes were, i netted up and entered the jill after about a miuute i heard squeeling and thought f**k it a dig is on the cards,just then the ferret came running out dragging her back legs across the floor and didnt stop running for about 20-30 yrds i picked her up and shed been bitten on her back and on her hind leg and right next to her bum, i was out again today about 3/4 mile away from where this happened and the dog marked a rabbit hole a 6 holer,i netted up and entered the ferret,she came out to the entrance of the hole hissing and letting off her cent again,i thought how big are the rabbits over here lol i carried on hunting today and the same two jills have bolted rabbits no problem,so i can only think iv been really unlucky to have bumped into these foxes on 3 occasions,but this has never happened to me before,just wondering how often people come accross this? atb fts

Edited by foxtails

About 40 years ago I was out with a Jack Russel and a big old Hob I had

just a quick walk

The terrier marked a rabbit hole I netted up and put in the hob

The JR went down the hole with out me knowing next thig I heard an almighty

commotion.

After a dig(with a borrowed spade) I could see the JR baying to a young dog fox which in turn was trying

to get the big hob the was down another tube.(He was stuck up a blind end)

I tried to grab the hob which quickly latched onto my hand (I said Oh dash it all!!!!) :censored:

When I got it off I tried to get the JR and either it or the fox bit my other hand

What a great day !!! and to beat it all had to have a tetinus jab up my arse just in case

That is the gospel truth and I still have the scars to show

Sam

• Like 1

Lost a good jill to a three holer with a vixen and cubs , then bolted a fox out a big sandy burrow another time , think with all this rain there going to be more foxes underground than laying up in cover

at the minute, i would say your more likely to find charlie above ground in cover due to the terrential rain, alot of earths here are flooded, ditches/drains are to. They prefer to be tucked away in bales etc

went out yesterday and we found more above ground than we did to ground which surprised me as there is plenty of holes on the higher ground.................

About 40 years ago I was out with a Jack Russel and a big old Hob I had

just a quick walk

The terrier marked a rabbit hole I netted up and put in the hob

The JR went down the hole with out me knowing next thig I heard an almighty

commotion.

After a dig(with a borrowed spade) I could see the JR baying to a young dog fox which in turn was trying

to get the big hob the was down another tube.(He was stuck up a blind end)

I tried to grab the hob which quickly latched onto my hand (I said Oh dash it all!!!!) :censored:

When I got it off I tried to get the JR and either it or the fox bit my other hand

What a great day !!! and to beat it all had to have a tetinus jab up my arse just in case

That is the gospel truth and I still have the scars to show

Sam

Oh dash it all!! Thats quality stuff lad had me laughing