Dog DNA Test

A few people will know that I've often asked what they think is in my lurcher, usual reply is "it's a lurcher, you will never know". Lol.

Well I stumbled across online dog DNA testing the other week. £60 for a kit. You swab the dogs mouth, send it off and they email you the breeds in your dog. Broken down to "significant" "intermediate" and "insignificant" amounts.

They don't ask for a photo or breed type etc. just a swab.

Just had the results back and it says "intermediate amounts of whippet, saluki and greyhound".

I honestly would of bet my life on there being collie in there.

IMG_4506.jpg

Gaz

How long did it take for the kit to come and the test results come back

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They are wasting there time. No body runs hare or deer in England anyway since the ban.   The RSPCA should start spending there money educating the owners of fat pet dogs about animal obesity, not

i suppose if its give you piece of mind, well £60 ok . But most lads just go on good working parents that are doing a good job, and breed from them. My self i only like 2-3 breeds in a lurcher anyway

Dose not matter whats in him mate aslongs as he dose his job and makes you happy

send the rspca to your door thats how there doing alot of guys is it not dna test on there dogs for hare and deer traces ? :hmm:

They are wasting there time. No body runs hare or deer in England anyway since the ban.

The RSPCA should start spending there money educating the owners of fat pet dogs about animal obesity, not pestering us rabbiters.

your sound then just saying i know of 2 cases up here thats how the boys got done with a dna test dont see the point of it imo if it puts your mind at reast fair play :thumbs:

send the rspca to your door thats how there doing alot of guys is it not dna test on there dogs for hare and deer traces ? :hmm:

They are wasting there time. No body runs hare or deer in England anyway since the ban.

The RSPCA should start spending there money educating the owners of fat pet dogs about animal obesity, not pestering us rabbiters.

your sound then just saying i know of 2 cases up here thats how the boys got done with a dna test dont see the point of it imo if it puts your mind at reast fair play :thumbs:

Sorry mate didnt realise what you were getting at.

Understand what you were saying now :thumbs:

• Like 1

Hhhmmmm guess i better stop feeding hare and deer to my dogs as part of there BARF diet.

Serious do they actually do that ? Atb

• Like 1

Hhhmmmm guess i better stop feeding hare and deer to my dogs as part of there BARF diet.

Serious do they actually do that ? Atb

Yeh they do mate.

A few people will know that I've often asked what they think is in my lurcher, usual reply is "it's a lurcher, you will never know". Lol.

Well I stumbled across online dog DNA testing the other week. £60 for a kit. You swab the dogs mouth, send it off and they email you the breeds in your dog. Broken down to "significant" "intermediate" and "insignificant" amounts.

Just had the results back and it says "intermediate amounts of whippet, saluki and greyhound".

IMG_4506.jpg

Gaz

IMG_4506.jpg

Gaz

well if you are happy with there analysis fair play , i for one am very sceptical of these tests , having spoken to a few folk in the u/s that have had results back baring no relationship whatsoever to the breed of dog they owned ,coulor genetic identity seems to be very acurate ,breed type genetic tests apear to be very hit and miss
  • Like 1

I was very sceptical myself mate. I honestly expected it to ask "possible breeds" on the paperwork or ask for a photo so they could guess etc.

Or I thought it might come back with "bullmastiff x collie" and have wasted £60. Lol.

Gaz

I always thought that DNA couldn't be used to determine breeds unless it's used with a comprehensive DNA DATABASE so that the dogs that are in your dog would have to have their DNA catalogued as well. It's like if you take the DNA of a ped whippet I don't think they can determine whether it's had some non ped blood sneaked into it's ped simply by looking at the DNA only by comparing it with the DNA of it's supposed ancestors which would have to be on database as well. I may be wrong but I'd keep my money in my pocket

• Like 1

I always thought that DNA couldn't be used to determine breeds unless it's used with a comprehensive DNA DATABASE so that the dogs that are in your dog would have to have their DNA catalogued as well. It's like if you take the DNA of a ped whippet I don't think they can determine whether it's had some non ped blood sneaked into it's ped simply by looking at the DNA only by comparing it with the DNA of it's supposed ancestors which would have to be on database as well. I may be wrong but I'd keep my money in my pocket

yes that is my understanding of it aswell :thumbs: there is a few companys set up and seem to be cashing in on this with very scetchy results i think one such is called vetgen ..

If every dog by law was dna tested at birth it may be possible but I'd agree with Riohog it's probably not very accurate

my bitch was dna tested shortly after birth but, that was only to prove parantage ,as both parents were swabbed and pups aswell it doesent determain breed...this was mandatory folr regestration in dwzrv " regestration germany."