collie greyhounds

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is mine, 19 mnth old now, and working well, very clever and very commited at work.             Oh yes! and he`s a Hancock dog. Try not to listen to to many people who`ve never owned or e

Stock dog, cattle collie what ever you want to call it is every bit important as the running dog side. A good stock dog that can move a bad cow that wants to eats its lunch day in day out is the kin

having had 3 colliexs with 1x colliex grey Bryn now, never thought collies were added for pre drive. more for (brain,good feet+coat, wind + bidable,) I think the prey drive comes from the running dog

Posted Images

i am new to the site i work a couple of collie greyhounds good dogs work them mainly on rabbits and the odd charlie anyone else useing this type of dog and what do you think about this breed

A honest opinion mate, from having had 3 , got a 1x colliex grey Bryn now. As a rabbiting dog they are very good in the day+ night, but regards all other quarry which are all banned, i think you can get better xs for other quarry. I think a 1/4 collie is enough in any x , when you get more % they can think to much about what job you give them and they can be very sensitive nature, and this temp is one thing that ive (never) liked in any lurcher. Its one reason ive gone for a 1x gsd x grey, as they are like colliexs regards brain, but from what ive been told a tought type temp than colliexs, time will tell. My dog is a very good rabbit dog, he had a (good) night last night a post is on now, but regards other quarry pre ban, as said there are better xs than colliexs for those jobs :yes:

• Like 1

i had a first cross collie grey in my early days of the hunting game and i can tell you that this dog was an exellant alrounder day and night took rabbit, hare, fox, pre ban, he had brains to burn, a very smart and tough dog he stood at 27" and done me proud for many years, sadly i lost him to a liver disease, the biggest regret i have is never keeping a pup from him, heres and old pic of him not a very good pic but here ya go! (big mick) :thumbs:post-7569-0-23315200-1356046231_thumb.jpg

I have a hancock bitch 3/4 greyhound 1/8 beardie 1/8 border had lurchers of all types for over 25 years one of the best dogs i have owned very bright dog the only fault is she over heats in warm weather after a few runs once it drops below 3 degres dog loves will run all night and day she has just a litter 7 weeks ago took her out the other night she was on the rabbits before the whippets

I.m sure like a lot of dogs, given the work and opportunity, any dog stands a good chance. I read a lot of folk slagging the Hancocks, probably most have never seen one work, including myself, but they at least are follwing a make up that is built for the job, think its the stigma that is attached to them now, and cannot see it ever going away. Most dogs are not born doing it they are made.(Although a few are). Sure there are better and worse dogs out there than a Hancock.

Oh we have had collie grey lurcher crosses for a good few generations now, they are cracking rabbit dogs that can see a full day out. A good collie grey will handle anything, a bad one is like any bad cross!